Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Okay cool I understand. Ashley and Gugu don't look the part, but Megalyn does.

It's just hard to think of light skinned actresses who aren't biracial.

Lol, I see what you mean. The definition of "light skinned" changes depending on what part of the world you are in.

I have a cousin that in the US, no one would think he is light skinned. However, back my country of origin, he would def stick out. And both of my cousin's parents are from Africa and that specific country too.

So, now imagine an isolationist country like Wakanda who hasn't interacted much with the western world until very recently in their history. Would it make sense to have notable amounts of Doras, and wakandan women in general, looking like Gugu, for example (and I have no problems with Gugu as an actress)?

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
To further clarify, being of a lighter shade doesn't mean you can be casted as a Wakandan, IMHO.

Many people wanted Chiwetel Ejiofor to be castes as T'Challa. He was even one of my picks. If he was casted, I would have no problems with it.

Another example is S'Yan, T'Challa's uncle. Many people have fan casted Giancarlo Esposito (Gus from Breaking Bad) for the role. He's a good actor that looks the part so it would be all good.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Kinda goes into the whole how many shades of black will there be if interracial (or intercultural) breeding rarely occurs (because isolationist reasons lol). Someone like Obama or Steph Curry are considered black from an American societal standpoint and so their complexion is part of the different shades of black spectrum, even though technically they're both mixed.

So it makes sense if Wakadans are typically in the Michael B Jordan to Wesley Snipes complexion range (give or take) b/c there likely wouldn't have been many if any mixed babies in their history.

Though that's from an extreme stand point perhaps, as depending on how hard a stance 'isolationist' policies entail, they could easily have it where Wakandans who get their education abroad or do expatriate work start families with outsiders and can bring the family (or children) back home with them.

Both of Steph's parents are black :snoop:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Don't move the goalposts though. Both of his parents are black. That wasn't the quote.

What goal post has been moved?

@Primetime was just describing how the definition of blackness can change depending on the location.

And to address your quote specifically, Steph's mother would not be considered "black" in most countries in Africa (can't speak for all of them so I won't do that). She's African-American creole and Haitian.

She may be considered black in the u.s. or even other parts of the Western Hemisphere. Outside of that, she'll be considered mixed. Thus, so will Steph.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Both of Steph's parents are black :snoop:
Don't move the goalposts though. Both of his parents are black. That wasn't the quote.
lol @ this. No goal posts needed.

The American NBA basketball player was born to an African American father and a Caucasian but African America Croele mother just like Beyonce's mom. Creole could be of caucasian, french, african, spaniard, native america, mix ancestry.

The baby face sharpshooter is of mix race. His dad Wardell Stephen "Dell" Curry is a retired American professional basketball player and played in the NBA as well. All of the family siblings are into sports. His brother Seth plays college basketball and her sister is a college volleyball player. Stephen's mother, Sonya Curry is also a former volleyball player

Point is he'd be considered black in the US despite mixed parentage. Its not that serious nor an attack on him or 'mixed' blacks

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
What goal post has been moved?

@Primetime was just describing how the definition of blackness can change depending on the location.

And to address your quote specifically, Steph's mother would not be considered "black" in most countries in Africa (can't speak for all of them so I won't do that). She's African-American creole and Haitian.

She may be considered black in the u.s. or even other parts of the Western Hemisphere. Outside of that, she'll be considered mixed. Thus, so will Steph.
Exactly

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
My boy Snipes Like Wesley needs a role in this movie. He's the one that was trying to get the movie off the ground even before Blade. A little supporting role would not hurt in my opinion. He don't got much to do right about now, and Marvel should owe him something because back in 98 it was his name and star power that helped sell the first Blade.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
My boy Snipes Like Wesley needs a role in this movie. He's the one that was trying to get the movie off the ground even before Blade. A little supporting role would not hurt in my opinion. He don't got much to do right about now, and Marvel should owe him something because back in 98 it was his name and star power that helped sell the first Blade.
preach :lawd:

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
Uncle Syan :ohhh:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Can't believe we're getting into this colorism discussion for Wakanda. African descent is the only requirement, or should be. That being said though, I'd like to see some darker sisters represented. Especially for Shuri.

Love these sistas especially:

Teyonah Parris (although maybe she's a bit old)

Karidja Toure

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@Realdealholy

We need a way to plug Ryan Coogler on this, Looks like he's not on Twitter, but I did find Snipes on there.

Most def:salute:

Ryan Coogler isn't on social media at all (good move). But I hope Snipes is involved somehow, someway, even with the S'yan role. It would be great for him to land a good gig on the film after all the work he put in to originally make it happen.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Can't believe we're getting into this colorism discussion for Wakanda. African descent is the only requirement, or should be. That being said though, I'd like to see some darker sisters represented. Especially for Shuri.

Love these sistas especially:

Teyonah Parris (although maybe she's a bit old)

Karidja Toure

Teyana is my #1 choice for Monica Lynne (Or Monica Rambeau if they end up going route:myman:)

Wasn't trying to turn this into a colorism debate. My main point in all this is that we have to remember the following about Wakanda:

-It is located in Africa

-It is an isolationist nation.

Therefore, though most of us reside in a western country, we must remember to re calibrate our definitions and perspectives as a result. The debate we just had is a small example of such.

It's may be a small detail in the grand scheme of things and I doubt it will be a deciding factor on how great the movie will be, but as they say, the fire is in the details.