Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
What I will say is that Creed is what got Feige to give Coogler the control he wants. I read somewhere that it was Kevin Feige's favorite film of 2015. However, before that Coogler wasn't Marvel's #1 choice. Ava and then Straight Outta Compton's F. Gary Gray were ahead of Coogler. They both passed on it. Feige saw Creed and said fukk it and gave him more control than normal imo. Knew that by letting him bring in his own people.

So it worked out. If Ava or F. Gary Gray signed on Marvel might have tried to be more controlling. Creed won them over so much that they got a great director and ended up giving him more control.

I wonder why F.Gary Gray passed.

There was also talk of the Director from Dope being in early talks as well huI that might have just been rumor

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I wonder why F.Gary Gray passed.

There was also talk of the Director from Dope being in early talks as well huI that might have just been rumor

Yea I remember they were looking at him too. However, probably had Ava as their #1. So once she passed they might have been looking at Rick as a fallback option. Cause he was quick to sign up for the The Flash months later. Didn't work out so again maybe he would have run into the same problems if Marvel signed him.

Here's whats crazy about F. Gary Gray..

Marvel been had conversations with him for years so it made sense they would want him. Especially after Straight Outta Compton. However, they originally were considering giving him the The Winter Soldier years ago, but he was dead set on making Straight Outta Compton.
F. Gary Gray Traded 'Captain America' For 'Straight Outta Compton'

Funny how things would have changed..

Like I said Creed was a game changer

Ryan Coogler struck an excellent balance between art and commerce with Creed.

Best movie of last year.

What do you think he’ll bring to Black Panther?

I think he’ll bring all of that [to the film]. He’s already been involved for some months now. We’ve been working with him on the story. He watched early cuts of this film, and he gave very good feedback about Black Panther. I just think he’s one of the best filmmakers today. Creed, I think, was my favorite movie last year.
Kevin Feige Interview for Captain America: Civil War

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
She kinda screwed herself by passing on this to do a wrinkle in time

I'm happy Coogler is doing this instead of her tho even tho Ava is a strong director

I don't think she screwed herself at all because I don't think she cares that much about doing big budget tentpole films. She passed on Black Panther because she didn't feel she'd be able to make the film the way she wanted to, and she picked A Wrinkle in Time because it was a project she was passionate about.

I think Coogler is the same way in some respects, his next film is another indie flick with MBJ.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What I will say is that Creed is what got Feige to give Coogler the control he wants. I read somewhere that it was Kevin Feige's favorite film of 2015. However, before that Coogler wasn't Marvel's #1 choice. Ava and then Straight Outta Compton's F. Gary Gray were ahead of Coogler. They both passed on it. Feige saw Creed and said fukk it and gave him more control than normal imo. Knew that by letting him bring in his own people.

So it worked out. If Ava or F. Gary Gray signed on Marvel might have tried to be more controlling. Creed won them over so much that they got a great director and ended up giving him more control.

They have been generally less hands on in Phase 3 because they don't have to answer to Perlmutter anymore. As you noticed, Thor Ragnarok was pretty much a Taika Waititi film in big budget sci-fi clothing. If that movie was made back in Phase 2, a character like Korg would have never been in it or if he was, he would have been radically different.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

And it has worked out so well.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
terwgp62yz4jchfuentc.gif

:blessed::tachalla:

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
They have been generally less hands on in Phase 3 because they don't have to answer to Perlmutter anymore. As you noticed, Thor Ragnarok was pretty much a Taika Waititi film in big budget sci-fi clothing. If that movie was made back in Phase 2, a character like Korg would have never been in it or if he was, he would have been radically different.
True, but I still think Taika and Coogler earned a bit more pull off their previous work.

Doctor Strange seemed more controlled. Same for Spider Man Homecoming.