Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
So from the early reactions it seems like while most of the early attention was on Chadwicke, Lupita, and Danai; Coogler was utilizing MJB’s Kilmonger as the movie’s secret weapon :ohhh:

Brilliant :wow:

Coogler set the trap just to see us react
fsnrDjx.png

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Christopher Priest (former BP writer, for those that don't know) just reviewed the movie. No spoilers in the review but will put review in spoiler tags for those who want to avoid any info.

EDIT: Possible spoilers in the first paragraph of this review.

Panther: First Look (No Spoilers) « Welcome To Lamercie Park

Panther: First Look (No Spoilers)
Well, my date and I got stuck in LA traffic and almost missed it. But that story is for another time.

Despite toiling under the now very tired superhero movie formula (Act Three: The Hero Faces Off Against His Doppelganger!) director Ryan Coogler manages to pull off a few surprises– something I honestly did not think possible. This is not my Black Panther– it is a young king who is still learning and thus still growing and thus capable of being surprised in ways my T’Challa never could. Michael B. Jordan’s more linear and bombastic villain’s hip hop soundtrack tends to drown out Chadwick Boseman’s far more nuanced, surgical prince-who-would-be-king, so you’re likely to read lots of praises or complaints about Jordan “stealing” this movie. The actual thieves are the women– Letitia Wright, Danai Gurira, and Lupita Nyong’o, who are given the most dynamic of the action scenes and who, along with an absolutely glorious Angela Bassett, solve all of the plot’s problems (including rescuing T’Challa)–which is both good and bad. But Jordan’s Killmonger is kind of an idiot. He is an idiot who has a legitimate case– real complaints and concerns about Wakandan tradition along with a thirst for simple revenge (revenge always works in plots)– but make no mistake about it: movie Killmonger is an idiot–something he was not in my comics.

While taking absolutely nothing away from Stan Lee, who was one of the people who taught me this biz, or Jack “King” Kirby, I was disappointed and a little disturbed by one thing. I would guess at least 80% of the characters up on that screen were created by Don McGregor, who was in attendance at last night’s premiere. Forget me or Reginald Hudlin or even Ta-Nehisi Coates (who sat with us), the vast and rich infrastructure of this film was a product of years of hard investment by Don, who was paid some paltry page rate. Don built the world of Wakanda, literally, maps of the place and extensive biographies and character sketches. He deserved much more than to be buried in a “Special Thanks” paragraph in the closing credits. Stan wrote, to my knowledge, only one Black Panther story, and Jack jettisoned virtually everything Don did when he did his own run on the book. Black Panther the movie is Don McGregor’s world brought to glorious life. I’d have liked him to have a larger credit for it (and better seats than waaaaay in the back with the rest of us peons).

There are at least four audiences for this film: Black Panther comic book fans, general comic book fans, African American general audiences and general audiences. This film offers high octane entertainment to all of these groups, but it will be the African American general audiences–who neither know nor care who I am–who will struggle the hardest to make it through the first act of this film without tearing up. The film’s glorious fairy tale of a highly advanced African civilization is enough to drop even the most cynical among us to our knees. A love letter to African Americans, the first half hour of this film had me wiping away tears at the sheer beauty of a people–my people–brought to glorious and amazing life in ways I never could on a static comic book page. Here, Black Panther finally had a soundtrack, and it is the soundtrack of my ancestors, my homeland. It was emotionally overwhelming and something I’d not quite prepared myself for.

There are many laugh out loud moments in the film but almost none of them come from Martin Freeman’s Everett K. Ross. Freeman does the best he can, often eliciting big laughs with simple body language and facial expressions–the mark of a master thespian. But the film gives Ross little to do and almost no lines, which will disappoint fans of my run while the other audiences will simply wonder what he was doing there in the first place.

Unfortunately, by either decree or simple fate, and despite my pleadings with the decision makers, Black Panther nonetheless sticks to formula. Are we really not capable of creating a film that resolves its core conflicts without the predictable big fight at the end? The best parts of the film–and there are many–are the places where Coogler is allowed to vary from this formula or, even better, practice a kind of slight of hand where he doesn’t really fool me so much as he waves a hand puppet, “Hey! Look over here!” distracting me long enough that when the film snaps back to formula I am actually surprised where I, a grizzled old writer, really shouldn’t have been.

All of the performances–including Freeman’s–are near-flawless. These are brilliant actors chewing scenery through each and every frame of this film. They all seem to know they are working on a landmark film–likely the biggest-budget blockbuster film with a mostly black cast, and every single actor here rises to the occasion.

While I’d have wished for much more originality in the final act of the film, I do not hold Mr. Coogler responsible for not reinventing the wheel. But I _am_ tired of watching the same movie over and over and over and over and over– And Then They Fight! I like even less the lesson these films repeatedly teach our children: conflict resolution through violence.

