Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Disney should just give the people what they want and make her Shuri. The only way this wouldn't be a quick fix would be if they hadn't written Shuri into the movie, which would be them fukking up from the get-go. Like don't not put her in the movie but then cast an actress that looks exactly like her and not expect people to react the way they have. Marvel should be smarter than that, so i suspect Shuri is in the movie and if so they should just make the quick swap and hit up one of those actress @Ziggiy be posting as the love interest.

It'd be easy work and an easy touchdown + 2 pt conversion for Disney

I honestly would be shocked if they didn't offer her the role. That would be really weird.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
If Lupita becomes the love interest and plays american Monica Lynne, I don't know the point of that?

I assume she was gonna be a African character since she is African herself, but they gonna cast her as a black american jazz singer?(that is if her role is a love interest)

Teyonah Parris will be a better choice to play Monica Lynne for black panther love interest
teyonah-parris.jpg

I have said this MULTIPLE times in the past lol.

Teyonah Parris and/or Nicole Behari would be SLAM DUNK casting for the love interest.

HOWEVER

I am not entirely angered at the prospect of Lupita being the love interest IF they are going to go about it the right way..

1). Lupita would NOT be cast as any incarnation of Monica Lynne or any foreign born character. She would have to be Wakandan and she would HAVE to be formidable in her own right.

2). Cast her as either a high ranking Dora Milaje who T'Challa comes to value as a respected ally and eventually fall in love with. Basically the love story would be the reverse of Thor, where Lady Sif was obviously his perfect match but the movie followed the comics Thor/Jane Foster shipping :huhldup:. Or you can cast her as a Wakandan scientist who invents a lot of Black Panther's high tech gear and weapons. Whichever they go with, she HAS to play a crucial role within Wakansa and T'Challa's life OUTSIDE of the love interest

3). Cast a younger unknown African actress to
Play Shuri. If they signed Lupita as Shuri right away then fans would be expecting such a high profile actres yo immediately take center stage, which would come at the cost of further developing Chadwicke as T'Challa. If they cast an unknown that can GROW into role (as Shuri herself did in the Comics) then it would make sense within the larger narrative. Shuri probably shouldn't have the huge of a role until the second Panther film either way.

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
Il telling y'all it CAN be done well. Coogler would just have make sure to check off all the right boxes to justify this particular casting against the popular vote
My problem with casting Lupita as love interest is that I feel she to much mature to play that role, I feel she be cast as Black panther wiser adult instead of romance.

I feel Black Panther love interest has to be young and energetic in my opinion

Lupita feels like a older sister than a love interest for Black Panther

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Il telling y'all it CAN be done well. Coogler would just have make sure to check off all the right boxes to justify this particular casting against the popular vote

Most def, Ryan Coogler will do what it do...I just can't get hyped to Monica Lynne. I hope the movie changes my mind on that.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I have said this MULTIPLE times in the past lol.

Teyonah Parris and/or Nicole Behari would be SLAM DUNK casting for the love interest.

HOWEVER

I am not entirely angered at the prospect of Lupita being the love interest IF they are going to go about it the right way..

1). Lupita would NOT be cast as any incarnation of Monica Lynne or any foreign born character. She would have to be Wakandan and she would HAVE to be formidable in her own right.

2). Cast her as either a high ranking Dora Milaje who T'Challa comes to value as a respected ally and eventually fall in love with. Basically the love story would be the reverse of Thor, where Lady Sif was obviously his perfect match but the movie followed the comics Thor/Jane Foster shipping :huhldup:. Or you can cast her as a Wakandan scientist who invents a lot of Black Panther's high tech gear and weapons. Whichever they go with, she HAS to play a crucial role within Wakansa and T'Challa's life OUTSIDE of the love interest

3). Cast a younger unknown African actress to
Play Shuri. If they signed Lupita as Shuri right away then fans would be expecting such a high profile actres yo immediately take center stage, which would come at the cost of further developing Chadwicke as T'Challa. If they cast an unknown that can GROW into role (as Shuri herself did in the Comics) then it would make sense within the larger narrative. Shuri probably shouldn't have the huge of a role until the second Panther film either way.

I think she can. We have already been introduced to T'Challa so that issue is a non-factor. Not to mention, this is still T'Challa's movie, so he'll be getting the vast majority of the shine anyway.

The Cap series was able to introduce Falcon and Winter Soldier and even have Black Widow and Nick Fury in the same movie, and things went great, while still being a Cap movie, through and through. No reason why the BP films can't do the same.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I think she can. We have already been introduced to T'Challa so that issue is a non-factor. Not to mention, this is still T'Challa's movie, so he'll be getting the vast majority of the shine anyway.

The Cap series was able to introduce Falcon and Winter Soldier and even have Black Widow and Nick Fury in the same movie, and thing went great, while still being a Cap movie, through and through. No reason why the BP films can't do the same.

It was Cap's 2nd solo movie tho. Only Nick Fury appeared in the first movie as a cameo.....and Bucky pre-WW.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
My problem with casting Lupita as love interest is that I feel she to much mature to play that role, I feel she be cast as Black panther wiser adult instead of romance.

I feel Black Panther love interest has to be young and energetic in my opinion

Lupita feels like a older sister than a love interest for Black Panther

Lupita is younger than Chadwicke breh..

Most def, Ryan Coogler will do what it do...I just can't get hyped to Monica Lynne. I hope the movie changes my mind on that.

For this to work out she CANT be cast as Monica Lynne PERIOD. She'd have to be an alternative take on an existing Dora Milaje or a brand new Wakandan character.

The Cap series was able to introduce Falcon and Winter Soldier and even have Black Widow and Nick Fury in the same movie, and thing went great, while still being a Cap movie, through and through. No reason why the BP films can't do the same.

Even with Boseman already introduced you STILL need to introduce the nation of Wakanda, the central villian, establish Black Panther's power set and the Heart-Shaped herb, and possibly even Bast as a spiritual/mystic entity. Introducing Shuri is crucial, but giving her an entire arc worthy of her character whole T'Challa deals with whatever the crisis turns out to be, PLUS setting up T'Challa's arc within Infinity War (which has been confirmed by Fiege) might be a little more than can be reasonably handled. I'm not saying don't introduce Shuri, I'm saying that her role within the first film will more than likely be smaller than befitting a star like Lupita

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
It was Cap's 2nd solo movie tho. Only Nick Fury appeared in the first movie as a cameo.....and Bucky pre-WW.

The key here again, is that everyone know who's who T'Challa is already. They even know who his father is and what country he's from. Thus, there isn't much pressure to make a large intro this time around.

Also, it still doesn't prevent Shuri from having a good role in the film. They still introduced a lot of people in Cap's first film: Cap, Bucky, Peggy Carter, Red skull, Gabe Jones, Hydra, and so on.

So it def can be done. This is still going to be T'Challa's movie anyway, and he will be the lead, no question. However, there won't be the need for a major intro this time around, as most viewer have already seen him in Cap: Civil war.

Last edited: