• T'Challa is characterized as Obama meets James Bond
  • Predominantly Afrikan and African-American cast
  • Will establish Wakanda
  • Will set up the Marvel Universe for Infinity Wars

We also know that
  • Klaw
  • Ross
  • Bucky

are reasonably likely to appear in the movie at some point. The first two self-explanatory and Bucky signed like a 9 picture deal so you figure it's only a matter of time.

I think they could essentially do Shuri like they did BP in Civil War.. which, now that i think about it, is essentially like they did Poe. to echo realdealholy, she just needs a couple cool moments and an established importance, and she'll be fully embraced. But until we learn what the actual plot is and not just a bird's eye view of the concepts, it's hard to say how it would be done.

Indeed. T'Challa was basically in Civil war for about 15 minutes and only had 28 lines. Yet he was made impactful via his actions, and his lines were focused, to the point, and poignant.

Follow the same principle with Shuri, except with a different dynamic in terms of personally and weapons, and boom: you have your first black female superhero in the MCU:obama:

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They want to make Lupita the love interest to the Black Male lead and some of you are complaining:why:

Just keep it 100 and say you would prefer some lighter skinned, mixed or typical Hollywood looking type :camby:
We all fan casted brown/dark skinned non mixed actresses like Teyonah Parris, Nicole Beharie, Tika Sumpter and Rutina Wesley as love interests so you can take that colorism accusation elsewhere :camby:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I think Marvel just does this to get an reaction from the buzz and see who's really interested the news.

I'm starting to think so too. My gut feeling says something is off about this casting decision.

I def expected Lupita to be approached but not as Shuri? That's....really strange.

I just don't see Marvel passing up the chance of having another viable character with a big name for an actress that they could possibly use for other movies. Love interests don't have much impact in the MCU unless they are superheroes themselves. "Side kicks" however, have a chance of branching out.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
We all fan casted brown/dark skinned non mixed actresses like Teyonah Parris, Nicole Beharie, Tika Sumpter and Rutina Wesley as love interests so you can take that colorism accusation elsewhere :camby:

All closer to the standard "Hollywood(American) type" like I previously said :martin: meanwhile Lupita's darker, less Americanized, got a shape-up and aint wearing a weave.

Some just can't see her as the "love interest" because she's aesthetically against type, so it's "she gotta be his sister", "she too mature", X, Y and Z etc instead :shaq2:

Now I'm not saying I wouldn't seed up all women in question, especially Beharie :whoa: but I've got to call this bullshyt out.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
:dead::dead::dead:

Lupita's ppl need to hit her up about this LOL
:russ::lolbron:

those of yall who have twitters, can yall at lupita, marvel fiege and cooler about this stuff?

i mean, i'm fairly certain they're seeing the mixed reaction/confusion (yay for being casting, nay for her not being shuri) but the avalanche effect of social media is a powerful tool these days

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/charles-woods-on-black-love-in-film.384812/

Charles "The Professor" Woods discusses Black on Black Love in American cinema. Interesting vid:

Maybe your right:mjpls::skip::scust:

Peep the dork contingent : Lupita Nyong'o in talks for Black Panther

People make me sick...people have been saying how beautiful Lupita is and how she deserves the same opportunities as her white counterparts since 12YAS....she gets bit parts, and plays a fukking orange alien in SW. Now she lands a lead role as a love interest to an African KING...and the same mutha fukkas have an issue with it.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
:russ::lolbron:

those of yall who have twitters, can yall at lupita, marvel fiege and cooler about this stuff?

i mean, i'm fairly certain they're seeing the mixed reaction/confusion (yay for being casting, nay for her not being shuri) but the avalanche effect of social media is a powerful tool these days

I might just do that, cuz as you saw, everyone is happy Lupita's gonna be in the film, but they all want her to be Shuri, lol. shyt's a major missed opportunity if they do otherwise. The brehettes (and a lot of brehs) would be 100% done for Lupita as Shuri.

Monica Lynne better be the shyt, cuz if she gets outshine by Shuri, which is very possible, then damn.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
Most of us were hoping that she would be Shuri, as we fan casted her in that role a looooonnnng time ago.

If she is indeed the love interest, hopefully its a good--if not great--role that is worthy of her talents and is more than just your typical love interest role.

EDIT: If T'Challa has a love interest, she better be a black woman and none of that "ehh" shyt either.

I didn't know Lupita is the only dark skin actress in Hollywood

So Lupita's the only actress who can play Shurri because of her trim? :martin:

She's either been a CGI creature or background noise (which is what Shurri would be) in her roles. But now when they want to not only cast her as the main female lead but also the love interest to the Black Male lead, it's a problem? :what:''''''''''' :camby:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

People make me sick...people have been saying how beautiful Lupita is and how she deserves the same opportunities as her white counterparts since 12YAS....she gets bit parts, and plays a fukking orange alien in SW. Now she lands a lead role as a love interest to an African KING...and the same mutha fukkas have an issue with it.

So Lupita's the only actress who can play Shurri because of her trim? :martin:

She's either been a CGI creature or background noise (which is what Shurri would be) in her roles. But now when they want to not only cast her as the main female lead but also the love interest to the Black Male lead, it's a problem? :what:''''''''''' :camby:

I think you've misunderstood my post. I'm happy that Lupita is in the film, I've said that many times already. I've clearly said I am fine with Lupita being the love interest, if that's what she'll be, I've said that already in a previous post. I do hope that the role she gets as a love interest is more than just shacking up with T'Challa, which is very possible. I have absolutely zero problems with black love in the big screen--I encourage it in fact, especially in the case of T'Challa--and I do hope that T'Challa does indeed get a black love interest, whether it is Lupita in the end or someone who even looks like her in someway, or someone else entirely. But they have to be black with no ambiguity. That has been my stance on the love interest role from the jump.

The reason why so many people are hoping Lupita would be Shuri instead is because damn near all of BP fandom has been fan-casting Lupita for the Shuri role for years now. Lupita is a great actress with a big name that many were hoping to play a super hero one day. It just so happens that there is a comic book character that is a highly-trained, highly-educated african warrior princess that becomes a "superhero" and even the Queen of her country and also happens to actually look like Lupita. That's Shuri in a nutshell. She's far more than just "background noise" in the comics, she actually is very important in it.

I also feel that under the right creative team, Shuri could def be Black Widow status, or even more. She def can be a character that black girls and black women in particular can absolutely look up to, the same way black boys and black men look up to T'Challa.

If Lupita is indeed the love interest, Monica Lynne or otherwise, then its all good. If so, I just hope that the love interest role will be impactful and will have a lot of meat to it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
:whoa: yea some of us are misinterpreting people reacting as fans to reacting as... something else.

I'm all against colorism and the light-skinned/biracial agenda when it comes to our women just as much as the next person (actually more so), and ironically enough i myself have always been somewhat indifferent to Shuri personally, but i can attest that there have been a number of black panther fans who have not only been very protective and passionate of shuri but have been hoping for Lupita specifically to land the role... for well over a year now. It'd be like a dream fan-casting come true.

That's why in social media, this forum, the comic book forums, i even just lurked at the lipstickalley forum and even the black women there are giddy over the prospect of Lupita taking the Shuri role, even while being fully ok and thrilled if the rumors are true with her being the love interest.

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami

I might just do that, cuz as you saw, everyone is happy Lupita's gonna be in the film, but they all want her to be Shuri, lol. shyt's a major missed opportunity if they do otherwise. The brehettes (and a lot of brehs) would be 100% done for Lupita as Shuri.

Monica Lynne better be the shyt, cuz if she gets outshine by Shuri, which is very possible, then damn.
Nothing has been confirm yet if Lupita even gonna be in the movie.

No news has change since this news broke

They still reporting the same story "Lupita is in talks to be the lead female in BP"
Apparently Marvel wanted Lupita for Thor 3 might've been the role Tessa got :jbhmm:
Link to this?

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what we know about the BP movie:

• Geopolitical thriller
  • Globe hopping Mission Impossible type vibe
  • T'Challa is characterized as Obama meets James Bond
  • Predominantly Afrikan and African-American cast
  • Will establish Wakanda
  • Will set up the Marvel Universe for Infinity Wars

We also know that
  • Klaw
  • Ross
  • Bucky

are reasonably likely to appear in the movie at some point. The first two self-explanatory and Bucky signed like a 9 picture deal so you figure it's only a matter of time.

I think they could essentially do Shuri like they did BP in Civil War.. which, now that i think about it, is essentially like they did Poe. to echo realdealholy, she just needs a couple cool moments and an established importance, and she'll be fully embraced. But until we learn what the actual plot is and not just a bird's eye view of the concepts, it's hard to say how it would be done.
I hope for the sequel they adopt Panthers Rage storyline (:ufdup: if you haven't read it yet)

Also Marvel needs to collect the pre-Priest Black Panther titles/stories. I hunted down right many about 10 years ago but I'm still missing issues