Having said that, I am overwhelmed by a sense of relief that the movie far exceeds my fears about what this thing might have been. It is an amazing spectacle with a rich, thick, multi-layered, often conflicted and expertly nuanced pseudo-Hamlet at the center–a brilliant performance that is bound to be overrun by Jordan’s more flamboyant, focused and bombastic challenger. My self-interest in the success of this film notwithstanding, I am confident the film will be a huge hit with African American audiences and certainly with comic book (and comic book film) fans, leaving only Priest-specific Black Panther fans a bit disappointed, and, of course, the Donald Trump crowd who will hate it even as they buy their ticket.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Christopher Priest (former BP writer, for those that don't know) just reviewed the movie. No spoilers in the review but will put review in spoiler tags for those who want to avoid any info.

Panther: First Look (No Spoilers) « Welcome To Lamercie Park

Panther: First Look (No Spoilers)
Well, my date and I got stuck in LA traffic and almost missed it. But that story is for another time.

Despite toiling under the now very tired superhero movie formula (Act Three: The Hero Faces Off Against His Doppelganger!) director Ryan Coogler manages to pull off a few surprises– something I honestly did not think possible. This is not my Black Panther– it is a young king who is still learning and thus still growing and thus capable of being surprised in ways my T’Challa never could. Michael B. Jordan’s more linear and bombastic villain’s hip hop soundtrack tends to drown out Chadwick Boseman’s far more nuanced, surgical prince-who-would-be-king, so you’re likely to read lots of praises or complaints about Jordan “stealing” this movie. The actual thieves are the women– Letitia Wright, Danai Gurira, and Lupita Nyong’o, who are given the most dynamic of the action scenes and who, along with an absolutely glorious Angela Bassett, solve all of the plot’s problems (including rescuing T’Challa)–which is both good and bad. But Jordan’s Killmonger is kind of an idiot. He is an idiot who has a legitimate case– real complaints and concerns about Wakandan tradition along with a thirst for simple revenge (revenge always works in plots)– but make no mistake about it: movie Killmonger is an idiot–something he was not in my comics.

While taking absolutely nothing away from Stan Lee, who was one of the people who taught me this biz, or Jack “King” Kirby, I was disappointed and a little disturbed by one thing. I would guess at least 80% of the characters up on that screen were created by Don McGregor, who was in attendance at last night’s premiere. Forget me or Reginald Hudlin or even Ta-Nehisi Coates (who sat with us), the vast and rich infrastructure of this film was a product of years of hard investment by Don, who was paid some paltry page rate. Don built the world of Wakanda, literally, maps of the place and extensive biographies and character sketches. He deserved much more than to be buried in a “Special Thanks” paragraph in the closing credits. Stan wrote, to my knowledge, only one Black Panther story, and Jack jettisoned virtually everything Don did when he did his own run on the book. Black Panther the movie is Don McGregor’s world brought to glorious life. I’d have liked him to have a larger credit for it (and better seats than waaaaay in the back with the rest of us peons).

There are at least four audiences for this film: Black Panther comic book fans, general comic book fans, African American general audiences and general audiences. This film offers high octane entertainment to all of these groups, but it will be the African American general audiences–who neither know nor care who I am–who will struggle the hardest to make it through the first act of this film without tearing up. The film’s glorious fairy tale of a highly advanced African civilization is enough to drop even the most cynical among us to our knees. A love letter to African Americans, the first half hour of this film had me wiping away tears at the sheer beauty of a people–my people–brought to glorious and amazing life in ways I never could on a static comic book page. Here, Black Panther finally had a soundtrack, and it is the soundtrack of my ancestors, my homeland. It was emotionally overwhelming and something I’d not quite prepared myself for.

There are many laugh out loud moments in the film but almost none of them come from Martin Freeman’s Everett K. Ross. Freeman does the best he can, often eliciting big laughs with simple body language and facial expressions–the mark of a master thespian. But the film gives Ross little to do and almost no lines, which will disappoint fans of my run while the other audiences will simply wonder what he was doing there in the first place.

Unfortunately, by either decree or simple fate, and despite my pleadings with the decision makers, Black Panther nonetheless sticks to formula. Are we really not capable of creating a film that resolves its core conflicts without the predictable big fight at the end? The best parts of the film–and there are many–are the places where Coogler is allowed to vary from this formula or, even better, practice a kind of slight of hand where he doesn’t really fool me so much as he waves a hand puppet, “Hey! Look over here!” distracting me long enough that when the film snaps back to formula I am actually surprised where I, a grizzled old writer, really shouldn’t have been.

All of the performances–including Freeman’s–are near-flawless. These are brilliant actors chewing scenery through each and every frame of this film. They all seem to know they are working on a landmark film–likely the biggest-budget blockbuster film with a mostly black cast, and every single actor here rises to the occasion.

While I’d have wished for much more originality in the final act of the film, I do not hold Mr. Coogler responsible for not reinventing the wheel. But I _am_ tired of watching the same movie over and over and over and over and over– And Then They Fight! I like even less the lesson these films repeatedly teach our children: conflict resolution through violence.

Having said that, I am overwhelmed by a sense of relief that the movie far exceeds my fears about what this thing might have been. It is an amazing spectacle with a rich, thick, multi-layered, often conflicted and expertly nuanced pseudo-Hamlet at the center–a brilliant performance that is bound to be overrun by Jordan’s more flamboyant, focused and bombastic challenger. My self-interest in the success of this film notwithstanding, I am confident the film will be a huge hit with African American audiences and certainly with comic book (and comic book film) fans, leaving only Priest-specific Black Panther fans a bit disappointed, and, of course, the Donald Trump crowd who will hate it even as they buy their ticket.

Shoutouts to Priest but I MUCH prefer Hudlin’s run anyway. His annoyance at the supposed smaller inclusion of a certain character actually makes me happy.

EQ.

Mansur Brown - "Heiwa"
Daps
Reppin
Sunhymns
Head ups, tons of scenes in this 15 minute video of BTS and BP production.

MAAAD SPOILERS!!

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Shoutouts to Priest but I MUCH prefer Hudlin’s run anyway. His annoyance at the supposed smaller inclusion of a certain character actually makes me happy.
To be fair Priest sounding like a real Coli breh with his critiques :patrice:

A few things that he's saying are what people didn't want to see.

I think @Achille posted an interview with Nate Moore saying this story, although using the most inspiration for Priest, was going to be very different.

Its like I told @Birnin Zana its all about the execution :manny:

Maybe they don't have T'Challa 10 steps ahead and maybe the women are very influential and steal the movie.

As long as we got a great first film (even if isn't Priest like many here were hoping) :yeshrug:

While I agree with him that I'm tired of the Doppelganger villain....it seems like this was very well executed :ehh:

Also he was clear in not blaming Coogler. This is just the kind of story Marvel wanted to start off with.

Last edited:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Maaaaaan. I read something in that Priest review that I know will become a core complaint in this thread once the movie is released.

There was already a poster in this thread from the other day that preemptively complained about the women. Sigh, here we go. :francis:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
To be fair Priest sounding like a real Coli breh with his critiques :patrice:

A few things that he's saying are what people didn't want to see.

I think @Achille posted an interview with Nate Moore saying this story, although using the most inspiration from Priest, was going to be very different.

Its like I told @Birnin Zana its all about the execution :manny:

Maybe they don't have T'Challa 10 steps ahead and maybe the women are very influential and steal the movie.

As long as we got a great first film (even if isn't Priest like many here were hoping) :yeshrug:

While I agree with him that I'm tired of the Doppelganger villain....it seems like this was very well executed :ehh:

Also he was clear in not blaming Coogler. This is just the kind of story Marvel wanted to start off with.

I have an opinion I posted on CBR going deeper into my thoughts on the matter. Because I’m trying to respect people’s request for not spoiling I didn’t post it here but I feel like what Priest did with his run was a product of the racist work environment he came up in, and i feel like some of those decisions should be laid to rest as we move forward with a narrative of a black hero NOT needing any white guidance, assistance, or voice telling the story.

Again, it’s one of the main reasons why I will always and forever Champion Hudlin’s run over Priest’s.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Maaaaaan. I read something in that Priest review that I know will become a core complaint in this thread once the movie is released.

There was already a poster in this thread from the other day that preemptively complained about the women. Sigh, here we go. :francis:

Well whats going to be interesting is when the FULL reviews come out. Because the full reviews will have to address T'Challa. Did they reduce his character to highlight others or was he a strong character, but people were excited about new faces. I find it hard to believe Coogler would drop the ball there.
I have an opinion I posted on CBR going deeper into my thoughts on the matter. Because I’m trying to respect people’s request for not spoiling I didn’t post it here but I feel like what Priest did with his run was a product of the racist work environment he came up in, and i feel like some of those decisions should be laid to rest as we move forward with a narrative of a black hero NOT needing any white guidance, assistance, or voice telling the story.

Again, it’s one of the main reasons why I will always and forever Champion Hudlin’s run over Priest’s.
Somebody said it on another forum, but sometimes comic writers should just stick to comics. Cause Priest would have had T'Challa/Ross on some Rush Hour shyt :russ: