Official Candyman Thread

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Overall I really enjoyed it. The thing that impressed me the most is the mood it builds right up until the carnage unveils itself. Thought it did an amazing job capturing that same sense of dread that made the original’s story so hard to watch unfold, yet your eyes were still glued to the screen. Same applied to this one for me. The score still shines through in Philip Glass’s absence and there were some super cool shots in this. It pays respect to the OG while still doing its own thing.

The pay-off at the end was so worth it. Yes, the third act could’ve used some tightening, it did feel kinda rushed, but I’m still not too sure why the audiences from the early screenings made the film out to be a total stinker. Maybe some of its subject matter ruffled some feathers. :mjpls:It really doesn’t suffer from the sequel curse that many other films usually fall victim to, which I was relieved to see. My arms are open if there are more sequels on the way.

Can I also mention how good Vanessa Williams looked in this for her age? Black truly doesn’t crack. :noah:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Overall I really enjoyed it. The thing that impressed me the most is the mood it builds right up until the carnage unveils itself. Thought it did an amazing job capturing that same sense of dread that made the original’s story so hard to watch unfold, yet your eyes were still glued to the screen. Same applied to this one for me. The score still shines through in Philip Glass’s absence and there were some super cool shots in this. It pays respect to the OG while still doing its own thing.

The pay-off at the end was so worth it. Yes, the third act could’ve used some tightening, it did feel kinda rushed, but I’m still not too sure why the audiences from the early screenings made the film out to be a total stinker. Maybe some of its subject matter ruffled some feathers. :mjpls:It really doesn’t suffer from the sequel curse that many other films usually fall victim to, which I was relieved to see. My arms are open if there are more sequels on the way.

Can I also mention how good Vanessa Williams looked in this for her age? Black truly doesn’t crack. :noah:

We all know that was it. But I feel like that might have been a small faction of :mjpls: viewers that was trying to spread that bullshyt to give the film some bad press and the shyt did not work :russ:. Damn I wish I remember that youtuber that was quoting the test screen reactions. We should spam that video page.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I didn't really like it. It's pretty much the standard black horror (Peele) film. His fingerprints are definitely noticeable. It's too heavy handed for me, in a lot of places,, but I guess I have to accept that I'm in the era of yelling the message. I think it did a nice job paying homage to the OG, but with the way it was set up, it really didn't need to. The 3rd did NOT pay off.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I actually thought the running time was a plus. Refreshing to see something come in around 90 mins. Most slashers were around that time back in the day.
I’m fine with how it turned out. Though considering how long we’ve been waiting to see Candyman on the big screen, I definitely wouldn’t have minded a longer run-time. Yahya’s journey deserves a longer run-time. I also don’t know what the disconnect was script-wise in the final act, but if the story marinated more there then this joint would be one of my all-time favorites.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I’m fine with how it turned out. Though considering how long we’ve been waiting to see Candyman on the big screen, I definitely wouldn’t have minded a longer run-time. Yahya’s journey deserves a longer run-time. I also don’t know what the disconnect was script-wise in the final act, but if the story marinated more there then this joint would be one of my all-time favorites.

Cant wait to see this so I can share my thoughts. Did the movie feel long and then it just abruptly ended?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
We all know that was it. But I feel like that might have been a small faction of :mjpls: viewers that was trying to spread that bullshyt to give the film some bad press and the shyt did not work :russ:. Damn I wish I remember that youtuber that was quoting the test screen reactions. We should spam that video page.
I need to see that. :mjlol:

So many white folks at my screening you’d think a new Tarantino just dropped. I swear I could feel the blood boiling in their faces as they walked out of the theater.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Cant wait to see this so I can share my thoughts. Did the movie feel long and then it just abruptly ended?
Movie didn’t feel long to me. The climax felt like the writers pretty much said “Aight fukk it, let’s just get down to it and wrap it up.” The ending is still effective, but it could’ve been way better had more time was spent building up to that magic moment.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Just got back from it. I thought it was excellent. Better than the first imo. It takes some of the themes that were there and really goes all in on them.

Mateen was fantastic. Some solid slasher action too. Conservatives gonna be BIG MAD.

at the end he says of the victims 'they'll say you're innocent but you're not' which makes sense for that group of kills but if that's his MO why he just showing up in kids bathrooms bodying them too?
That confused me as well.

And that whole restroom scene with the girls seemed like it was just trying to get the overall body count up rather than add anything of substance to the story. Felt out of place during a stretch where I thought the film was hitting its stride well.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That confused me as well.

And that whole restroom scene with the girls seemed like it was just trying to get the overall body count up rather than add anything of substance to the story. Felt out of place during a stretch where I thought the film was hitting its stride well.

Now I haven't seen this film but..
In the old films, Candyman kills anybody who summons him. It keeps the legend alive.