Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Saw the movie last night. Absolutely loved it. I don't think it's flawless, but it's beyond superb and is hands down, my fav. MCU film thus far. I do think Winter Soldier & CW did its action better, but overall, I put this over both films cuz it flows even better and its story, acting, characters, music and visuals (aside from some rougher CGI spots) just trumps all the other movies and damn near pretty easily.

Also, while MBJ definitely did his thing and for a 1-shot deal, is definitely MCU movie-verse best villain thus far (also fairly easily as well), I think folks underplay, underrate and overlook how great Chadwick was as BP. His role and actions were more subtle and nuanced and less dynamic than the villain's and also, since there's so many fun, new characters, he's kinda overshadowed in that sense of just wanting to know and being in awe and glee of the newer characters for sure, BUT, I think he does his thing immensely and superbly and only ever so slightly is undercut of the character T'Challa is in the books, but that's much more by writing design than by his acting. I think it still is very much his own movie first and ensemble cast second and just that everyone around him and the visuals and sounds do their thing so much as well that it compliments him as the character and his world so immensely, that I can see how others that either gravitate towards the new/more bombastic things, could see him as slightly 2nd fiddle a bit.

On a personal level, movie is essentially a 10, as it pleased me graciously and left a helluva a mark on all fronts, especially on the thought provoking and heartfelt side. On an objective level, 9.25 for the very small grievances of flaws that it has or where I can see how some folks could feel a bit slighted in some areas, mainly the cgi and overall action (I honestly wish some of the action sequences were just a tad bit longer, especially both fights against Killmonger).

Last edited:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I agree

Ryan coogler really needs more acclaim at being able to nav tough origin based properties. With anything from large gateway knowledgeable properties.
to potentially large gateway properties, that need a special hand to draw without dropping the ball. His management of plot points and weight on film to create fluidity on film are unmatched, for a guy this short into a fill career at his age as a director. As he is really the only new guy in the film community. who can handle the weight and brevity of the content. Without getting overshadowed by the property and also not letting the property stray from a graspable general gateway based scope. Despite the actual content not being a general gateway plot device. Without making the said property to heavy. it can not be re-visited because of the brevity of the content.

All the plot points and management l to setup of any variables to create the end resulting product. Are expertly written, filmed, and edited with high quality sound care.
If Hollywood is looking for a director to save film franchises or launch them.
Plus give them gateway drawing synergy despite a possible disconnect because of content.

Ryan coogler is your choice as the director and writer.

He provides any and all realms of domestic filming encompassed in one film experience. From expert montage usage to down right compelling visuals and a merger of score and tight editing. All backed by incredible gateway execution as a film maker and writer.

If Hollywood needs a guy to make sense of a property or even fix it.

Coogler is the guy.

Real talk,...i would hire him to do justice league, superman and what I feel should be made as a black movie and may surprise some people. Yet, I feel coogler could adapt robotech into a black based film property and real world meets alien tech invasion story rather well.

Plus would be able to drive home the characters and the change of the characters from anime to black as well.

Art Barr

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
I feel like if the final battles weren't as CGI as they were people wouldn't have brought it up so much, but you get the
panthers fight almost completely CGI and then they bring the Rhinos and Bilbo Baggins flying in that plane but not really etc
and it exposes how it definitely isn't top-notch CGI.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
This movie really made me want to go back to Africa again, yes I know Wakanda isn't real anf ish was filmed in a studio in atlanta but just to be in a country where it's all black folks, walking the local market, seeing little black kids running around, old black women selling fruits, the scenery, the weather, the atmosphere, the beautiful black women

I went to Ghana years ago but I was still a pawgin kewn.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
bp's little sister makes this movie so fun from a numerous unsaid perspectives. She made moments in this film feel like that connection you have to other talented spirited people. Except this time it feels like she could be your goat little sister. Like she totally disassembled the idea of enkhi and enil. that ruin and poison the connection of siblings in the world.

She is a great bright eyed character and one of many here.

THIS MOVIE ALSO surpasses the greatest black film ever made. Yet I don not want to name it publically. To keep it from drawing ire and comparison.
Art Barr

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
naw, fukk that....disney/marvel got a clean slate, just like they did with spidey....dont get me wrong, i'm cool with lupita's character being his queen, just would rather it be storm...
Like the homie @the old mongoose said, they killed off a quality character for shyts and giggles. Essentially the entire xmen universe served as a sacrifice for the Wolverine character and Jennifer Lawrence.

Look at it this way the strongest female character, Phoenix, was a throwaway plot to progress the Logan origin. Bishop's origin story IS Days of Future Past and they wrote him so far into the background having him in the movie was damn near affirmative action. When you have an award winning actress like Halle Berry on screen and you give her 3 sentences of dialogue, you are actively trying to nerf her character.

There is no way for them to revitalize Storm's character without reintroducing the xmen origin because they were so god damn terrible handling character development in the movies.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
when she said colonizer the whole theater was laughing, every line she had was great, I would love to see her get a spinoff

bp's little sister makes this movie so fun from a numerous unsaid perspectives. She made moments in this film feel like that connection you have to other talented spirited people. Except this time it feels like she could be your goat little sister. Like she totally disassembled the idea of enkhi and enil. that ruin and poison the connection of siblings in the world.

She is a great bright eyed character and one of many here.

THIS MOVIE ALSO surpasses the greatest black film ever made. Yet I don not want to name it publically. To keep it from drawing ire and comparison.
Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
When klaw pulls up to the club, you know:wow:

The falling was bad. Very cartoony. Once theyre on the bridge it was fine

I did not look at the falling bad.

I looked at it as being connected rather brilliantly.
to what the largest gateway comic book visual is and expressed. Which was also a tongue in cheek rib of dc. By basically using mortal combat meets dc based videogame fight dynamics. On film successfully in a marvel film. While also showing respect to the fact.
black people enjoy the film properties of Jewish superman a dc property. To show respect to the fact black people like and enjoy the idea of Jewish superman and dc has a place in our community. That it cam be incorporated into a marvel property as well.

It was a great homage to coogler not having disconnect.
To how kids in the current Gen experience amd view comic book characters and conflict. By incorporating the most common idea experience and visual style of conflict resolution for the current age, for comic book characters.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
when she said colonizer the whole theater was laughing, every line she had was great, I would love to see her get a spinoff

She could be a great gateway female lead property. like I easily see the cartoon, or tv show for her. Also, colonizer is ....oh we got us one....
Art Barr