Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
DC Comics' Rebirth Dominates July's Top 20 Sales Positions

The bottom of the page under Top Comics. BP is #36 and ASM is #25. As the link says, the top 20 books are pretty much all DC save for CWII. Really the top 40 is like 90% DC relaunch books, and is what pushed Marvel's shyt in last month.

Much respect breh. I was aware of the sales rankings, but not the numbers. Holy shyt :dwillhuh::dwillhuh::dwillhuh::dwillhuh:

I mean, I don't hate the book as much as others do, but I'd never though the sales would've stayed as high as it is for BP at this point, especially with the flaws this book has. Never.

This is some different shyt right here brehs. Wow:ohhh:

On the other hand, i hate that this is the story and characterization of t'challa that all these new bp fans are being introduced to. :francis:

True, but honestly, I think a lot of those new fans actually like it, like for real. I honestly don't know what else it could be at this point. Not saying that the MCU and Marvel's marketing isn't helping, it def is, but the sale should've been lower by now.

BP is outselling Cap and is well on its way to outsell Iron Man. Cap Civil war was months ago too.

We're really in different times brehs, this is crazy.

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
That this is far from T'Challa's best portrayal and that there hasn't been any big event tie-ins or "i scratch your back you scratch mine" marketing strategies with other writers and their characters (i.e. like Bendis whoring Miles out to kamala, spider-gwen, jean grey, etc for sales boosts) and yet this book is still doing over 70k a month... again, mixed feelings for me lol. But i gotta treat it as glass half full.

B/c if this keeps up while the book is meh, then that gives it that much more potential to do even better if or once BP starts being bad ass again, or if the profile of special guest appearances and villains gets higher than.. Eden.. or that throwaway iron man villain who i had to google to figure out who the fukk he was.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
That this is far from T'Challa's best portrayal and that there hasn't been any big event tie-ins or "i scratch your back you scratch mine" marketing strategies with other writers and their characters (i.e. like Bendis whoring Miles out to kamala, spider-gwen, jean grey, etc for sales boosts) and yet this book is still doing over 70k a month... again, mixed feelings for me lol. But i gotta treat it as glass half full.

B/c if this keeps up while the book is meh, then that gives it that much more potential to do even better if or once BP starts being bad ass again, or if the profile of special guest appearances and villains gets higher than.. Eden.. or that throwaway iron man villain who i had to google to figure out who the fukk he was.

Pretty much. I think at this point, all we hope for is that Coates improves overall and things get better from here.

72k though, cot damn :wow:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Which Wakandans have Ghanaian names?

The captive from issue 5.

The whole convo is in the spoilers.

convo3.png

convo1.png

convo2.png

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I don't know if it was intentional or just ignorance but I actually like the route they took with the naming conventions these past 15-20 years. It's like a nice, subtle cultural shoutout that would go over the heads of most American/non-Afrikan audiences but wouldn't be lost on those from those specific countries. i.e. I don't know anything about Ghanaian or Swahili names but I had instant recognition whenever I see Okoye.

Since it's a fictional afro-futuristic country, I don't mind that they take bits and pieces from actual afrikan countries. Granted, it could open doors for some subjective criticism (like them speaking Hausa in Priest's run) but i personally don't trip on stuff like that (as far as the logic/history) as long as they're not trying to shyt on anyone's culture for another.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know if it was intentional or just ignorance but I actually like the route they took with the naming conventions these past 15-20 years. It's like a nice, subtle cultural shoutout that would go over the heads of most American/non-Afrikan audiences but wouldn't be lost on those from those specific countries. i.e. I don't know anything about Ghanaian or Swahili names but I had instant recognition whenever I see Okoye.

Since it's a fictional afro-futuristic country, I don't mind that they take bits and pieces from actual afrikan countries. Granted, it could open doors for some subjective criticism (like them speaking Hausa in Priest's run) but i personally don't trip on stuff like that (as far as the logic/history) as long as they're not trying to shyt on anyone's culture for another.

Yeah, considering it's fiction, they can and to most extent, even should mix it up a bit with how they endoctrine real stuff into their world. I think it pays a bit of homage to Africa as a whole to have subtle representation of various parts of it done in such an amalgam fashion.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria

Bendis didn't really whor Miles to any of them maybe only Spider-Gwen

The Spider-Gwen this isn't even that much of a suprise since both of them are successful Spider-Man spinoffs who happen to be teens :yeshrug:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Bendis didn't really whor Miles to any of them maybe only Spider-Gwen

The Spider-Gwen this isn't even that much of a suprise since both of them are successful Spider-Man spinoffs who happen to be teens :yeshrug:
I was embellishing breh lol

Miles is passed around like a fanciful whore as far as teamups n special guest appearances go. Bendis, Waid, Kamala's writer, and Nova's writer all but made a blood pact to bounce their characters off each other these last 8 months :russ:, and Bendis will ship-tease Miles with every girl under 20 before its all said n done. Riri is on deck for 2017.

Im a big Miles fan so im not exactly complaining but i see what they doin with the kid. we've seen this b4 with deadpool, wolverine and peter parker.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
As a a set up to the second arc, #5 wasn't bad. The best parts had to be the beginning with Eden getting his shine and T'challa's interrogation with one of the insurgents of The People. The ending just opened more doors of fukkery for T'challa's PR with his countrymen, though.

Especially for a nation like Wakanda that doesn't fukk with foreigners like that?

Come on, T'challa is barely xenophobic. Especially after Hudlin's run. T'challa is just too diplomatic, even more so compared to Shuri. when T'challa let Namor into Necropolis and tried to hide it from Shuri and the Doras that's when I realized T'challa isn't really bothered by the integrity and tradition of isolationism like that. Him asking for outside help isn't too boundary-breaking .At this point I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up having tea parties with Doom and Namor.

I know some people don't like the book but good lord the bytching on the CBR thread has become unbearable. And I say this as someone that's been on there for years.

How can you claim to hate something but still read it every month it comes out? :mindblown: It's issue 5, just drop it if you dont like it and think it's so trash. Follow Coates' advice. No one's forcing you to read. There's no real discussion going on over there.

DC Comics' Rebirth Dominates July's Top 20 Sales Positions

The bottom of the page under Top Comics. BP is #36 and ASM is #25. As the link says, the top 20 books are pretty much all DC save for CWII. Really the top 40 is like 90% DC relaunch books, and is what pushed Marvel's shyt in last month.

This run is going down as a classic no matter what anyone says based off sales alone and in conjunction with the MCU hype , especially when T'challa finally gets his at the end of this story.

Yeah, considering it's fiction, they can and to most extent, even should mix it up a bit with how they endoctrine real stuff into their world. I think it pays a bit of homage to Africa as a whole to have subtle representation of various parts of it done in such an amalgam fashion.

Plus most African countries are actual amalgamations of several different tribes, ethnicites and languages. No one in Nigeria speaks "Nigerian".The borders in Africa are imaginary and were carved up by Europe, so any sense of ethnogeography before that was forced to rearrange into something artificial of the nation state. A single African country can have 3 different ethnic groups and like 6 different languages spread throughout. And those same ethnic groups and languages could be sitting in the next country to it.

So while the country, Wakanda, may be fictional, the people aren't, really.

teacher

All Star
Daps
I was embellishing breh lol

Miles is passed around like a fanciful whore as far as teamups n special guest appearances go. Bendis, Waid, Kamala's writer, and Nova's writer all but made a blood pact to bounce their characters off each other these last 8 months :russ:, and Bendis will ship-tease Miles with every girl under 20 before its all said n done. Riri is on deck for 2017.

Im a big Miles fan so im not exactly complaining but i see what they doin with the kid. we've seen this b4 with deadpool, wolverine and peter parker.

:shaq:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Pretty much. I think at this point, all we hope for is that Coates improves overall and things get better from here.

72k though, cot damn :wow:
I am hoping that when Coates leaves they get Priest back on the book. Now that he is back into comics again and with the new popularity that BP is having a Priest BP series would be flames.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
I am hoping that when Coates leaves they get Priest back on the book. Now that he is back into comics again and with the new popularity that BP is having a Priest BP series would be flames.

You'd think Priest would come back? I doubt it. Priest seems like the type to be one-and-done, "don't think twice about it and just move on" no matter how much prestige there is.

Last edited:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Ok. Black Panther #4 just did 72k sales last month. Only solo book selling more for Marvel is Amazing Spider-Man.
Mixed feelings about this tbh.

On one hand, he's being embraced across all mediums (comics, movies, games, comic-con and will be a core member of the reshuffled avengers cartoon lineup next year); pretty much everything they said a black superhero couldn't be, he is, and is giving em the :umad: all the way to A-list territory

On the other hand, i hate that this is the story and characterization of t'challa that all these new bp fans are being introduced to. :francis:

But when he gets introduced in this current season of Avengers Assemble, i imagine they're goin to make him kick ass like his CWII counterpart, so at least all the lil disney kiddies are going to get fed a much cooler version that'll get them to buy more of his merch.

Still a great time for BP and an unbelievable upward trajectory he's on, roadbumps and all

:lupe:my fear that a softer weaker version of Panther is what these readers will gravitate towards.:lupe::lupe:I really hope the MCU version has enough love that THAT iteration is what becomes the norm instead of the character getting punked a few issues back:lupe: