Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That is weird.

The character was treated like shyt before Priest came along. Then during the Hudlin run you had people spreading a narrative that T'Challa was perfect and had no flaws.

There's a depth to the character that you wont actually get until actually bother to sit down and read the actual stories and not just skim a fukking wiki page.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
You gotta think about that it.

A lot of us didn’t grow up with many positive images of black males, let alone superhero’s. Even the late 90’s Blade films weren’t “superhero” movies as much as they were “antihero” movies.

The ONE positive black male hero we got on screen was Will Smith, as he was more “cool and hip” than he was regal.

We got two black heroes in animation. Static Shock and John Stewart, who were superb but still grounded in some sort of reality..

Now here comes Black Panther. A character who wasn’t really pushed that much during his early days save for the token black guy. Priest gave him a MUCH needed face lift but that was in the late 90’s, DECADES after the character had been introduced.

So you’ve got a generation of you black People (males in particular) who haven’t been exposed to much in the way of black heroics. Then they see a black man, who is not only a hero but a KING of the most technologically advanced nation on earth. Who can go toe to toe with Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man, and also OUTHINK them...

I’m sure it can be kind of overwhelming to see such an unabashedly bad ass version of black fantasy.

Coates himself has admitted as much. For all of his supposed “wokeness” he couldn’t appreciate Black Panther and approach the character without attempting to “fix” him (meaning strip of him of his confidence, self assuredness, and nobility) and make him into a more “human” (meaning castrated of his established characterization) character.
Sometimes people gotta shake the crabs in a barrel mentality that society aims to indoctrinate us into when it comes to depictions of successful black people or black imagery.

Black Panther is perfect the same way Batman, Superman and Captain America is perfect. But since the industry is oversatured with "perfect" white heroes, it becomes a norm and an overlooked offense to many. Whereas in the very rare times a black person is introduced on that level or superior... then we have 'problems' and push back.

I applaud Coogler for doing his due diligence to combat feelings of that sort. I applaud Hudlin for not giving a fukk and embracing such a character the same way white creators embrace "perfect" white super heroes.

And I appreciate Priest for seeing the bullshyt previous white creators put T'Challa through and saying "hell nah.. we gon upgrade his entire style".

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
A hudlin fan. Name some if his other work in comics.
Priest made black panther everything it is today.

Who gives a fukk what else he did or didn’t do in comics? This is about BLACK PANTHER and Hudlin is the strongest BP writer since Priest.

Of course Priest made BP what he is today. But Hudlin put him center stage during the Civil War event, and also didn’t have some white boy narrating BP’s own story. Hudlin’s BP was unashamedly and unabashedly badass, and though not so much the tactician Priest’s version was, certainly a force to reckon with.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Who gives a fukk what else he did or didn’t do in comics? This is about BLACK PANTHER and Hudlin is the strongest BP writer since Priest.

Of course Priest made BP what he is today. But Hudlin put him center stage during the Civil War event, and also didn’t have some white boy narrating BP’s own story. Hudlin’s BP was unashamedly and unabashedly badass, and though not so much the tactician Priest’s version was, certainly a force to reckon with.

center stage via a random marriage?

jackson35

Banned
Daps

A lot of us didn’t grow up with many positive images of black males, let alone superhero’s. Even the late 90’s Blade films weren’t “superhero” movies as much as they were “antihero” movies.

The ONE positive black male hero we got on screen was Will Smith, as he was more “cool and hip” than he was regal.

We got two black heroes in animation. Static Shock and John Stewart, who were superb but still grounded in some sort of reality..

Now here comes Black Panther. A character who wasn’t really pushed that much during his early days save for the token black guy. Priest gave him a MUCH needed face lift but that was in the late 90’s, DECADES after the character had been introduced.

So you’ve got a generation of you black People (males in particular) who haven’t been exposed to much in the way of black heroics. Then they see a black man, who is not only a hero but a KING of the most technologically advanced nation on earth. Who can go toe to toe with Iron Man, Captain America, and Spider-Man, and also OUTHINK them...

I’m sure it can be kind of overwhelming to see such an unabashedly bad ass version of black fantasy.

Coates himself has admitted as much. For all of his supposed “wokeness” he couldn’t appreciate Black Panther and approach the character without attempting to “fix” him (meaning strip of him of his confidence, self assuredness, and nobility) and make him into a more “human” (meaning castrated of his established characterization) character.
it's not a question of not having positive images. it's a question of being honest about the existence of certain type of black folks and whether or not we would fukk with them. we always had strong hero types in our hoods, we just didn't pay attention.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Name one good story arc from huldin

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Everything you're saying is true...

I think it could also simply be the whole Superman complex. Coogler basically said Black Panther has everything.

Right after that quote you see we'll see BP at his most vulnerable

He adds, “In our film, you find him at a time where he lost his father, the most important person in his life. He’s inheriting this incredible responsibility. He’s inheriting it at a time when Wakanda is struggling what its identity might be and the people have different ideas of what they should do. He’s incredibly conflicted but is aware of his responsibility of what to do.”

Coogler usually deals with complex situations and characters. If you look on the surface I can understand Coogler's initial POV. Its probably why some feel like he could direct a Batman film long before he got signed on to Black Panther. Look at Fruitvale and Creed. Such flawed, but deep people as the main characters.

Thankfully Coogler delved deeper to find something that resonates in the character with him.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I'll also add don't be surprised if Killmonger represents that initial feeling of Coogler towards Black Panther. The one who had to do without the father, thats been kicked out and left alone.

Black Panther is everything we should strive to be, but once given those gifts how will we handle it?
Killmonger represents those who hate people who've got everything. The truth is the "hate" really is of self.

As long as the editors/Marvel lets him cook this will be Marvel's most complex villain. Loki's beef with Thor will seem petty compared to Killmonger.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
Sometimes people gotta shake the crabs in a barrel mentality that society aims to indoctrinate us into when it comes to depictions of successful black people or black imagery.

Black Panther is perfect the same way Batman, Superman and Captain America is perfect. But since the industry is oversatured with "perfect" white heroes, it becomes a norm and an overlooked offense to many. Whereas in the very rare times a black person is introduced on that level or superior... then we have 'problems' and push back.

I applaud Coogler for doing his due diligence to combat feelings of that sort. I applaud Hudlin for not giving a fukk and embracing such a character the same way white creators embrace "perfect" white super heroes.

And I appreciate Priest for seeing the bullshyt previous white creators put T'Challa through and saying "hell nah.. we gon upgrade his entire style".
those characters were not perfect. batman, superman and cap went thru some pretty embarrassing periods

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hudlins best work to date is house party, but i still rather read hudlins work over Coates
I give him credit for not knocking panther down after what priest built. But his whack run on Spiderman and his behind the scenes destruction of boondocks makes me dislike hudlin.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I give him credit for not knocking panther down after what priest built. But his whack run on Spiderman and his behind the scenes destruction of boondocks makes me dislike hudlin.

Fair enough, but his Panther run is better than people give it credit for....

A lot of people were put off because they were expecting a direct sequel to what Priest was doing, but Hudlin's series was never supposed to be that, in fact it was never supposed to be an ongoing.

"Who Is the Black Panther" was supposed to be an out of continuity retelling of T'Challa's "origin". Halfway through the editors like his work so much they asked him if he could turn it into an ongoing. That's why the first arc has what seems like so many continuity errors, it was never supposed to be in continuity but got folded in later.

Priest's Panther was a political action thriller/comedy that utilized non linerar storytelling and was at times a deconstruction of T'Challa, what he represents in the modern Marvel universe, and to a lesser extent a takedown of white fanboys perception (and fear of) Black excellence).

Hudlin's Black Panther is a straight up action/comedy adventure comic. It's heavily influenced by the old Stan Lee and Jack Kirby comics Hudlin read as a kid. In that series Panther is more likely to punch a guy in the mouth and talk smack than allow a long plan to play out over multiple issues. Hudlin also doesn't get enough credit for how he drew from obscure Marvel continuity. He brought in a bunch of long forgotten Fantastic Four/Black Panther villains, and explore plot points that had long been forgotten (The Skrull planet, the Inhumans having slaves).

Priest's Panther run is to Hudlin's Panther run what Devil in Blue Dress is to Shaft.

As for Good story arcs by Hudlin:

Who is the Black Panther
Two the Hard Way
Little Green Men
Deadliest of the Species
Flags of our Fathers