Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
i wonder how people are like the story so far
i mean, its only 2 issues in but its pretty good imo

So far, mostly very good reviews with the occasional negative review here and there. People really seem to like it.

I have my issues with the premise and the portrayal of some characters, BUT from an objective standpoint, it is a very well-written story, no doubt. Coates' pen game is on point. The art is great as well. Stelfreeze and Laura Martin complement each other very well.

Add the marketing by Coates and Marvel, plus T'Challa showing up in Civil War, and you have the perfect storm in terms of sales.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
So far, mostly very good reviews with the occasional negative review here and there. People really seem to like it.

I have my issues with the premise and the portrayal of some characters, BUT from an objective standpoint, it is a very well-written story, no doubt. Coates' pen game is on point. The art is great as well. Stelfreeze and Laura Martin complement each other very well.

Add the marketing by Coates and Marvel, plus T'Challa showing up in Civil War, and you have the perfect storm in terms of sales.

the potential for this character blowing up outside of us comic readers who are familiar with him is very real imo
im almost kinda happy hes playing backseat to Spider-Man cause it allows more time for his story and character to marinate in more with the general public
in my opinion (like you said, people are buying these books)
the intrigue is there
i mean shyt, ive got all the books on my External HD and after seeing him in CW im anxious as hell to see where they take the character moving forward
the good thing tho, is that these folks managed to sell Ant-Man
took the Guardians who i dont think ANYONE outside of the comic fans knew about
and made them pop
so you have to think... damn! Black Panther. A king of the most technologically advanced spot in the world
dope ass power
serious in tone
it gotta work yo

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
the potential for this character blowing up outside of us comic readers who are familiar with him is very real imo
im almost kinda happy hes playing backseat to Spider-Man cause it allows more time for his story and character to marinate in more with the general public
in my opinion (like you said, people are buying these books)
the intrigue is there
i mean shyt, ive got all the books on my External HD and after seeing him in CW im anxious as hell to see where they take the character moving forward
the good thing tho, is that these folks managed to sell Ant-Man
took the Guardians who i dont think ANYONE outside of the comic fans knew about
and made them pop
so you have to think... damn! Black Panther. A king of the most technologically advanced spot in the world
dope ass power
serious in tone
it gotta work yo

Real talk, if there's one BP property I'm not too worried about, its the movies.

Say what you want about Marvel Studios, once they decide to work on a project, they put in the work. Word to Ant-Man and Guardians, two properties--as you mentioned--that aren't well-known outside of comics.

No guarantees that the BP movie will be a classic, but I'm very confident that it won't be trash.

And so long as it isn't trash and has cool moments, the BP franchise will go up :obama:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Im sayin, i dont want bp gettin hijacked period. let alone in day 1.
IM got 3 movies, no compromise no replacement.
Cap 3 movies, no compromise, no replacemwnts
Thor 3 movies, and likely no compromise, no replacements

The idea of the first black male lead since blade being set up to be replaced... which ironically is what they tried to do with Blade 3... nah i just cant rock with the thought of that, let alone bein brought up b4 even the first film is out

If you are referring to what I said, since I think I'm the one that brought it up....I NEVER said anything about Black Panther losing the mantle in no damn first movie. What I said was that if we get 3, then Shuri could easily get the costume (meaning an expanded role as a superhero since that is how she is known). She became BP like 3 years after her debut, and continued to wear the costume up until...That's damn near the only reason people even care about her being in the movie...to see her in a costume in an expanded role. If you're not in costume in the MCU, you have nothing going for you. All logic with the comic book readers was that she'd be BP at some point down the line, since that's what happened in the comics. That was it. Some of y'all took it somewhere else about not supporting black excellence or pushing a feminist agenda when it wasn't even about that.

In the Civil War thread, but I said something about her getting her own superhero name (in comics), and
@Realdealholy
mentioned that maybe her title as Princess Shuri was enough and that she didn't need another superhero name. As long as she wears the costume. I agreed with that. He basically made the same point here...and it's a good one. Honestly, if you're in the CB thread, you'd see that I despise legacy characters. I always say that characters receive their own names...own identities. Unfortunately, others in the CB industry do not feel the same.

But if you don't read the comics, y'all really can't discuss Shuri. She had an initial backlash, but those that stuck with it loved it. Y'all talking about wanting to see black superheroes and one is already set up for a major push. Monica Rambeau doesn't have a strong enough identity and they've been pushing the fukk outta her, but she hasn't caught on. Misty Knight is too street and not high profiled enough. Storm's solo series have all flopped, she's had about 5 that I remember. Honestly, the current BP series is just in the beginning but it's only selling out due to the media coverage and high status of the writer. So far it has been OK at best..too early to tell. No one even bought the Power Man (Victor Alvarez) & Iron Fist, and there was very little support for the all-minority Mighty Avengers...or even the current Ultimates. There are plenty of black characters Marvel is pushing in the books...they just aren't catching on. But Shuri has the stars aligned

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
If you are referring to what I said, since I think I'm the one that brought it up....I NEVER said anything about Black Panther losing the mantle in no damn first movie. What I said was that if we get 3, then Shuri could easily get the costume (meaning an expanded role as a superhero since that is how she is known). She became BP like 3 years after her debut, and continued to wear the costume up until...That's damn near the only reason people even care about her being in the movie...to see her in a costume in an expanded role. If you're not in costume in the MCU, you have nothing going for you. All logic with the comic book readers was that she'd be BP at some point down the line, since that's what happened in the comics. That was it. Some of y'all took it somewhere else about not supporting black excellence or pushing a feminist agenda when it wasn't even about that.

In the Civil War thread, but I said something about her getting her own superhero name (in comics), and
@Realdealholy
mentioned that maybe her title as Princess Shuri was enough and that she didn't need another superhero name. As long as she wears the costume. I agreed with that. He basically made the same point here...and it's a good one. Honestly, if you're in the CB thread, you'd see that I despise legacy characters. I always say that characters receive their own names...own identities. Unfortunately, others in the CB industry do not feel the same.

But if you don't read the comics, y'all really can't discuss Shuri. She had an initial backlash, but those that stuck with it loved it. Y'all talking about wanting to see black superheroes and one is already set up for a major push. Monica Rambeau doesn't have a strong enough identity and they've been pushing the fukk outta her, but she hasn't caught on. Misty Knight is too street and not high profiled enough. Storm's solo series have all flopped, she's had about 5 that I remember. Honestly, the current BP series is just in the beginning but it's only selling out due to the media coverage and high status of the writer. So far it has been OK at best..too early to tell. No one even bought the Power Man (Victor Alvarez) & Iron Fist, and there was very little support for the all-minority Mighty Avengers...or even the current Ultimates. There are plenty of black characters Marvel is pushing in the books...they just aren't catching on. But Shuri has the stars aligned
2 things:

1. Nah, I wasn't talking about you (or i didn't know what your stance was specifically). The Shuri vs T'Challa thing (which shouldn't even be a thing) has been ongoing for at least over a year now. Probably longer but i wasn't paying it much mind before to comment, and not necessarily on this board either. With what you've just said here, I got no beef with your stance.. which isn't to say i agree fully with it (for example, i don't think they've been pushing anything with Monica outside of Al Ewing making her wallpaper bride status to his Blue Marvel fetish... and that Ultimates does fairly well for a book that's boring as shyt... boring being subjective and imo of course)... but some of the details aside, i get where you're coming from and I agree with the general notion.

2. I'm constantly in the CB thread and i've been read Priest, Hudlin and Hickman's BP run (along with most the other inbetweeners)... long before there was an announcement of a movie and loooong before it was cool to be a black panther fan in social media, so i speak pretty freely about Shuri, T'Challa, race in comics, gender in comics and pretty much whatever else... i'd probably do so even if i hadn't been reading comics for years tbh..

