Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yeah when it comes to just outright threatening people, Shuri is leagues above T'challa. T'challa is more cerebral and quiet with his negotiation skills.

And I believe it was discussed awhile ago that the reasonings behind the MA's revolt were amplified by the death of Shuri, and that they would have never had a problem with the monarchy to this degree if Shuri was still alive and still queen. The MAs had a feminist bent against T'challa. It was so obvious that Shuri is really the missing link to all their mess.

You're right that T'challa was really being T'challa during his talk with Changamire. Coates really stayed truth to the strengths of these 2 characthers. But I also suspect some people are offput by T'challa sort of weakly admitting that the country needs to "change" and openly admitting his flaws.

like a lot of people have said, this whole arc probably reads perfectly as a standalone paperback volume than an issue by issue. No one can really deny Coates' writing skill. If this plot was ever put on screen... :ohhh:

The way she came at Ayo and Aneko she's definitely still the same brazen, arrogant badass before entering the Djalia. Her wisdom appears more amplified though, more zen. Like she's in equilibrium of all her strengths. Imo, Coates stayed true. Definitely the same old Shuri to me.
The issue with the feminist bent is that its total bullshyt. T'Challa has never ONCE abused his authority over the DM's. The very REASON he lost his throne was because he sacrificed himself to save a DM. So the "No one Man" slant is horseshyt

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This is fire for a few reasons:

That synopsis sounds a lot like the conceit of a few of the story arcs from the Christopher Priest run of Black Panther comics in the late ’90s. In Priest’s care, T’Challa was basically Batman, but richer and with generally more sauce. More formidable intellect, too. And more powerful. And of course, you know, black. That is to say, this is a good place to be pulling from.

Priest’s stories swung freely between political thrillers, sappy daytime soap operas, and punchy sitcoms, but like (and perhaps better than) those who wrote the series before him, Priest mined T’Challa’s character for deeper meaning, exploring how the surrounding world interacts with him, and him with it. Most of T’Challa’s problems arise from being misunderstood, and things are only really out of his control when he let’s that cloud his judgment. If it feels like I’m being vague it’s only because I don’t want to spoil any of Priest’s comics for you should you choose to read them, which you should, at your earliest convenience. If you want an in-depth rundown, Evan Narcisse at Kotaku has you covered.

I will say this means there’s a greater than zero percent chance that Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan are going to be in an exotic locale, discussing the boons and banes of free will while throwing each other through tree trunks at some point. Probably to a Ludwig Goransson remix of a deep cut from Dreamchasers 4.
Like I said, Black Panther is going to be A1. Let’s all agree to meet back here 13 months from now, and discuss just how A1 it was.
https://theringer.com/black-panther-is-going-to-be-a-really-good-movie-6afeaf0be2b2#.zf2dg1ali

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
The issue with the feminist bent is that its total bullshyt. T'Challa has never ONCE abused his authority over the DM's. The very REASON he lost his throne was because he sacrificed himself to save a DM. So the "No one Man" slant is horseshyt
#Facts

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
She reads more like T'challa than T'challa.

I was leaning towards that train of thought after reading BP #9, but BP #10 changed my mind. Shuri is still Shuri, just with a bit more polish with a splash of patience for her enemies / traitors.

The way she came at Ayo and Aneko she's definitely still the same brazen, arrogant badass before entering the Djalia. Her wisdom appears more amplified though, more zen. Like she's in equilibrium of all her strengths. Imo, Coates stayed true. Definitely the same old Shuri to me.

Pretty much. The old her would've attacked the MAs soon after Ayo jumped on her. She has a bit more restraint this time: her retaliation came after Ayo attacked her a second time :mjlol:.

Hence why I'm very happy it finally got called out. Their viewpoint got on some :duck: shyt real quick, only for them to be confused later on "Wtf are we doing:damn:" shyt

Still laughing at their reaction in BP #9, shyt was hilarious:russ:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I can see m Baku and killmonger teaming up on some my enemies enemy is my man type sh!t then turning on each other after their ultimate goal is accomplished :manny:

I suspect M'Baku might be the main goon of the film. On some Crossbone shyt, minus the low key henchmen vibe crossbone gave in Winter Soldier.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Guess Black Widow is an option :skip:
tumblr_oj7xwkklO41uwl6nzo3_500.gif

giphy.gif

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
In a strange way, this. But I don't think that is exclusive to this issue...

In terms of being king or queen of Wakanda from a political POV I always perferred Shuri though. Shuri is really the more ideal personification of what a Wakandan leader should be.

If one wants Wakandan leadership with a twist, that is T'Challa. He is quite different from his predecessors and thus brings new--and sometimes radical--ideas and perspectives to the table.

If one wants something resembling old school Wakandan leadership, that is Shuri. Quite similar to the former kings and the old ways did bring Wakanda the status it got after all.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
If one wants Wakandan leadership with a twist, that is T'Challa. He is quite different from his predecessors and thus brings new--and sometimes radical--ideas and perspectives to the table.

If one wants something resembling old school Wakandan leadership, that is Shuri. Quite similar to the former kings and the old ways did bring Wakanda the status it got after all.

A lot of the detractors for Coates' T'challa (mostly us fans) base their critque in the notion that T'challa is not "what he's supposed to be";, aka a mentally firm, unstoppable force of black excellence. A lot claim that T'challa is being portrayed as weak, a tad less cunning and ultimately presented as an inferior form of his older self.

A lot of people are turned off by the upcoming idea of T'challa turning the monarchy into a "democracy". But in a way this would be concurrent in what you've described T'challa as. A liberal, progressive thinker in comparison to his predecessors and the majority of his countrymen.

I'm guessing when push comes to shove, most would be in favor of Shuri than T'challa?

Daps
Reppin
Latveria

That Hudlin retcon :francis:

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
how yall think wakanda tech will be? and what upgrades n tools yall want panther to have ( i would like to see sonic weapons via vibranium/tech fusion)

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
how yall think wakanda tech will be? and what upgrades n tools yall want panther to have ( i would like to see sonic weapons via vibranium/tech fusion)
Energy daggers with different frequency settings, as a homage to Priest. I actually would like sonic/vibration-based tech weapons, since it's in vibranium's namesake but i feel it's been an underutilized aspect of the metal outside of when Klaw weaponizes it.

Anti-metal/antarctic vibranium as well, if they can find a realistic way to show it; basically it breaks other metals it comes in contact with down at it's molecular level, even adamantium, and can cause such metals to even melt upon contact. But it hasn't been as consistently shown or fleshed out as it could be, so i'd like for them to find away to showcase it. Maybe even have the claws have an artic chill effect or glow, if they have it where he can toggle it on or off.

And then just situational tech. Long ago during Civil War promotion he was said to be envisioned as Obama + James Bond, so i'd like to see a number of creative things that showcase that. Hell, even give him those special boots as another homage to Priest.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
And yea... if one wants Wakandan leadership and a Wakanda that was doing just fine... or as relatively fine as you can be when factoring previously non-existent variables as massive skrull alien invasions, extinction level cosmic threats, dr. doom... then you pretty much go with the T'Challa we had last time he was king.. which was prior to him losing his kingship when he sacrificed himself to save a Dora. Ironically enough, the T'Challa Priest and Hudlin wrote that they're now basing a movie off of.. lol

teacher

All Star
Daps
A lot of the detractors for Coates' T'challa (mostly us fans) base their critque in the notion that T'challa is not "what he's supposed to be";, aka a mentally firm, unstoppable force of black excellence. A lot claim that T'challa is being portrayed as weak, a tad less cunning and ultimately presented as an inferior form of his older self.

A lot of people are turned off by the upcoming idea of T'challa turning the monarchy into a "democracy". But in a way this would be concurrent in what you've described T'challa as. A liberal, progressive thinker in comparison to his predecessors and the majority of his countrymen.

I'm guessing when push comes to shove, most would be in favor of Shuri than T'challa?

at least he isn't crying in a corner during an extinction level event (fukking Hickman :snoop:)