Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Below is the copy and paste of the Q & A on twitter. Placed spoiler tags on them as not everyone has read #5 yet.

The stuff in brackets is me adding clarification to some questions, since some of the users used pics to complete their thoughts.

Q: Will Brian Stelfreeze be returning for this run?
A: Yup. For third arc of A Nation Under Our Feet. Issues 8-12. Also doing covers.

Q: Where does the true concept of "power" lay in Wakanda and does that answer have any relevance in the real world?
A: Motivating (and open) question behind the whole series. Is it the throne? Vibranium? The people? My answer by #11.

Q: as a writer how do you feel if in 100 years this is the only thing you are remembered for professionally?
A: As a writer, I'd be happy if anyone remembers anything I do in 100 years. If it's Panther, I'd be proud as fukk.

Q: do you have a plan for the next issues, or are you making it up as you go?
A: Yes. Submitted outline to Marvel August 2015. Finished all 12 scripts April 2016.

Q: Does the Storm cameo trigger what's going to happen in #7?
A: Not really. But this is her second appearance. And third mention. "Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall..."

Q: will eden be around for a while & are you going to dig further into his story/background?
A: I love Eden. He kinda needs to be around right now for reasons that become clear later. But I'm a fan.

Q: considering he mentions Manifold's sacrifice, is it safe to assume BP remembers everything that happened in Hickman's run
A: Yup. And that memory is playing into everything. Also, not the first time T'Challa has alluded to it. See #4.

Q: is your run with BP over after these 12 issues or will you be continuing past that?
A: Keeping going far as I know. Just sent in a proposal for the next 12, last month. Eager to get writing.

Q: you seem to have painted T'challa as a ruthless autocrat. Would you call the antagonists freedom fighters? I think they are
A: Nah. He's the ruler of a country that's staked its identity on having never fallen. And then it did.

Q: first thank you for all of your writing. Why did you decide to jump into comics?
A: Because I love them. And I quickly learned to love making them.

Q: if you were a person of Wakanda, where would you stand during its current circumstances after #BlackPanther5?
A: Me, personally? I mean I'd probably be with Changamire. But it's not clear that I'd be right.

Q: What motivates T'Challa here [T’Challa making the pact with the captive]? Compassion or kingly duty to protect his ppl, even when they defy him?
A: Stupid as this sound, love. He mourns the lost of this kids brother in a way the kid can never understand.

Q: I'm curious. Who exactly sent out that video clip at the end? Thought Stane on 1st read, thought T'Challa on second.
A: Tetu and Stane.

Q: Did T'Challa really want their advice [the counter-revolutionary experts from the meeting] or was there an ulterior motive to gather info about his foes?
A: His advisors told him he should do it. He (skeptically) heard them out, and then rejected the advice.

Q: is there a well-known story arc in another comic you think is similar/comparable to what you/Brian have done early in BP?
A: A lot of comics influenced the book. But the arc really came out of history. Strong Ethiopian influence on #5.

Q: why would T'Challa seek counsel from those dictators? He's so conflicted that he's not seeing big picture..whatever that is.
A: His old advisors are dead or out. Ramonda and Shuri, out. Wakabi, dead. Zuri, dead. Newer cabinet recommended it.

Q: Why don't the Wakandan people blame Shuri for any of the mishaps that occurred in Wakanda. She was queen.
A: I mean they would if she were around, right?

Q: Quick follow up: so the antagonists feel he's not worthy of being king not that they shouldn't have one at all?
A: All revolutionaries claim to be against despotism...until they win.

Q: why would T'Challa hold meeting w/ those specific counter-revo ppl, knowing that he most likely would reject their advice?
A: Because he's facing a revolution. His cabinet suggested he talk to the best counter-revolutionary minds available.

Q: is the entire convo being broadcast to Wakanda? Even the part when the guy acknowledges T'Challa isn't going to wild out?
A: No. Not the entire. It's been edited.

Q: do you write full scripts, or work in the Marvel method with your artists?
A: Full script. But at the artist to honor the look and layout.

Q: Did you read more poetry to prepare for writing in this form? There is a clear poetics in the dialogue and inner monologues
A: Yes. Even tried to become one years ago. Didn't work.

Q: What went into fleshing out Wakanda as a Nation. You've introduced many areas I never knew existed in the country
A: Thought a lot about the country's history--pre-vibranium. A lot about the diff peoples.

Q: I LOVE the call back to Priest's "we shall have a pact" line
A: Always thought that line was so cool.

Q: Love the question of the extent to which a king's good intentions should matter to the people. What's your personal opinion?
A: I mean they should, theoreticall I guess, But they don't...

Q: How do you reconcile your vision of BP with other writers? Like how do you take into account events like Civil War 2?
A: I try hard not to contradict. But accidents happen. Sometimes I get scripts. Editors are pretty good at watching out

Q: any chance for doing a Wakandan Dictionary for your names/ labels? Something we get in World of Wakanda?
A: It'd be awesome to do one of those Marvel Universe joints from back in the day on Wakanda...

Q: as a former reactionary, what gave you the insight to write T'challa's treatise on weakness (council) & honor towards wabena [the captive]
A: I just tried to think of what he might make of these guys. Like what's in his head as he listens to them.

Q: What is your favorite issue you've written so far?
A: #12

Q: have really enjoyed Tetu as an antagonist with depth. Anyone or any events that specifically influenced you on him?
A: Yup. A lot. Wish I had more time with him. 14th century peasant revolts in France. (Jacquerie) Big influence.

Q: almost sounds like T'challa is agnostic even though Bast is real, or is it more that he knows of bigger threats than Namor?
A: Bast ain't been seen in a long, long time...

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Below is the copy and paste of the Q & A on twitter. Placed spoiler tags on them as not everyone has read #5 yet.

The stuff in brackets is me adding clarification to some questions, since some of the users used pics to complete their thoughts.

Q: Will Brian Stelfreeze be returning for this run?
A: Yup. For third arc of A Nation Under Our Feet. Issues 8-12. Also doing covers.

Q: Where does the true concept of "power" lay in Wakanda and does that answer have any relevance in the real world?
A: Motivating (and open) question behind the whole series. Is it the throne? Vibranium? The people? My answer by #11.

Q: as a writer how do you feel if in 100 years this is the only thing you are remembered for professionally?
A: As a writer, I'd be happy if anyone remembers anything I do in 100 years. If it's Panther, I'd be proud as fukk.

Q: do you have a plan for the next issues, or are you making it up as you go?
A: Yes. Submitted outline to Marvel August 2015. Finished all 12 scripts April 2016.

Q: Does the Storm cameo trigger what's going to happen in #7?
A: Not really. But this is her second appearance. And third mention. "Not idly do the leaves of Lórien fall..."

Q: will eden be around for a while & are you going to dig further into his story/background?
A: I love Eden. He kinda needs to be around right now for reasons that become clear later. But I'm a fan.

Q: considering he mentions Manifold's sacrifice, is it safe to assume BP remembers everything that happened in Hickman's run
A: Yup. And that memory is playing into everything. Also, not the first time T'Challa has alluded to it. See #4.

Q: is your run with BP over after these 12 issues or will you be continuing past that?
A: Keeping going far as I know. Just sent in a proposal for the next 12, last month. Eager to get writing.

Q: you seem to have painted T'challa as a ruthless autocrat. Would you call the antagonists freedom fighters? I think they are
A: Nah. He's the ruler of a country that's staked its identity on having never fallen. And then it did.

Q: first thank you for all of your writing. Why did you decide to jump into comics?
A: Because I love them. And I quickly learned to love making them.

Q: if you were a person of Wakanda, where would you stand during its current circumstances after #BlackPanther5?
A: Me, personally? I mean I'd probably be with Changamire. But it's not clear that I'd be right.

Q: What motivates T'Challa here [T’Challa making the pact with the captive]? Compassion or kingly duty to protect his ppl, even when they defy him?
A: Stupid as this sound, love. He mourns the lost of this kids brother in a way the kid can never understand.

Q: I'm curious. Who exactly sent out that video clip at the end? Thought Stane on 1st read, thought T'Challa on second.
A: Tetu and Stane.

Q: Did T'Challa really want their advice [the counter-revolutionary experts from the meeting] or was there an ulterior motive to gather info about his foes?
A: His advisors told him he should do it. He (skeptically) heard them out, and then rejected the advice.

Q: is there a well-known story arc in another comic you think is similar/comparable to what you/Brian have done early in BP?
A: A lot of comics influenced the book. But the arc really came out of history. Strong Ethiopian influence on #5.

Q: why would T'Challa seek counsel from those dictators? He's so conflicted that he's not seeing big picture..whatever that is.
A: His old advisors are dead or out. Ramonda and Shuri, out. Wakabi, dead. Zuri, dead. Newer cabinet recommended it.

Q: Why don't the Wakandan people blame Shuri for any of the mishaps that occurred in Wakanda. She was queen.
A: I mean they would if she were around, right?

Q: Quick follow up: so the antagonists feel he's not worthy of being king not that they shouldn't have one at all?
A: All revolutionaries claim to be against despotism...until they win.

Q: why would T'Challa hold meeting w/ those specific counter-revo ppl, knowing that he most likely would reject their advice?
A: Because he's facing a revolution. His cabinet suggested he talk to the best counter-revolutionary minds available.

Q: is the entire convo being broadcast to Wakanda? Even the part when the guy acknowledges T'Challa isn't going to wild out?
A: No. Not the entire. It's been edited.

Q: do you write full scripts, or work in the Marvel method with your artists?
A: Full script. But at the artist to honor the look and layout.

Q: Did you read more poetry to prepare for writing in this form? There is a clear poetics in the dialogue and inner monologues
A: Yes. Even tried to become one years ago. Didn't work.

Q: What went into fleshing out Wakanda as a Nation. You've introduced many areas I never knew existed in the country
A: Thought a lot about the country's history--pre-vibranium. A lot about the diff peoples.

Q: I LOVE the call back to Priest's "we shall have a pact" line
A: Always thought that line was so cool.

Q: Love the question of the extent to which a king's good intentions should matter to the people. What's your personal opinion?
A: I mean they should, theoreticall I guess, But they don't...

Q: How do you reconcile your vision of BP with other writers? Like how do you take into account events like Civil War 2?
A: I try hard not to contradict. But accidents happen. Sometimes I get scripts. Editors are pretty good at watching out

Q: any chance for doing a Wakandan Dictionary for your names/ labels? Something we get in World of Wakanda?
A: It'd be awesome to do one of those Marvel Universe joints from back in the day on Wakanda...

Q: as a former reactionary, what gave you the insight to write T'challa's treatise on weakness (council) & honor towards wabena [the captive]
A: I just tried to think of what he might make of these guys. Like what's in his head as he listens to them.

Q: What is your favorite issue you've written so far?
A: #12

Q: have really enjoyed Tetu as an antagonist with depth. Anyone or any events that specifically influenced you on him?
A: Yup. A lot. Wish I had more time with him. 14th century peasant revolts in France. (Jacquerie) Big influence.

Q: almost sounds like T'challa is agnostic even though Bast is real, or is it more that he knows of bigger threats than Namor?
A: Bast ain't been seen in a long, long time...

See when you read Coates answers to these questions you can tell he's put a lot of thought and effort into his story. I don't think someone whose putting so much of themselves into this story is out to chump to the main character. But THEN you get shyt like rape camps and T'Challa meeting with the world's most loathsome dictators and it doesn't translate:patrice:

Another thing. Coates better NOT fukk up Storm's reappearance so help me GOD if she shows up just to chastise T'Challa I will drop the book right then and there. That relationship is too important to me for it to be destroyed by Coates wanting to put T'Challa through another emotional wringer. fukk THAT:camby:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
:lupe:got me nervous with this one brothas. I really don't want to see Bosemans live version catching Ls like comic Panther has been taking the past few years :whoa:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Damn those shops be hustling :whoo: Didn't know some of them rolled like that.

At least the internet is there to balance the fukkery out.

word I took some miss steps earlier on...now I just use midtowncomics as my bible for prices of new issues and been good ever since :youngsabo:

edit: When I was on my quest for all Black Panther self titled Books and Miles Morales Spiderman shyt was :whoo: it's like the wild west....a comic that one comic store had the alternate to the regular cover(equal amounts of both) another store would double or triple the price of the alternate :dead: and :scust: at the same damn time

I finally completed both :blessed: Just looking for key issues for BP like FF #52 1st appearance, 1st joined the avengers #52 and Avengers #87 origin of T'challa. If you know more let a brotha know. Not sure of any MM key issues besides his first appearance which I got :manny:

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
See when you read Coates answers to these questions you can tell he's put a lot of thought and effort into his story. I don't think someone whose putting so much of themselves into this story is out to chump to the main character. But THEN you get shyt like rape camps and T'Challa meeting with the world's most loathsome dictators and it doesn't translate:patrice:

Exactly. I mean, we're talking about a dude that faced coups before, and even successfully lead a Wakandan victory over an alien invasion. Not saying that situations can't be different, but to the point that he or his advisors feel is a good idea to talk to foreign political goons about counter-revolutionary tactics for an internal matter? Especially for a nation like Wakanda that doesn't fukk with foreigners like that?

Hell, T'Challa has the Hatute Zeraze at his disposal. These dudes are goonish as hell. Surely they would have several high-level counter-revolutionary experts who are familiar with the Wakandan socio-political landscape right?

Such a meeting makes sense on paper, but in practice it doesn't work with T'Challa or Wakanda, imho.

Another thing. Coates better NOT fukk up Storm's reappearance so help me GOD if she shows up just to chastise T'Challa I will drop the book right then and there. That relationship is too important to me for it to be destroyed by Coates wanting to put T'Challa through another emotional wringer. fukk THAT:camby:

Cosign.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Shout out to @BXKingPin82 for this gem. :jawalrus:

5SQaete.jpg

Coates was flowing in this entire convo. Def the highlight of #5 and probably the entire run.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
lol @ bp asking them scum bag white folks for advice :heh:

i don't got the energy for the aly raisman level gymnastics needed to rationalize that shyt

His twitter answers garbage.
"Oh that was his new council that recommended he see them" Fukk outta here

"Oh he only brought back those 2 kids with the reality gem but everything else happened" Fukk would he just do that when he has a reality gem and everybody had died? And a reality gem would override Shuri being trapped in a mosquito fossil from jurrasic park.

*cue aly raisman gifs*

@Bigbigguy kept it simple:
Coates really doesn't get BP or what fans like about BP
Kinda fukked up that i would take a 'deadpool vs black panther' book of all things at this point :deadmanny:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I just finished #5 and i don't know what to say. Like I said around issue 3, this will probably read better in a trade. But Coates doesn't know how to write comics. I don't even think he knows how to write fiction. I'm just not understand his BP. It's like he doesn't have grasp of the character, or wants to do something different for him.