Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
:whoa: yea some of us are misinterpreting people reacting as fans to reacting as... something else.

Indeed, a lot of us are speaking from a fan's perspective, not on some :mjpls: shyt or what not. Thing is, in terms of love interest, once you take away Storm (for obvious legal reasons) you have Monica Lynne, who's a classic case of damnsel-in-distress, and maybe a Dora Milaje that falls in love with the King (Nakia) or has low key feelings for him and keeps it to herself somewhat.

IMHO and the opinion of many other BP fans, Shuri is far more compelling than those characters. We are talking about someone who becomes the closest thing to T'Challa's equal in Wakanda, by being a Black Panther and the Queen of Wakanda, as an absolute ruler. Not to mention that even if she doesn't become a BP, she's still the Princess of Wakanda and is still highly-trained and highly-educated black woman that is a warrior and has diplomatic immunity and royal lineage. That's dope.

I'm all against colorism and the light-skinned/biracial agenda when it comes to our women just as much as the next person (actually more so), and ironically enough i myself have always been somewhat indifferent to Shuri personally, but i can attest that there have been a number of black panther fans who have not only been very protective and passionate of shuri but have been hoping for Lupita specifically to land the role... for well over a year now. It'd be like a dream fan-casting come true.

That's why in social media, this forum, the comic book forums, i even just lurked at the lipstickalley forum and even the black women there are giddy over the prospect of Lupita taking the Shuri role, even while being fully ok and thrilled if the rumors are true with her being the love interest.

Speaking of the colorism and lightskinned/biracial agenda, that's actually a big reason why I want Shuri to be a bigger character.

As much as many of us may like Storm, lets be real: she's a black female character with a bunch of eurocentric features: blue eyes, white flowy hair, and so on. Some comic book writers even go further with reducing her blackness by saying that she is an amalgam of all races of the world. Then you have those that say that her being a mutant >>> her being black. Add the fact that she's been played by biracial actresses twice now, and it compounds.

Shuri doesn't have any of that baggage. She's unquestionably dark skinned, they couldn't get away with casting a biracial or lightskinned actress for her role at all. Her features are African as hell, top to bottom. She's 100% proud of her heritage and her culture and most importantly she absolutely knows where her loyalties lie, at all times. There's no ambiguity with her whatsoever about who she is, what part of the world she's from, and what she's all about.

And for those wondering: no she absolutely not on that :mjpls:, nor is she a bench wench, c00nette or all that stuff at all. You could even argue that she's low key the militant of the family, as she's more of a traditionalist than T'Challa is.

Much rather black girls of the future root for a character like her, imho :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Brehs have to understand...in terms of love interest, once you take away Storm (for obvious legal reasons) you have Monica Lynne, who's a classic case of damnsel-in-distress, and maybe a Dora Milaje that falls in love with the King (Nakia) or has low key feelings for him and keeps it to herself somewhat.T

imho and the opinion of many other BP fans, Shuri is actually far more compelling than those characters. We are talking about someone who becomes the closest thing to T'Challa's equal in Wakanda, by being a Black Panther and the Queen of Wakanda, as an absolute ruler. Not to mention that even if she doesn't become a BP, she's still the Princess of Wakanda and is still highly-trained and highly-educated black woman that is a warrior and has diplomatic immunity and royal lineage. That's dope.

Speaking of the colorism and lightskinned/biracial agenda, that's actually a big reason why I want Shuri to be a bigger character.

As much as many of us like Storm, lets be real: she's a black female character with a bunch of eurocentric features: blue eyes, white flow hair, and so on. Some comic book writers even go further with reducing her blackness by saying that she is an amalgam of all races of the world. Then you have those that say that her being a mutant >>> her being black. Add the fact that she's been played by biracial actresses twice now, and it compounds.

Shuri doesn't have any of that baggage. She's unquestionably dark skinned, they couldn't get away with casting a biracial or lightskinned actress for her role at all. Her features are African as hell, top to bottom. She's 100% proud of her heritage and her culture and most importantly she absolutely knows where her loyalties lie, at all times. There's no ambiguity with her whatsoever about who she is, what part of the world she's from, and what she's all about.

And for those wondering: no she absolutely not on that :mjpls:, nor is she a bench wench, c00nette or all that stuff at all. You could even argue that she's low key the militant of the family, as she's more of a traditionalist than T'Challa is.

Much rather black girls of the future root for a character like her, imho :yeshrug:
Dapped and Repped

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Dapped and Repped

'Preciate it.*reps back*

If Lupita is the love interest, I'll def be rooting for her in the end, would've done it regardless. It just so happens that many fans feel Shuri is a much more compelling character for someone of her stature to go for.

With that said, the love inteterest, whether it be Monica Lynne or otherwise, might just get a hell of a tune-up and we all like her performance AND the character as well. That would be great.

Ideally, we would get both characters being played by great actresses that do them justice.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Indeed, a lot of us are speaking from a fan's perspective, not on some :mjpls: shyt or what not. Thing is, in terms of love interest, once you take away Storm (for obvious legal reasons) you have Monica Lynne, who's a classic case of damnsel-in-distress, and maybe a Dora Milaje that falls in love with the King (Nakia) or has low key feelings for him and keeps it to herself somewhat.

IMHO and the opinion of many other BP fans, Shuri is far more compelling than those characters. We are talking about someone who becomes the closest thing to T'Challa's equal in Wakanda, by being a Black Panther and the Queen of Wakanda, as an absolute ruler. Not to mention that even if she doesn't become a BP, she's still the Princess of Wakanda and is still highly-trained and highly-educated black woman that is a warrior and has diplomatic immunity and royal lineage. That's dope.

As much as many of us may like Storm, lets be real: she's a black female character with a bunch of eurocentric features: blue eyes, white flowy hair, and so on. Some comic book writers even go further with reducing her blackness by saying that she is an amalgam of all races of the world. Then you have those that say that her being a mutant >>> her being black. Add the fact that she's been played by biracial actresses twice now, and it compounds.

I don't even like Shuri but this is a solid post

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
4be836c642bf9.jpg

CUjx1FN.png
Make it happen......................

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/charles-woods-on-black-love-in-film.384812/

Peep the dork contingent : Lupita Nyong'o in talks for Black Panther

People make me sick...people have been saying how beautiful Lupita is and how she deserves the same opportunities as her white counterparts since 12YAS....she gets bit parts, and plays a fukking orange alien in SW. Now she lands a lead role as a love interest to an African KING...and the same mutha fukkas have an issue with it.

c00ns and Cacs gonna c00n and Cac breh:yeshrug:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Remember these jawns
667042-isshethenewblackpanterstorm.jpg
Shuri_Black_Panther_Ad.0.jpg

IsSheBlackPanther2.jpg

Now it's Who will Lupita play? Since we've fan casted her as Shuri prob 2 years ago, it would only be right. Besides, Lupita is too big to be "love interest."

Besides, I think Disney goes with Chadwick's onscreen boo (Nicole Behari) as Monica Lynne.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Remember these jawns
667042-isshethenewblackpanterstorm.jpg
Shuri_Black_Panther_Ad.0.jpg

IsSheBlackPanther2.jpg

Now it's Who will Lupita play? Since we've fan casted her as Shuri prob 2 years ago, it would only be right. Besides, Lupita is too big to be "love interest."

Besides, I think Disney goes with Chadwick's onscreen boo (Nicole Behari) as Monica Lynne.

Nothing is confirmed yet, so we'll have to wait and see. However, it's either the love interest role is substantial, the Shuri role is rather small, a combo of both, or the love interest part is complete bs lol.

Lupita actually wrote an essay about why she turned down "big roles" for "smaller ones." Here's an excerpt.

As an actress, feeling connected to a fully realized, complex character is what I look for first. The size of the role, and the budget, and the perceived "buzz" around the project are much less important to me. As an African woman, I am wary of the trap of telling a single story. I decided early on that if I don't feel connected to, excited by, and challenged by the character, the part probably isn't for me. If I'm ever in doubt, I envision the career choices of artists I admire, like Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett, and Viola Davis. They are all fearless actresses who approach every role without ego or vanity. They have a fierce commitment to the moment and the role, whether it's the lead or a character we see for just one scene. They give it their all, and it shows. The thought of having a career that in any small way might resemble theirs excites me.

======

For me, there is a difference between a trope and an archetype. A trope is a writer's device that often plays into stereotypes and presumed expectations, refusing to embody originality of any thought. An archetype is a fundamental human motif that exists in universal myth. I don't mind inhabiting an archetype if it has been given life and interiority. I love the idea of people of color participating in mythical, magical stories, whether that's as a hero, villain, sage, or sorceress. Or all of the above! I think sometimes a singular catharsis can be found in genre storytelling — as I found when playing a thousand-year-old woman (Maz Kanata in Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and a wolf mother (Raksha in The Jungle Book). I'm able to be more engaged in roles such as those than I would be in playing "the wife" when she is written with no motivation or singularity. Even more important than the genre are the intention of the author, what story is being told, and the power of the emotional journey of the characters. In Eclipsed, Danai has blessed us with five such journeys. None of these women are tropes. They are battling real demons, living with difficult decisions in an all-too-real world stricken with the trauma of war. It's an incredible gift to play one of them, and it's liberating to share this view into women's experiences with a Broadway audience.
Why I Chose a "Small Play" over the Big Screen

Perhaps there's more to the LI role than we may think?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
So Lupita's the only actress who can play Shurri because of her trim? :martin:

She's either been a CGI creature or background noise (which is what Shurri would be) in her roles. But now when they want to not only cast her as the main female lead but also the love interest to the Black Male lead, it's a problem? :what:''''''''''' :camby:

Considering BP's love interests in the books, unless it was Storm (who it obviously will not be), then Shuri would be a more important and prominent character anyway tho. You're fighting the wrong battle against the wrong people breh.