Shade

King of Wakanda.
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I am hoping that when Coates leaves they get Priest back on the book. Now that he is back into comics again and with the new popularity that BP is having a Priest BP series would be flames.

I'm actually hoping for a Grant Morrison written run after Coates.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
:lupe:my fear that a softer weaker version of Panther is what these readers will gravitate towards.:lupe::lupe:I really hope the MCU version has enough love that THAT iteration is what becomes the norm instead of the character getting punked a few issues back:lupe:
I just don't want them to think "damn, bytchass t'challa is selling! :ohhh: We got answers sway! :krs:" (me: :damn:)

But good thing is that the movies typically trump the comics in influence of outside media (and at times influence the comics themselves) because it's a much much bigger audience being reached nation wide and globally. The comics at this point (imo) serve to give future (but very general) plot ideas for the movies to pick from. Civil War was only 7 or 8 years old when they started the MCU adaptation for example. Old Man Logan was a similar timeline or even sooner before Fox decided to roll with it.

And if I was a betting man, even among all the crap BP has gone through in the last few years, there's 3 or 4 gems that were standout conceptually (just not in execution) and ripe for future MCU adaptations:The Illuminati, King of the Dead, Ultimates, the Force Push.

The first 3 would happen in completely different ways than how it happened in the books, just like his pops wasn't killed by zemo, but those are excitable concepts that the ground work has already been laid out for, ala CW, even tho not all the characters and plot points would be the same.. and i'd have no complaints about that lol

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I am hoping that when Coates leaves they get Priest back on the book. Now that he is back into comics again and with the new popularity that BP is having a Priest BP series would be flames.

I strongly doubt Priest will come back. He did his thing writing BP for 5 years, that was more than enough.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I just don't want them to think "damn, bytchass t'challa is selling! :ohhh: We got answers sway! :krs:" (me: :damn:)

But good thing is that the movies typically trump the comics in influence of outside media (and at times influence the comics themselves) because it's a much much bigger audience being reached nation wide and globally. The comics at this point (imo) just serve to give future plot ideas for the movies to pick from. Civil War was only 7 or 8 years old when they started the MCU adaptation for example. Old Man Logan was a similar timeline or even sooner before Fox decided to roll with it.

And if I was a betting man, even among all the crap BP has gone through in the last few years, there's 3 or 4 gems that were standout conceptually (just not in execution) and ripe for future MCU adaptations:The Illuminati, King of the Dead, Ultimates, the Force Push.

The first 3 would happen in completely different ways than how it happened in the books, just like his pops wasn't killed by zemo, but those are excitable concepts that the ground work has already been laid out for, ala CW, even tho not all the characters and plot points would be the same.. and i'd have no complaints about that lol

:usure::francis::upsetfavre:

:ufdup:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
:lupe:my fear that a softer weaker version of Panther is what these readers will gravitate towards.:lupe::lupe:I really hope the MCU version has enough love that THAT iteration is what becomes the norm instead of the character getting punked a few issues back:lupe:

The MCU version will be the version the general public gravitates towards, simply because it WILL be the most popular version. MCU's visibility >>> comic visibility by far.. So long as Marvel and Coogler do a good job, it won't be an issue.

As for the readers though, if the overall reviews and sales keep up, Coates' run will be considered the definitive run for a lot of BP fans--especially the new ones--and the mainstream. All we can hope for is that he improves as a comic book writer and that he improves T'Challa's portrayal along the way.

teacher

All Star
Daps
The MCU version will be the version the general public gravitates towards, simply because it WILL be the most popular version. MCU's visibility >>> comic visibility by far.. So long as Marvel and Coogler do a good job, it won't be an issue.

As for the readers though, if the overall reviews and sales keep up, Coates' run will be considered the definitive run for a lot of BP fans--especially the new ones--and the mainstream. All we can hope for is that he improves as a comic book writer and that he improves T'Challa's portrayal along the way.

is it to slow? coates writes well IMO...it doesn't feel like I'm reading a kids book.... :manny:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Come on, T'challa is barely xenophobic. Especially after Hudlin's run. T'challa is just too diplomatic, even more so compared to Shuri. when T'challa let Namor into Necropolis and tried to hide it from Shuri and the Doras that's when I realized T'challa isn't really bothered by the integrity and tradition of isolationism like that. Him asking for outside help isn't too boundary-breaking .At this point I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up having tea parties with Doom and Namor.

Sure, T'Challa isn't xenophobic or against looking for outside help. That usually isn't the case with his staff and inner circle or even the country as a whole. The meeting, according to Coates, was his staff's idea and T'Challa was reluctant for obvious reasons, but ultimately agreed to make the meeting happened.

Coates' logic is that (I'm paraphrasing) since T'Challa's usual people are either unavailable or dead, he's now leaning on the new group. Coates could be going a slighly different direction this time as far as T'Challa's staff is concerned. I'm just confused on why this new group would suggest that T'Challa would meet with those particular men in Wakandan soil, in light of all the flak T'Challa has been getting due to his numerous foreign connections and his adventures outside of Wakandan.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
is it to slow? coates writes well IMO...it doesn't feel like I'm reading a kids book.... :manny:

I don't mind the pace too much and he's a good writer, no question. I just feel that the book often goes on build-up mode a bit too much sometimes. One can risk losing the attention of potential readers if it appears there's non-stop buildup.

Others also don't like the lack of action in the book, at least compared to other comic books. Coates doesn't seem to be budging on that one lol.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Unlettered preview of #6

@Ironman makes a cameo, as T'Challa seems to be learning that Stane is behind the chest bombs.:ehh:

57b32a692ecc2.jpg

The Midnight Angel are now rolling with the Doras. Peep the Doras new uniform:youngsabo:

57b32a1069fdb.jpg

And then there's this...

57b32aa0b2245.jpg

No idea what that needle is. That pic at the last panel is of the captive from #5. Perhaps their "pact" is in motion. :jbhmm:

EDIT: The art in this book is wonderful. :wow:

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Sure, T'Challa isn't xenophobic or against looking for outside help. That usually isn't the case with his staff and inner circle or even the country as a whole. The meeting, according to Coates, was his staff's idea and T'Challa was reluctant for obvious reasons, but ultimately agreed to make the meeting happened.

Coates' logic is that (I'm paraphrasing) since T'Challa's usual people are either unavailable or dead, he's now leaning on the new group. Coates could be going a slighly different direction this time as far as T'Challa's staff is concerned. I'm just confused on why this new group would suggest that T'Challa would meet with those particular men in Wakandan soil, in light of all the flak T'Challa has been getting due to his numerous foreign connections and his adventures outside of Wakandan.
Thing is tho, they were initially always an undefeated country tho. That's not really the case now exactly tho.

Also, I think it was a bit of a ploy anyway.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire

Don't get me wrong it definitely was strange for his staff to prop a whole meeting out of nowhere on Wakandan soil with foreign "counterrevolutionaries".

But I wasn't surprised by the frankness and and lack of inhibition of consorting that meeting.

But notice it backfired on them. Atleast one of those foreigners at the meeting were working for Tetu. How were they able to bribe that cac if they didn't already have prior knowledge that he was going to attend that meeting in the first place? Something's missing here...

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Don't get me wrong it definitely was strange for his staff to prop a whole meeting out of nowhere on Wakandan soil with foreign "counterrevolutionaries".

But I wasn't surprised by the frankness and and lack of inhibition of consorting that meeting.

But notice it backfired on them. Atleast one of those foreigners at the meeting were working for Tetu. How were they able to bribe that cac if they didn't already have prior knowledge that he was going to attend that meeting in the first place? Something's missing here...

Most def, I was wondering how Stane and Tetu even got access to the guy, let alone know that there was a meeting in place. Not to mention, neither T'Challa or his staff seemed too surprised that the vid came out. Maybe that was an artistic decision by either Coates or Sprouse, no idea.

I do think there's more to that meeting than what has been revealed. Maybe I'm too optimistic on that front.

Thing is tho, they were initially always an undefeated country tho. That's not really the case now exactly tho.

Also, I think it was a bit of a ploy anyway.

I think so too.