Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Y'all get shot at; call me, I do the shooting :dame:
I do the recruiting, I tutor the students:obama:
I nurture their brain, I'm moving the movement:blessed:

As I said in the post above...time isn't going to care about the early reception if he wins some awards.
Just cause something isn't well liked by hardcore fans/critics early doesn't mean it stays that way over time either.
Basically.....there's some positives in it. :ehh:

There def are positives, imho. I don't "like" season 1 per se, but I don't hate it either. I'm somewhere in the middle with it.:manny:

I'm well aware that we hardcore fans are basically the minority of the readership. The floppies are still hovering around 35k despite all the flaws this book has. Meanwhile, practically every digital issue has hit the weekly top 10 best-sellers list on comixology (again, despite everything). This run def has an audience, no doubt.

That being said, season 2 is Coates' make-up exam. If he nails that, his run will be in much better shape. T'Challa and Storm doing shyt while kicking it is a good start :youngsabo:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
There def are positives, imho. I don't "like" season 1 per se, but I don't hate it either. I'm somewhere in the middle with it.

I'm well aware that we hardcore fans are basically the minority of the readership. The floppies are still hovering around 35k despite all the flaws this book has. Meanwhile, practically every digital issue has hit the weekly top 10 best-sellers list on comixology (again, despite everything). This run def has an audience, no doubt.

That being said, season 2 is Coates' make-up exam. If he nails that, his run will be in much better shape. T'Challa and Storm doing shyt while kicking it is a good start :youngsabo:
Yep. If he kills it on season 2....the narrative over time will be "Season 2 was dope! You know what? Season 1 wasn't so bad either. He was clearly setting up a lot of things, but also finding his footing."

Its all about what his next run is like :yeshrug:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Yep. If he kills it on season 2....the narrative over time will be "Season 2 was dope! You know what? Season 1 wasn't so bad either. He was clearly setting up a lot of things, but also finding his footing."

Its all about what his next run is like :yeshrug:

Word, it's all about that landing breh. Word to Hudlin (who stuck his) and Mayberry (who missed his).

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do yall realize how yall sound?

You were saying the same shyt about his first season "We gotta stick with it to see how it ends. I'm sure he'll stick the landing."

Come to find out his ending was wack as fukk. T'Challa barely has a fukking character arc in that story. He wasted 12 fukking issues putting in place a form of government that had already existed in previous runs.

As for new fans coming onto the series, many of them are going to leave with Coates because they're only reading comics for him. The others have stated going back to read old Panther shyt and even they're saying something is off about Coates interpretation.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

You were saying the same shyt about his first season "We gotta stick with it to see how it ends. I'm sure he'll stick the landing."

Come to find out his ending was wack as fukk. T'Challa barely has a fukking character arc in that story. He wasted 12 fukking issues putting in place a form of government that had already existed in previous runs.

As for new fans coming onto the series, many of them are going to leave with Coates because they're only reading comics for him. The others have stated going back to read old Panther shyt and even they're saying something is off about Coates interpretation.

BP #12 was enough for me. I expected the worse:

-T'Challa isn't king anymore.
-Wakandan monarchy is done.
-Wakanda is a full-fledged democracy.
-The MAs get no repercussions whatsoever.

Instead, we got:

-T'Challa is still king.
-Wakandan Monarchy is still around.
-There are reforms, but the monarchy still in charge.
-T'Challa and Shuri argued against the MAs just being let go with nothing happening. There is a deal made, but no details yet.

In addition to that, I also got:

-Closure on the "I'm not a king" subplot and the stuff that happened in NA #21. Those events on that issue bugged the shyt out of me for years. Now, I can finally move on.

-T'Challa and Ororo are now more than "just talking" :youngsabo:

Did I have issues with season 1? Hell yea, and I complained about them here and elsewhere many times.

Now that season 1 is done, Coates has the opportunity to make up for a lot of the flaws / weird shyt that went down. If he does that, great! If he doesn't, the movie is on the way. Either way, we winning :manny:

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Instead, we got:

-T'Challa is still king.
-T'Challa and Shuri argued against the MAs just being let go with nothing happening. There is a deal made, but no details yet.

-Closure on the "I'm not a king" subplot and the stuff that happened in NA #21. Those events on that issue bugged the shyt out of me for years. Now, I can finally move on.

Did I have issues with season 1? Hell yea, and I complained about them here and elsewhere many times.

Now that season 1 is done, Coates has the opportunity to make up for a lot of the flaws / weird shyt that went down. If he does that, great! If he doesn't, the movie is on the way. Either way, we winning :manny:

So basically you're grading him on a curve because your expectations were so low :dead:

And there was no reform in Coates book. All he did was put something in place that was already in place. There's ALWAYS been a tribal counsel, we've seen it in just about every Black Panther run since the late 70's.

I also don't buy that the Dora Milaje will be punished in any way shape or form. Coates did such a poor job of showing both sides as being sympathetic that people aren't buying Aneka's "breakdown" near the end and folks are calling foul on Shuri and T'Challa's comments about what they SHOULD have done.

And the "I'm no king" hardly qualifies as a subplot. We never see him go on a journey to figure things about by himself, he just gets another lecture from a supporting character.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
So basically you're grading him on a curve because your expectations were so low :dead:

I'm grading him the same way I've graded every BP writer. I always hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Ultimately, we simply have a difference of opinion. You think the current run is straight trash. I think it is "ehhh" at best. It is what it is :manny:

And there was no reform in Coates book. All he did was put something in place that was already in place. There's ALWAYS been a tribal counsel, we've seen it in just about every Black Panther run since the late 70's.

Previous councils weren't democratically elected, as far as I can remember.

The big question is how much power does T'Challa has vis-a-via the council. In Priest's run, T'Challa disbanded them with a simple decree. In Hudlin's run, T'Challa threatened to kick out S'Yan out of the council leadership and put Storm in his place. S'Yan fell back real quick and got in line.

I also don't buy that the Dora Milaje will be punished in any way shape or form. Coates did such a poor job of showing both sides as being sympathetic that people aren't buying Aneka's "breakdown" near the end and folks are calling foul on Shuri and T'Challa's comments about what they SHOULD have done.

I happen to disagree with a lot of readers concerning the MAs. Imho, they are perhaps the most flawed characters and those flaws, to me, easily had me in T'Challa's corner even more. Thus, I had very little sympathy for them throughout the story.

As for their punishment, remains to be seen. If nothing happens, I'll complain. For now, I'm happy the monarchs told MAs they couldnt just let that stuff the MAs did slide.

Lastly, I pretty much agreed with what T'Challa said during that round table discussion at the beginning of BP #12. Though I understand folks not liking what Shuri said, I did feel it was in character.

And the "I'm no king" hardly qualifies as a subplot. We never see him go on a journey to figure things about by himself, he just gets another lecture from a supporting character.

Didn't say it was well done. Personally, I wouldn't have gone there if I was the writer. That's said, I'm was satisfied that the "I'm not a king" rhetoric was explain and concluded. More importantly, T'Challa and Shuri's convo gave me closure on the Hickman stuff, which was very important to me.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Instead, we got:

-T'Challa is still king.

I am 125% sure that Marvel forced Coates to alter his original plans of completely stripping T'Challa of his crown. The story literally makes ZERO sense UNLESS T'Challa isn't king. Unless Coates is absolutely terrible at all things fiction, That ending for season 1 could NOT have been in his plans...

Either way Coates is trying to suck me back in by teasing a Storm/BP reunion (something I've been clamoring for since they broke up) and even I'm not sure that's enough to get me to continue supporting him

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

It's the same two people capin for Coates, it's whatever :manny:

And the one of them tryin to "troll" us like anyone still gives a shyt about the 'lgbt' social justice awards it wins

Coates run was trash and now we're all just looking forward to the movies b/c the comics largely aint shyt.

teacher

All Star
Daps
Damn comic book niccas go hard :sadcoates:

My biggest complaint are the action scenes in the Coates run. I'm the type of person to let someone tell their story even though I don't completely agree with it, he had a 5 season plan :yeshrug: But this run so far doesn't help BP fans when arguing with other comic book nerds about who the cooler super hero is :francis:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn comic book niccas go hard :sadcoates:

My biggest complaint are the action scenes in the Coates run. I'm the type of person to let someone tell their story even though I don't completely agree with it, he had a 5 season plan :yeshrug: But this run so far doesn't help BP fans when arguing with other comic book nerds about who the cooler super hero is :francis:

That's because he's not being written like a superhero. Ta-Nehisi Coates' BP is what people who are only vaguely familiar with the character expect. A normal dude who is King of a fictional country.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's because he's not being written like a superhero. Ta-Nehisi Coates' BP is what people who are only vaguely familiar with the character expect. A normal dude who is King of a fictional country.

Even with the movies people have fukked up expectations of the character.

Before Civil War came out you'd see people talking about T'Challa going to the Avengers for help, assuming that market scene in Lagos was Wakanda, or even that Stark helped upgrade his suit.

I also remember seeing people say T'Challa was running away from Cap in the trailers during the tunnel scene.

:snoop:

In the comics T'Challa is the only character I've ever seen people argue should get beaten down and lose all the fukking time. As is catching an ass whooping and looking like a damn fool is some form of character development. Nobody makes those dumb ass arguments about white characters.