Official Candyman Thread

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
It was one of those movies you had to mentally try to block out, until you saw that movie sitting on the shelves at your local Blockbuster or retail store. Than your heart starts to beat fast and you start to remember how terrifying that movie was.
i watched it during its original theater run...you could hear a pin drop...everyone was shook as fukk leaving that theater smh

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
What were the initial reactions and what were people saying about the film when it first came out?
man i was a kid...11-12..my friend's older brother took all of us to see it...it was a movie i had no business seeing at the age...i dont really remember the overall impressions other than anyone i knew that saw it was like :damn:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
man i was a kid...11-12..my friend's older brother took all of us to see it...it was a movie i had no business seeing at the age...i dont really remember the overall impressions other than anyone i knew that saw it was like :damn:

Prior to watching this film as a kid, I thought it an action thriller similar. Boy I was wrong,my mom didnt warn me and she rented that shyt for me to watch. :damn:

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
I think the remake of Suspiria (2018) had the right kinda look for an up to date Candyman (not saying in terms of film quality...i know its a divisive film)

However, as I said earlier the new Candyman trailer does kinda work on its own. So great points made by @Makavalli

Suspiria is such a trash fukking movie but the camera work and the lighting :wow: I see what you saying, og candyman has those muted colors as well and it feels like a frigid movie... that adds to the HEAVINESS of the movie, its a murderous black ghost taking his revenge in the projects, shyts not supposed to feel light. I still have high hopes for the reboot, hopefully its on some hereditary type time with the pacing

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Peels is the producer. A black woman named Nina DaCosta is directing.

Thank you for correction, I haven't followed very closely, but I do think the composition of the shots is the same, or very close, to what he used in "Us", and "Get Out", to a lesser extent. I have only seen parts of Candyman, over the years, but I remember watching some on AMC one overcast morning a few years ago around Halloween, and it was really creepy and grungy, it felt foreboding just watching a few minutes. It's a legendary sleepover type movie, I heard about more than I ever saw in the mid 90's.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Prior to watching this film as a kid, I thought it an action thriller similar. Boy I was wrong,my mom didnt warn me and she rented that shyt for me to watch. :damn:

lmfao they had us watching so much wild ish as kids, probably why im so desensitized to stuff now

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Thank you for correction, I haven't followed very closely, but I do think the composition of the shots is the same, or very close, to what he used in "Us", and "Get Out", to a lesser extent. I have only seen parts of Candyman, over the years, but I remember watching some on AMC one overcast morning a few years ago around Halloween, and it was really creepy and grungy, it felt foreboding just watching a few minutes. It's a legendary sleepover type movie, I heard about more than I ever saw in the mid 90's.

Great horror film to watch with a group of friends.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
What were the initial reactions and what were people saying about the film when it first came out?

I was 16 when the first one came out, the reaction among horror fans was very good. Clive Barker had the horror game on lock.
Too bad he fumbled it all, though. shyt makes me angry just thinking about it. :martin:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
They might as well gon' head and do a Hellraiser reboot too.

These new horror flicks dont do it for me at all. We seen it all and the usage of cgi just talkes you out the element. IT Chapter 2 suffered from wack cgi.

I prefer my horror to be more cerebral/psychological nowadays because I'm largely desensitized from gore. It has to be a good mind fukk or sum'n thought provoking for it to do da trick nowadays.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
These new horror flicks dont do it for me at all. We seen it all and the usage of cgi just talkes you out the element. IT Chapter 2 suffered from wack cgi.

yeah, I will say the 1st one actually did its job with 'sticking with me' where I had dreams of some of the images lol. But even then IT leaned more on the Fantasy line that the pure horror side for me.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
What ?this isn’t peeles movie

Nah, its not from a directing standpoint. But he's producing (and he was the brainchild of doing a reboot/sequel in the 1st place) and he has the most noticeable name (you know how this works), and you can feel his fingerprint all throughout that trailer.

Last edited: