All Star
Daps

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Kinda fukked up.

https://pagesix.com/2018/01/31/black-panther-comic-writer-not-invited-to-movie-premiere/

‘Black Panther’ comic writer not invited to movie premiere
By Carlos Greer

January 31, 2018 | 9:37pm

The LA debut of “Black Panther” put most movie premieres to shame with a royal-themed dress code, but the big night also brought disappointment for some.

“My feelings are real hurt that I didn’t get an invite to the [premiere]. I mean goddamn Marvel. Goddamn,” Roxane Gay, co-writer of the comic book series “Black Panther: World of Wakanda” tweeted.

Gay and Yona Harvey in 2016 became the first black women to be lead writers for Marvel.

She added, “I mean. It’s fine. I’M not fancy. Just admitting that my lil feelings were hurt.”

Gay still encouraged people to see the film starring Chadwick Boseman by tweeting: “I hope you all support the movie enthusiastically. By all early accounts, [it] is incredible. And a lot of black work and creativity went into its making.”

Not every writer receives an invite. It happens, unfortunately.

In addition to Roxane Gay, David Liss, Jonathan Mayberry, Nnedi Okorafor, Yona Harvey, Rembert Browne, Peter Gillis, and Jonathan Hickman weren't invited either (I could be wrong on the Hickman part).

Mayberry and Liss had actual BP runs that ran for years. Gillis wrote the second volume of BP. Hickman wrote arguably the biggest moments of T'Challa's, Shuri's, the Dora Milaje's, and Wakanda's publication history and wrote them for years as well. Gay, on her end, only wrote five issues of a BP spin-off book.

Not sure why those writers weren't invited, but Gay not being invited isn't unique to her. I wouldn't be surprise if a similar thing happens to writers of other Marvel franchises as well.

Last edited:

Perfectson

Banned
Daps

:blessed:

Lucky kids, I wished I had this when I was a kid. :to:

Post the same video with a bunch of white kids getting pumped to see a Robert E Lee movie. Same thing only the white kids would be called racists. Black Panthers are a terrorist group and these kids are being raised to follow the same life style. It just sucks that tax payers will have to pay for their prison time.

maaaaayne

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Was the anticipation for spawn and blade like this? I know we didn’t have social media back then but I was to young to really take in the fact that there weren’t any black super heroes like that.

I just remember seeing them shyts like every other block buster.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Was the anticipation for spawn and blade like this? I know we didn’t have social media back then but I was to young to really take in the fact that there weren’t any black super heroes like that.

I just remember seeing them shyts like every other block buster.

No. comicbook movies really weren't a thing yet.