Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I hope poc come through for Ava sake cuz its not going to be a good look having the headline of one of the biggest flop of 2018

Nobody watched that

Watching that Jay Z music video Ava directed I had two concerns..

Michael B. Jordan's ability to play a tough guy and just how weird that video reminded me them of A Wrinkle in Time trailers.

Not worried about MBJ as he just coasted for the check, but yea worried a bit for Ava with that movie. Even she said she's not sure how people will respond. :lupe:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Watching that Jay Z music video Ava directed I had two concerns..

Michael B. Jordan's ability to play a tough guy and just how weird that video reminded me them of A Wrinkle in Time trailers.

Not worried about MBJ as he just coasted for the check, but yea worried a bit for Ava with that movie. Even she said she's not sure how people will respond. :lupe:
:francis:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Now that I think about the headline reads different that what she was trying to say.

Speaking at the New Yorker Festival on Saturday night, Ava DuVernay told the crowd she didn’t know what audiences will think of her vision for Disney’s A Wrinkle in Time. “We’re really really in the weeds on trying to finish the movie right now,” she said. “I love it, but I don’t know how it’s going to be received. I feel something very deep in my gut when Oprah’s voice says, ‘There’s a darkness in the world and the only one who can stop it is …’ smash cut to a black girl. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know if people are going to feel that like I feel that.”

DuVernay said this is the first time she’s experiencing such uncertainty. “With The 13th, I was, You know what. I don’t care. This is what I want to put out. If people get it, they get it. If they don’t, I’m onto the next,” she said. “With Selma, I was like, You know what, I’m nervous … But I know that I believe in this. I know that this is a record, and it needs to be there. Some other people are going to get this. This, I don’t know.”
Ava DuVernay Is Not Sure If You’re Going to Like A Wrinkle in Time

Still I'm hoping for the best

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
26068550_395215330917853_1217709406934794240_n.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
I hope poc come through for Ava sake cuz its not going to be a good look having the headline of one of the biggest flop of 2018

Nobody watched that
She kinda screwed herself by passing on this to do a wrinkle in time

I'm happy Coogler is doing this instead of her tho even tho Ava is a strong director

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

I'm happy Coogler is doing this instead of her tho even tho Ava is a strong director
I'm sure she's helping out since their editing room is right next to each other.

I respect her for passing on this if she didn't feel she could do this under Marvel's watchful eye.

Coogler/Marvel looks like they really on the same page making this. I would have been interested in seeing her vision tho. Or at least hearing her pitch.

Maybe she'd be more comfortable for a sequel. Coogler may have interest in other projects.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

She didn’t screw herself she WOULD have screwed BP over if she had taken on the project just to take it on without any type of connection to the material.

Coogler had connection to the material. He was excited to do it, and by all accounts we have a fantastic end product to loom forward too. Ava had a connection to Wrinkle In Time and I hope she knocks it out of the park...

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
She didn’t screw herself she WOULD have screwed BP over if she had taken on the project just to take it on without any type of connection to the material.

Coogler had connection to the material. He was excited to do it, and by all accounts we have a fantastic end product to loom forward too. Ava had a connection to Wrinkle In Time and I hope she knocks it out of the park...
I think Ava was excited to do it...

They just had conflicting views.
I'm not signing on to direct Black Panther. I think I’ll just say we had different ideas about what the story would be. Marvel has a certain way of doing things and I think they’re fantastic and a lot of people love what they do. I loved that they reached out to me.
In the end, it comes down to story and perspective. And we just didn't see eye to eye. Better for me to realize that now than cite creative differences later.
Coogler was probably good with going the Priest route with Black Panther.
It’s perfect for Ryan Coogler. I mean, perfect for Ryan Coogler, a great friend of mine. He’s already killing it. Every time I talk to him I’m just blown away by some of the things that they’re talking about. Fans are over the moon already, I don’t know if you saw the hashtag trending every time anything comes out for Black Panther: #BlackPantherSoLit. I’m the first person on there typing away. I’m already in line actually; I’m not here, I’m in line for Black Panther already – so excited for it.

Coogler knows how to make that big action movie with depth.
Ava maybe wanted to go another direction. She might have wanted to ground the story more in reality or just didn't have the vision for making that kind of movie in a studio. :manny:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
What I will say is that Creed is what got Feige to give Coogler the control he wants. I read somewhere that it was Kevin Feige's favorite film of 2015. However, before that Coogler wasn't Marvel's #1 choice. Ava and then Straight Outta Compton's F. Gary Gray were ahead of Coogler. They both passed on it. Feige saw Creed and said fukk it and gave him more control than normal imo. Knew that by letting him bring in his own people.

So it worked out. If Ava or F. Gary Gray signed on Marvel might have tried to be more controlling. Creed won them over so much that they got a great director and ended up giving him more control.