Official Candyman Thread

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Overall, Is it a good film or not?

I've heard rumblings from one of those insider Twitter accounts that it tested poorly.

I was shown random clips from the movie at a film festival. Everything what I saw I had no complaints. Those Twitter accounts I am calling bullshyt just because the movie does seem to push a cop narrative and white folks are not liking that.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I mean as long as its handle well I got no prob with it being a BLM movie :yeshrug:

Just hoping its not like "Them" tho. While beautifully made some of the themes werent as nuanced

I do understand brehs who just wanted a good Candyman movie as well tho :manny:. That it had themes as well, but it didnt come at the expense of the horror.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
I was shown random clips from the movie at a film festival. Everything what I saw I had no complaints. Those Twitter accounts I am calling bullshyt just because the movie does seem to push a cop narrative and white folks are not liking that.
Uh oh! Spaghetti-O's!!

5pcUsR0.png

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean as long as its handle well I got no prob with it being a BLM movie :yeshrug:

Just hoping its not like "Them" tho. While beautifully made some of the themes werent as nuanced

I do understand brehs who just wanted a good Candyman movie as well tho :manny:. That it had themes as well, but it didnt come at the expense of the horror.

I want mostly horror with maybe some racial undertones like the first.

Every now and then I want to see a Black film that doesn't try to overtly address racial and social issues. Where Black people just exist and be ordinary characters in an ordinary film. Don't get it twisted, I'm not on that "no politics" BS because I think those films should still be made. But it's time for more Black creatives to start prioritizing escapism over social commentary.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Every now and then I want to see a Black film that doesn't try to overtly address racial and social issues. Where Black people just exist and be ordinary characters in an ordinary film. Don't get it twisted, I'm not on that "no politics" BS because I think those films should still be made. But it's time for more Black creatives to start prioritizing escapism over social commentary.

Candyman was always about social commentary though. Also the sequel was made in 2019, prior to what happened 2020. Like I said earlier this movie will be divisive based on your thoughts on how you feel about injustice or social commentary about race and class. But no worries this movie is not a white man bad type of film.

Daps

Were your eyes closed throughout the first one because how do you write such dumb shyt? You really cannot make this shyt up

Daps

The first one is actually about race through and through, not in the way that y’all swear a race joke in something makes it about race nowadays. In addition, the rest of your post is bullshyt because the majority of projects starring Black People are not about race. If you whiners online who swear that every project with Black people never has any levity allow Space Jam 2 to bomb in July, y’all need to never say shyt again. The whining become and the avoidance of actually supporting the things that you say you want has become BEYOND annoying

Last edited: