Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@Realdealholy you over there putting in WORK in the CBR forum:whew:

Even though T'Challa, in my eyes, will always and forever be the true Black Panther and King of Wakanda, your posts have opened me up to a greater appreciation of Shuri as an important character in the BP mythos

Much appreciated breh. Like you and many others, T'Challa is my favorite character, and I prefer that he is king. Thus, the minute Shuri had the spot for a bit, fans immediately pushed back on Shuri, despite the positives. Which I understand.

However, fans have to realize that its not a good look for a franchise to be THAT top heavy (its currently T'Challa and no one of relevance). Look at all the most popular characters in comics, they have the franchise player, then the second option, and even a third. T'Challa doesn't solidly have that yet.

Shuri is literally the ONLY other viable BP character besides T'Challa who can be used in major events / other books. More importantly, she is not her brother in many ways. I like the fact that she the more traditional of the two. I like that she's much more direct. And I especially like that she's 100% Wakanda-First. All she needs is a bit more development and her own adventures and she'll be alright.

Wakandan traditionalism / pro-wakandanism has usually been portrayed as somewhat of a bad look. M'Baku and Hunter have portrayed those beliefs in comics, but, imho, their extremes in actions (Hunter would do the most fukked up stuff to be accepted in Wakanda) and extremes in ideology (M'Baku is way too traditional) only make T'Challa look good in the grand scheme of things. Shuri's version of being pro-wakandan is much more moderate and, when compared to T'Challa's more "progressive" views, it actually might get you like :jbhmm:. This is especially the case in New Avengers / TRO. She is actually a very good character in that story arc and is one of the very few things I give Hickman much props for. Which is one of the reasons why I find his version of T'Challa so frustrating.

A sidenote: Based on the breadcrumbs left from New Avengers / TRO / Secret wars and how the mainstream appears to really like that portrayal of T'Challa, I have a feeling that as he rises in popularity, there will be subtle changes in his view, actions, and directives as a BP and a king. I think T'Challa will be slowly molded as a leader who not only feels Wakanda should be more active in world affairs, but should be on some "save the world, be more open and accepting, kumbaya" type of stuff. I also think that the more mainstream T'Challa becomes, the more he will be subtly molded to be more acceptable to "western" sensibilities.

Which is why I hope that Shuri is not only still around but gets a push. She won't be and prolly never will be as popular as T'Challa. However, besides being a strong, steadfast black female character who is a highly-trained warrior, her political views will help balance all the potential fukkery we may witness in the BP mythos.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
#blackexcellence

xy741xa.jpg

2zog9hh.jpg

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It pains me how badly John Stewart, Mr. Terrific and Static Shock have been hoe'd by DC compared to T'Challa, Luke and Miles. Hell, BP is only now seeing better days but Stewart doesn't get shyt in the comics and still may end up as 'black best friend' status in the GLC "buddy cop" film, only thing Michael **** got going for him is being repackaged as a limp wrist gay guy in one of those CW shows, and Virgil is no where in sight even after those jaden smith rumors.

T'Challa and Stewart are my 1a and 1b interchangeable black excellence characters, so it's tough seeing the literal night and day contrast in their promotion.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It pains me how badly John Stewart, Mr. Terrific and Static Shock have been hoe'd by DC compared to T'Challa, Luke and Miles. Hell, BP is only now seeing better days but Stewart doesn't get shyt in the comics and still may end up as 'black best friend' status in the GLC "buddy cop" film, only thing Michael **** got going for him is being repackaged as a limp wrist gay guy in one of those CW shows, and Virgil is no where in sight even after those jaden smith rumors.

T'Challa and Stewart are my 1a and 1b interchangeable black excellence characters, so it's tough seeing the literal night and day contrast in their promotion.

I'm STILL mad they went with lame ass Cyborg over John Stewart for the Justice League movie. The token black character isn't even fully fukking HUMAN:camby:

Static Shock I feel like they are consciously holding back. Static has the crossover appeal to be HUGE, there's simply no good reason whatsoever why he hasn't been used in any meaningful way since Young Justice.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I'm STILL mad they went with lame ass Cyborg over John Stewart for the Justice League movie. The token black character isn't even fully fukking HUMAN:camby:

Static Shock I feel like they are consciously holding back. Static has the crossover appeal to be HUGE, there's simply no good reason whatsoever why he hasn't been used in any meaningful way since Young Justice.
Yea they've been planning that Cyborg bullshyt for years too. About 5-6 years ago DC rebooted/reset their entire comics universe, including re-doing the entire Justice League origin story but in this interpretation they made Cyborg a founding member instead of Martian Manhunter.

That was a red flag to me BACK THEN b/c why would you suddenly promote a character known as a teen titan to replace MM when there were more prestigious characters and, if we're talkin racial reasons, an infinitely more prestigious and popular black character in John Stewart? The answer to me was simple: they hoped to simply swap the green guy's "token spot" with a black guy so they could get away with keepin the rest of the roster white. i.e. they'd rather sacrifice Martian Manhunter and throw an illogical choice in there, than face the obvious logical insertion of John Stewart to replace Hal Jordan.

But here's the thing, in the 4+ years that Cyborg was on the team... he literally did NOTHING but monitor duty in the watch tower. That was literally his shtick, just brood about how his life sucked when he wasn't Batman's personal calculator. He was also the only JL member not to have his own book or any development or supporting cast or love interest. It wasn't until just last year when they announced him in the Justice League and having a solo film, and got MAJOR backlash from fans calling them out on their bullshyt (fuk u doin puttin him on the team instead of Stewart and you ain't even done shyt with him to make him in any bit appealing) that they finally realized that they fuked up and scrambled to get him a solo book and build some credibility. lol good luck with that.

Hell, the only reason why they ain't announced a definitive Green Lantern yet, i bet, is because they know they fukked up and the second they were to announce Hal Jordan as 'the' GL, they'd HEAR it for their bullshyt. Hence why IMO they're wishy washy with this buddy cop stuff and with any concrete news pertaining to official castings. I'll watch this Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad but any long term support of the DCU on my end is squarely contingent on what they announce with Stewart. The exact same stance I had with Marvel prior to the BP announcements and follow through.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

I always assume it's because they don't have certain rights with Milestone.

Regardless it's ridiculous that the "Static Shock" animated series isn't available to stream & buy on various SVOD/VOD services & on DVD.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
And i'm far too old to indulge in such things but I do appreciate things like this:
marvels-captain-america-civil-war-6-inch-legends-series-action-figure-assortment-black-pantherjpg-c73ce4_400w.jpg

However, I may fukk around and get this:

Mainstream toys of blackcellence is the shyt that i like

as a collector's item.
Just pre-ordered that Funko joint from this site bigbadtoystore.com

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Conceptualizing the Black Panther

9472ddbb6.jpg

bce769e25.jpg

Above we have a sketch of T’Challa dabbin’ on dem folks courtesy of Brian Stelfreeze. Obviously, I can’t really take much credit for this sketch. Brian has this great ability, not just to interpret script direction, but to actually add on and make something new and beautiful.

With that said I’d like to talk some about T’Challa’s major challenge in this first season of Black Panther. (Here’s hoping there will be more.) When I accepted the task of writing the new Black Panther comic, I was faced with an obvious question—Who is this guy? There was the obvious and the known—T’Challa is the ruler of the mythical African nation of Wakanda. But to write, I needed to develop a grounded theory of T’Challa’s great loves, small annoyances and everything in between. The grounding came from past depictions of T’Challa by writers like Don McGregor, Christopher Priest, Reginald Hudlin and Jonathan Hickman.

I also had to create some sort of working theory about Wakanda, and to the extent to which I came to one it is this: Wakanda is a contradiction. It is the most advanced nation on Earth, existing under one of the most primitive forms of governance on Earth. In the present telling, Wakanda’s technological superiority goes back centuries. Presumably it’s population is extremely well educated, and yet that population willingly accedes to rule by blood. T’Challa descends from an unbroken line of kings, all who’ve taken up the mantle of the Black Panther. But if you’ve ever studied monarchy, it becomes immediately apparent that the aptitude, or even the desire, to govern isn’t genetic.

Leaving aside the problems of reconciling absolute monarchy with ultra-modernism, there are the actual events in Wakanda which have happened previous writers. In recent years Wakandans have endured a coup courtesy of the villainous Achebe, another courtesy Dr. Doom, the murder of two of T’Challa top lieutenants, a cataclysmic flood courtesy of Prince Namor, the subsequent dissolution of a royal marriage, and finally decimation and conquest at the hands of Thanos’ Black Order. Wakanda had always prided itself on having never been conquered. This is no longer true. What, then, is the country if it is as vulnerable as all others? And what happens to a state when its absolute monarch can no longer fulfill the base requirement of any government—securing the safety of their people?

I tend to think war.
If Coates plays this right, this run might be on some :banderas:.

And Stelfreeze with the art:wow:

EDIT: Cot damn, Wakanda's been taking L after L for 5 years straight. The Golden City needs some W's brehs :mjcry:

Last edited: