Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You can't tell me Doomwar wasn't exciting all the way up to the ending.

A lackluster, lame, and arguably dumb ending it had, but it doesn't detract from the entire reading imo.

Can't do it bro. I see where you are coming from but they ending was so HORRID that I can't in good taste recommend it to anyone wanting to get into Black Panther.

Now New Avengers is the exact opposite. I spent a good amount of time cursing Hickman's name and wishing diabetes,scurvy, and Polio on his firstborn son after that emasculating encounter between T'Challa and the Ghost of T'Chaka that I swore off reading any BP related ANYTHING while Hickman was attached but Secret Wars really cleaned up a lot of that mess and T'Challa had a great showing and Hickman out him back exactly where he needed to be

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can't do it bro. I see where you are coming from but they ending was so HORRID that I can't in good taste recommend it to anyone wanting to get into Black Panther.

Now New Avengers is the exact opposite. I spent a good amount of time cursing Hickman's name and wishing diabetes,scurvy, and Polio on his firstborn son after that emasculating encounter between T'Challa and the Ghost of T'Chaka that I swore off reading any BP related ANYTHING while Hickman was attached but Secret Wars really cleaned up a lot of that mess and T'Challa had a great showing and Hickman out him back exactly where he needed to be

In retrospect, this is nothing in comparison to what TNC has done.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I said it in the other comic book thread that my only beef with Hickman was him having T'Challa continually threaten to kill Namor and not follow through on it (which has become a trend). I didn't mind the emotional breakdown with his pops and the other Black Panthers as it was something that had built up over years, even Batman has cracked on a couple of occasions, and T'Challa got his shyt back together after that moment (and getting some trim from Storm).

In secret Wars T'Challa was dope, I just hate how it's downplayed throughout the Marvel Universe that T'Challa helped saved ALL of existence. It's also downplayed that he was the one who devised the plan to take down Doom. That's part of what pisses me off so much about Coates book, T'Challa saved everyone and all we seem to get is an endless stream of characters talking down to and about him and he NEVER stands up for himself.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yup, in New Avengers T'Challa's emotional breakdown made sense. In TNC run he's just incompetent and lacks confidence. Even the excuse of "He's distracted" doesn't make sense. Yeah he's stressed over Shuri being stuck in suspended animation, but before T'Challa reset everything Shuri was straight up dead, we saw T'Challa looking at her spirit.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yup, in New Avengers T'Challa's emotional breakdown made sense. In TNC run he's just incompetent and lacks confidence. Even the excuse of "He's distracted" doesn't make sense. Yeah he's stressed over Shuri being stuck in suspended animation, but before T'Challa reset everything Shuri was straight up dead, we saw T'Challa looking at her spirit.

If I start in On Coates I'd never stop lol

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
T'Challa saved everyone and all we seem to get is an endless stream of characters talking down to and about him and he NEVER stands up for himself.

No one remembers what happened during Secret Wars besides T'challa and a few other people, breh.

T'challa: "Hey I saved and reset the multiverse!"

Everyone else: "The fukk are you talking bout, breh?" :dwillhuh:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
s. That was the beginning of T'Challa catching L's and not getting any payback.

No, the beginning was him being replaced by Shuri out of nowhere.

If you wanted to blame anyone for T'challa's predicament, you'd have to blame Hudlin and the subseuqent writers that didn't care to put him back into. the game properly.

You're blaming Coates for the other 7 years of neglect.

Last edited:

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire

None of you are giving him any chance, though. He's got 50 more issues to go.

@Ziggiy just admitted he hated Hickman for what he did in NA but ended up going goo-goo ga-ga for SW. :mjlol:

I remember dudes nitpicking the very first issue back in 2016. Some you have to admit you're just hardcore set on hating.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I challenge anyone to post ANYTHING from Coates run (that actually features T'Challa) that's as dope as this:

ndl7bn.jpg

2gv81l4.jpg

zwj03n.jpg

6jpm61.jpg

2vcay2t.jpg

v6i4j8.jpg

316vwxd.jpg

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, the beginning was him being replaced by Shuri out of nowhere.

If you wanted to blame anyone for T'challa's predicament, you'd have to blame Hudlin and the subseuqent writers that didn't care to put him back into. the game properly.

You're blaming Coates for the other 7 years of neglect.

You're caping for Coates to the point where you're not even paying attention to what I'm actually saying.

I CLEARLY said, that I feel like the problems with how T'Challa is portrayed started with Doomwar's ending, I CLEARLY said the premise to Liss run was stupid, I also CLEARLY said I had problems with some of the things Hickman did with T'Challa.

So how the fukk am I blaming Coates for 7 years of neglect? :stopitslime:

I was excited about Coates coming on as the Black Panther writer. It wasn't until I started reading and listening to interviews he was doing that I got concerned about what he would do and I STILL gave him the benefit of the doubt and supported the series. I hate his take on T'Challa. He made it a point to make him weaker and less capable, and be retconned aspects of the characters past that I really liked. I feel like he's more interested in the Dora Milaje and Shuri than he is in portraying T'Challa properly. I've ALSO said Coates has improved with his second season (though I still have problems with some things).

Stop getting your panties in a bunch every time someone is critical of Coates. I'm not trying to convince you to dislike it, I'm voicing MY personal dislike of his run so far.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No one remembers what happened during Secret Wars besides T'challa and a few other people, breh.

T'challa: "Hey I saved and reset the multiverse!"

Everyone else: "The fukk are you talking bout, breh?" :dwillhuh:

Except he told Shuri and his mother what happened.....Also the Dora Milaje that were so pissed at him for his "failure" to save everyone admitted that they knew what he was trying to do leading up to Secret Wars. They were just mad at him because he was an easy target.

None of you are giving him any chance, though. He's got 50 more issues to go.

@Ziggiy just admitted he hated Hickman for what he did in NA but ended up going goo-goo ga-ga for SW. :mjlol:

I remember dudes nitpicking the very first issue back in 2016. Some you have to admit you're just hardcore set on hating.

FOH with "None of you are giving him any chance", I stuck with that book for a LONG fukking time HOPING it would get better and have a satisfying ending. Instead I got the most anticlimactic ending for a Black Panther series ever. If I wasn't "Giving him any Chance" I wouldn't have bought as many issues as I did and I damn sure wouldn't have said he's gotten better with the last two issues.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that some people just don't like Coates take on Black Panther? shyt even he said before the book launched that he knew long time fans weren't going to like his take.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@Realdealholy, I looked at the 1st page was surprised there wasn't an essential reading list for BP. :ohhh:

I figure with the trailer dropped -- a lot more people on this site who were unbeknownst to him, --might have their interests recently piqued and might want to finally get into him.

A lot of curious people (and uninfomed clowns who keep making critques but know nothing about the character or Wakanda) need to have their knowledge checked before the movie comes out in Feb.

My personal reccomendation for anyone wanting to jump into BP would be:

Priest's entire run

Hudlin's entire run

BP Secret Invasion by Aaron

Doomwar (including the prelude)

New Avengers by Hickman and maybe even Secret Wars

and then moving on to Coates if they want to.

For a specific publication to get a straight up introduction to the character, I heavily, heavily reccomend Hudlin's."Who Is The Black Panther?", A modern retelling of BP's origin story that's done very very well. It runs the entire gamut on the BP mythos in about 200 pages. It's extremely accessible and is able to hook in the most unassuming casual reader. It's the most ideal starting place IMO.
Very good point on lack of reader's list in the OP. Will work on that in the coming days :obama:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I challenge anyone to post ANYTHING from Coates run (that actually features T'Challa) that's as dope as this:

ndl7bn.jpg

2gv81l4.jpg

zwj03n.jpg

6jpm61.jpg

2vcay2t.jpg

v6i4j8.jpg

316vwxd.jpg
That's Liss run was full of positive fukkery lol. The funniest BP run to date, imho.

T'Challa, Luke Cage, Falcon, Shuri, and that eastern Euro chick putting in work against Kingpin? Dope team up :obama:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's Liss run was full of positive fukkery lol. The funniest BP run to date, imho.

T'Challa, Luke Cage, Falcon, Shuri, and that eastern Euro chick putting in work against Kingpin? Dope team up :obama:

The premise was dumb as fukk, but Liss told some damn good stories. Even the Fear Itself tie in was good.