With all that said, my stance is still the same: I want no replacement bp's in the franchise but the idea that it has to be one extreme or another for Shuri to be involved is also ridiculous. She can be involved and do her thing, and it would be a positive.

OGBobbyJohnson

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tri State Area
Brehs I'm hyped for this movie because they've been trying to make this since the 90's & it's a black superhero but I never read the comics..Should i try to read the comics first :lupe:..I read comics a little bit as a kid but I wasn't a comic book head like that..Ya'll seem so knowledgeable in here..I'm bout to read thru this entire thread
Where do i start?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Pound for pound, Priest's run is the best, imho:

-Best characterization of T'Challa. Priest's run basically established the T'Challa we know today.
-Best BP Story: Sturm Und Drang.
-Great contributions to the BP supporting cast - the Dora Milaje, the Hatute Zeraze, Zuri, White Wolf...and of course, the infamous Everett Ross :leostare:.

-Excellent writing.
-If you are a T'Challa and Ororo shipper, Priest had perhaps the best interaction between the two. If only he was allowed to put them together like he originally wanted.:wow:

Other runs def have their pluses and minuses, but Priest's run was the best overall, to me.

naw Hudlin had that on lock

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
@Realdealholy speaking of Priest, he posted a blog on he thought BP characterization in CW and the movie itself

Okay, I saw it. Snapshot:

Not my Panther. An interesting take and nice performance by Boseman, but missing the fundamental element of the Black Panther (and upcoming PriestStroke): that he’s smarter than everybody else in the room. Black Panther’s super-power is his intellect, and this guy spent most of the movie pursuing an errant assumption.

T’Chaka was wasted. Could have gotten so very much more mileage out of that character.

Not my Ross. Martin Freeman is hilarious, this character was not. Ross was not brought on-stage properly and is ultimately forgettable. Also, I had no idea they’d have “Thunderbolt” Ross (whom I enjoyed) in the film, thus confusing the characters. I suppose it’d be fine if my Ross was somehow related, but the thought had never crossed my mind.

The overall plot was pretty thin– we’re going to fight because some of us signed some stupid pledge. Okay.

Spider-Man stole the movie. My goodness, well done. Thank you, Marvel for finally getting him right. A close second: Ant-Man.

Falcon and War Machine (thank God they dumped the “Iron Patriot” nonsense) finally got some dimension to their characters. Still not enough. The black characters need to be more than just wallpaper.

Falcon’s wings really suck. I expressed that to the exec producer– the costume doesn’t work. This is a nice rendering for a promo poster– have no idea why they don;t look this good in the film. Robo-Redwing doesn’t work, use a real (well, real CGI) animal. Falcon (and Batman) way too techy now.

Scarlet Witch still too undefined.

Whuhoppen to Jarvis Voice? Did Tony just dump Jarvis because of Ultron? If so, would have been better to mention that somewhere than to pull me out of the film every time IM’s suit reported to him.

Overall a huge improvement over Ultron (snooze, hard to follow). Kudos to Downey for at least attempting to make this a “real” movie by doing some actual acting here and there. Would have appreciated more dramatic scenes at the expense of the fights which, face it, got kind of repetitive after while. My mind started wandering back to Deathstroke (deadlines, deadlines).

A very good, if flawed, film, but Marvel really needs to start shaking up the formula because I really do feel like I’ve seen this movie three or four times now.

reply to comments in his post

T’Chaka was not fat. Or short. Wakandan security forces are *elite* and could take on the AV’s themselves. The Dora Milaje would both need to be dead–twice–before they allowed any harm to come to their king. This was a gross violation of the TChaka character (and by extension, BP). T’Chaka was incredibly wily and would *never* have been caught off-guard like this guy. Assassinating the Wakandan king would be considered an act of war–not even mentioned. An old fat guy got whacked. On to the next plot point.

