teacher

All Star
Daps
With all due respect, who is this "they"

I dont know if its just cuz I'm not actively searching for it but I'm not see a lot of hate or dismissal of BP by anyone.

The reactions I'm witnessing are positive. Just this past Thorsday when I went to the movies and the BP trailer dropped... over JL, The New Mutants, Star Wars... the BP one was the one that people were receptive to and the audience cheered and clapped when it ended. And it was a sold out diverse theater.

A lot of non black peeps I see are fairly excited for this and some coming out of the theater were like "Man after this I cant wait for Feb to see Marvels next movie Black Panther"

People seem pretty fine to me

Martha

They are those people that have nothing critical or negative to say about the Trump administration and it’s all fake news.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With all due respect, who is this "they"

I dont know if its just cuz I'm not actively searching for it but I'm not see a lot of hate or dismissal of BP by anyone.

The reactions I'm witnessing are positive. Just this past Thorsday when I went to the movies and the BP trailer dropped... over JL, The New Mutants, Star Wars... the BP one was the one that people were receptive to and the audience cheered and clapped when it ended. And it was a sold out diverse theater.

A lot of non black peeps I see are fairly excited for this and some coming out of the theater were like "Man after this I cant wait for Feb to see Marvels next movie Black Panther"

People seem pretty fine to me

Martha

You're talking about the reaction to the trailers that have been released.

I'm talking about the general discussion surrounding Phase 3 and the next two Avengers films. A lot of people didn't even know Black Panther was coming out before Infinity War and a lot of people still don't know about Feige saying Black Panther and Wakanada will play a big role in the MCU moving forward, and I'm talking about the type of people that usually pour over every piece of MCU and Infinity War news that's dropped over the past 3 years.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All the complaining about the music in the Black Panther trailer not being the right fit, but nobody is saying anything about the music in Thor Ragnarok.

Incessant complaining about T'Challa's accent and Killmonger's lack of an accent, but I haven't heard or seen anyone even acknowledge Valkyrie's accent in Thor Ragnarok.

People complaining about Killonger just being an evil version of T'Challa, but nobody has said that shyt about Hela being yet another child of Odin with god powers and a chip on their shoulder.
:ohhh:

and let's not forget Hela also has a green aesthetic and wears a horned crown

zerorequiem

All Star
Daps
Man these cacs are gonna critique the hell out of this movie when it comes out. Even if it may turn out to be a top Marvel movie. I hope they really touch on his intelligence as well in the movie.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's weird people say it's stereotypical to use rap music in the trailer but no complaints about the music choices in GOTG and Thor

I watched Tyrone Magnus' reaction, and he said even though he likes rap, BP is an African hero so he would have preferred a more traditional African song for the trailer.

I mean I do get some of the complaints, at least the ones coming from other Black people.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man these cacs are gonna critique the hell out of this movie when it comes out. Even if it may turn out to be a top Marvel movie. I hope they really touch on his intelligence as well in the movie.

They've already started. Expect this film to be criticized for the same things other films in the MCU were given a pass for.

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's weird people say it's stereotypical to use rap music in the trailer but no complaints about the music choices in GOTG and Thor

My thing is especially in the 2nd Trailer that people really are failing hearing the African influences (Drums) Drums mixed in?:leostare: Like I've said in the past the music blended in well.

I think to an extent that people expecting to hear African music in the Trailers is also a little stereotypical in a sense. Once again, that will be part of the movie score and that's what people need to understand.

And I will be honest, the re-edits of the Trailers with the use of African music does not show a good mesh of the action with the music.

Plus in any African reaction video I have seen they loved the choice of songs.

I don't know if any people were complaining about Queen of Katwe?

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When it comes to the second trailer people are honestly just complaining about the ad libs by staples. The actual music fits the trailer perfect. If you take out the ad libs by staples that exact same music could have been used for the Thor Ragnarok, Pacific Rim, Blade Runner, and Ready Player one trailers.

like @SmarkMero said it'd have been just as stereotypical to have African drums playing in the trailer. Would people have complained if they had used a African Hip hop artist?

IDK I just think a lot of black folks from America and the UK have weird Ideas about what's "African".

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
All the complaining about the music in the Black Panther trailer not being the right fit, but nobody is saying anything about the music in Thor Ragnarok.

Incessant complaining about T'Challa's accent and Killmonger's lack of an accent, but I haven't heard or seen anyone even acknowledge Valkyrie's accent in Thor Ragnarok.

People complaining about Killonger just being an evil version of T'Challa, but nobody has said that shyt about Hela being yet another child of Odin with god powers and a chip on their shoulder.

You gotta stop using the Thor music as an excuse.

Thor had GOTG which set up the space adventure 70s/80s music being emphasized. It was highly successful.

Also you can't compare a solid Vince Staples song to what's generally considered classic Led Zeppelin song. That would hold more weight if it was a classic Jay Z, Nas, 2pac, Biggie song was played over the trailer and it got hit with a lot of backlash.

I'll say it again despite a few complaints WAY MORE people embraced the RTJ over the Vince Staples track. And I like song and trailer, but the music was better in the first one. Not everybody was feeling that shyt..it happens. :yeshrug: That's why some people prefer going with classic songs for trailers.

Having said that people love the visuals and thats all that matters.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
There were no complaints on hip hop being used with Luke Cage. Then again Luke Cage was using great rap music. :manny:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gotta stop using the Thor music as an excuse.

Thor had GOTG which set up the space adventure 70s/80s music being emphasized. It was highly successful.

Also you can't compare a solid Vince Staples song to what's generally considered classic Led Zeppelin song. That would hold more weight if it was a classic Jay Z, Nas, 2pac, Biggie song was played over the trailer and it got hit with a lot of backlash.

I'll say it again despite a few complaints WAY MORE people embraced the RTJ over the Vince Staples track. And I like song and trailer, but the music was better in the first one. Not everybody was feeling that shyt..it happens. :yeshrug: That's why some people prefer going with classic songs for trailers.

Having said that people love the visuals and thats all that matters.

Thor is just the most recent example. PLENTY of trailers use music that doesn't necessarily fit the perceived tone of the film. Like I just said in my other post, I'm convinced that if the ad libs were removed nobody would have a single complaint about the Staples song. The actual music fits perfectly, it's just that people hear Staples voice, make the connection to hip hop and immediately have a bad reaction to it.

Also it wouldn't matter if they had used classic hip hop music in the trailer the majority of people that have complained would still complain. They played Tupac in the Pacific Rim Uprising trailer and people complained "Why do they have to put rap in the trailers with black leads". shyt I saw people complaining about the rap music in the trailers for Creed.