T’Challa should have–would have been compelled–to threaten massive retaliation–Nayimi war machines rising from beneath the oceans approaching U.S. coastline, frantic negotiations–they air drop EK Ross in to chill Panther out. The tension is ratcheted way up because we raise the stakes: if they don’t turn the Winter Soldier over to T’Challa, he’s going to hold ALL of America accountable.

Monday morning quarterbacking, of course, but this is what I’m saying: the above would not have taken a lot of extra screen time but it would have been truer to this character–not *my* take on him, but the character.

Very disappointed; it’s just not the character. T’Chaka was at *least* as good at his job as T’Challa is. They should have cast Denzel as T’Chaka and handled that whole thing better or, better yet, not use T’Chaka as a cliched plot device but show Ulysses Klaue killing him (to get his hands on the Vibranium) in the Panther film. Serious missed opportunity and worst blunder of this otherwise terrific film.

At the very least, T’Chaka should have been 6’5″ and can bench press 300 lbs. Very unhappy about T’Chaka. They just blew off the character, which does not show much respect for the BP legend, to which the father–who was also The Black Panther–is the essential motivation: T’Challa handed a role he neither sought nor is particularly happy about performing.
Okay, I Saw It (No Spoilers) « Welcome To Lamercie Park

So what you guys think, do you agree with what Priest said considering he wrote the best Black Panther series in BP comic history?

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
@Realdealholy speaking of Priest, he posted a blog on he thought BP characterization in CW and the movie itself

So what you guys think, do you agree with what Priest said considering he wrote the best Black Panther series in BP comic history?
What he said was dead on...
@Ziggiy @Achille @Realdealholy :sas2:

Straight up made T'Chaka a plot device/forgettable character :wow:
However, I will say watching it again I appreciated BP more.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

While I respect Priest I disagree with him on certain points.

This is not "His" Panther because this a T'Challa who is just coming into king-hood, this a younger, fiery, less patient T'Challa who is dealing with the pain and rage of just having witnessed his father being murdered. In this sense he's more of Hudlin's version of Panther in the 6 issue "Who Is The Black Panther?" Arc, and I really enjoy Hudlin's Panther so I had absolutely no qualms with the T'Challa we got in CW

Also as far as being the smartest guy in the room, ten steps ahead, while it wasn't expressly said, it was inferred that even a young, anger fueled T'Challa was JUST that. He found out where Bucky was hiding without the benefit of Sharon Carter giving Cap information. He competely stayed out of the fray between Tony and Stark, so instead of being side tracked by useless squabbling he tracked down Zemo and was able to apprehend him. Also in his fighting prowess he was deliberate and calculating, he beat down Bucky and would have killed him had not Steve and Natasha intervened, he beat down Haweye, and went toe to toe with Cap. Every move was precise.

As far as Everett Ross, frankly fukk Everet Ross. He was brought in, by Priest's OWN admittance (along with White Wolf another character I detest) to give white audiences a POV character because he was afraid that Cac's wouldn't root for a black hero, so he made Ross the narrator, which I hated even as a kid. Everett Ross's characterization in CW was again, mostly inspired from Hudlin's run. He is as he belongs, a government affiliate. I don't want to see him become T'Challa's Cac BFF...

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Straight up made T'Chaka a plot device/forgettable character :wow:

I def understand where he's coming from. But considering the circumstances in which we meet T'Challa, it wasn't going to be exactly like his version in the comics.

It's well known that the MCU often doesn't go lockstep with the comics. In this timeline, T'Chaka actually lived a long time, to the point that he retires from the BP mantle. Thus, Priest's T'Challa probably wasn't going to appear in this film.

Considering that MCU movies operate using the "real-life" timeline, the BP solo will appear almost two years after the events of Civil War. There's a very strong possibility that we indeed will see the more seasoned T'Challa that we are all familiar with at that point.

Sidenote: John Kani may not have been the most imposing cast decision as T'Chaka, but his interactions with T'Challa were a highlight to me. But that's just my opinion :manny:

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

This is not "His" Panther because this a T'Challa who is just coming into king-hood, this a younger, fiery, less patient T'Challa who is dealing with the pain and rage of just having witnessed his father being murdered. In this sense he's more of Hudlin's version of Panther in the 6 issue "Who Is The Black Panther?" Arc, and I really enjoy Hudlin's Panther so I had absolutely no qualms with the T'Challa we got in CW

Also as far as being the smartest guy in the room, ten steps ahead, while it wasn't expressly said, it was inferred that even a young, anger fueled T'Challa was JUST that. He found out where Bucky was hiding without the benefit of Sharon Carter giving Cap information. He competely stayed out of the fray between Tony and Stark, so instead of being side tracked by useless squabbling he tracked down Zemo and was able to apprehend him. Also in his fighting prowess he was deliberate and calculating, he beat down Bucky and would have killed him had not Steve and Natasha intervened, he beat down Haweye, and went toe to toe with Cap. Every move was precise.

As far as Everett Ross, frankly fukk Everet Ross. He was brought in, by Priest's OWN admittance (along with White Qolf another character I detest) to give white audiences a POV character because he was afraid that Cac's wouldn't root for a black hero, so he made Ross the narrator, which I hated even as a kid. Everett Ross's characterization in CW was again, mostly inspired from Hudlin's run. He is as he belongs, a government affiliate. I don't want. to see him become T'Challa's Cac BFF...
I too hated that Ross was the narrator. I feel it made him more human than Panther and I didn't see the need for that.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Also as far as being the smartest guy in the room, ten steps ahead, while it wasn't expressly said, it was inferred that even a young, anger fueled T'Challa was JUST that. He found out where Bucky was hiding without the benefit of Sharon Carter giving Cap information. He compete;y stayed out of the fray between Tony and Stark, so instead of being side tracked by useless squabbling he tracked down Zemo and was able to apprehend him. Also in his fighting prowess he was deliberate and calculating, he beat down Bucky and would have killed him had not Steve and Natasha intervened, he beat down Haweye, and went toe to toe with Cap. Every move was precise.

As far as Everett Ross, frankly fukk Everet Ross. He was brought in, by Priest's OWN admittance (along with White Qolf another character I detest) to give white audiences a POV character because he was afraid that Cac's wouldn't root for a black hero, so he made Ross the narrator, which I hated even as a kid. Everett Ross's characterization in CW was again, mostly inspired from Hudlin's run. He is as he belongs, a government affiliate. I don't want. to see him become T'Challa's Cac BFF...

I get what you're saying. But it was a disappointment that its implied he's smart instead of showing that he's smart. Similar problem with the Nolan films of not showing Batman do detective work. Its not a major criticism for me.

His fighting was on point. But the character himself...he was cool :manny:

Watching him constantly get zapped by Black Widow was :heh:

The end scene with Zemo just wasn't handled well imo.
But he'll be more fleshed out in his own movie so it's all good. :yeshrug:

T'Chaka was the biggest letdown for me. Did not see that coming.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I get what you're saying. But it was a disappointment that its implied he's smart instead of showing that he's smart. Similar problem with the Nolan films of not showing Batman do detective work. Its not a major criticism for me.

His fighting was on point. But the character himself...he was cool :manny:

But he'll be more fleshed out in his own movie so it's all good. :yeshrug:

The Russo Bros. have admitted that they held back ALOT with T'Challa because they didn't want to impede on Ryan Coogler's vision for the solo film. So I am willing to give a pass to the "implied not shown" depiction of T'Challa's supreme intellect for this reason and also out of respect for Chadwick Boseman, who did a HELL of a job emoting the nobility and intelligence of T'Challa without even having to say a word.