49ers..Braves..Celtics
jgpvxeeplfwk6p3yymzc.gif

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
We Need to Start Barking at White People Who Speak Out of Turn
Black Panther’s Wakanda is a near-utopic vision of how a country could look; perhaps the best depiction of Afrofuturism ever captured on film. There were thriving and ideologically diverse cities surrounded by expansive and bucolic countrysides. There was modern technology perfectly weaved into cultural tradition, a melding that was symbiotic instead of antagonistic. And while I didn’t see this happening during the movie, I’m sure Wakanda has amazing bottomless brunches.

dfac2ewrhrobg8q96s4i.jpg

Unfortunately, a present-day attempt to re-create Wakanda would be unrealistic. Mainly because we’re roughly 20,000 years behind Wakandan tech. And mostly because we’re too infected with colonization and its myriad residues and peripheral effects. Also, we’re a little short on vibranium.

One thing, however, that we can and definitely should start doing is what M’Baku and his Que Dog Jabari tribe did when encountering a problematic white dude who was speaking when there was no ask or need or purpose for the thoughts and opinions of problematic white dudes.

Bark.

Not a purposeless bark. This isn’t a shih tzu barking through the window at a squirrel. Instead, this would be an intentional bark. A targeted bark. An overpowering bark. A drowning bark. A Wakandan bark. A bark meant to communicate, “Um, who told you that you can speak? When it is time for your words, we will let you know. And maybe that time will never come. We’ll see. Now, just shut up and stand there. Maybe get on your phone and Google ‘How not to be a colonizer.’ Whatever you do, I want to hear you not speaking.”

The bark doesn’t just have to be a counter for useless words, either. A wayward white hand reaches for your hair? WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! A group of white people huddled on a sidewalk refuse to step aside when you attempt to walk past them? WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! A purse is clutched when you walk on an elevator? WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! (If they’re going to act scared, you might as well give them a reason to be.)

Of course, this barking will take some practice. They can’t be small-dog barks, so people with higher and/or softer voices will probably have to do some training. Which is why, today, I’m announcing the opening of the M’Baku School of Wakandan White Silencing. The classes will be free, so no worries about me using GoFundMe monies for Bigen and creatine.

(Sidenote: Also, the bark was actually an ape grunt. But it sounded like a bark and his mama named it a bark, so we gonna call it a bark.)
https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.co...king-at-white-people-who-speak-out-1823131315

That pic NEEDS definite smiley treatment.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Your crazy on both of those fronts. The dialogue was mostly good to great and the score was superb all throughout. Maybe you went to some wack, no bass punch ass clown theater or something and couldn't hear correctly. The score and soundtrack was boss on IMAX speakers.

Wasn't IMAX. Was an AMC theater in the biggest mall in NJ, though.

And his dialogue WAS great. His deliverance wasn't. Just good enough.

Somebody mentioned the lack of power/depth in MBJ's voice. That might be why. :ehh:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I hope the mcu arent going to have boseman's eyes showing through the mask moving forward. Whose idea was that? He looks goofy af

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie was flames. Black excellence :salute:

I thought it was interesting how they touched on black issues. I'm sure everyone's already discussed this to death, but Killmonger had a point that Wakanda should have been using its resources to fight for the freedom of oppressed black people worldwide. Killmonger's methods though... :whoa:

In the end, it was dope that T'Challa found a way to represent peacefully by buying the block and building up the community. It's such a breath of fresh air to be able to watch a black movie about kings and queens standing for something better, as opposed to watching the 12384938538th slave movie they've released since forever.

Daps
Just watched the film in front of a predominantly African audience, in an African city.

[disclaimer: I am not under the impression that this is some revolutionary film, however it is definitely layered and more sophisticated than the average superhero movie. If you haven't watched the movie, then this post is definitely not for you.]

Firstly, the theater that I went to was packed out back to back. Even the IMAX tickets were sold out. It tells me that this movie is going to do some serious numbers internationally. :whoo:

Things I liked about the movie:

The allegory of Africa's hidden potential: On the surface, to the average man, Wakanda is merely a 3rd World country comprised mainly of farmers, but this belies the fact that it has the world's largest deposit of one of the most valuable mineral resources. It is Wakandan's who mine, harness and utilize said resource to advance their country and their people - away from external influence. Similarly, if African's got into more processing and manufacturing rather than simply extracting resources and selling them to the Western world and Asia, African economies would leap forward rapidly. Africa has the largest deposits of mineral resources anywhere in the world, but they are grossly mismanaged and still under the influence of foreign powers.

The allegory of a benevolent leader and unstable African governments: A prosperous and peaceful Wakanda is one where the people follow a single benevolent leader. Once there was a power vacuum after T'Chaka died, there was a challenge from M'Baku, and this momentarily destabilized Wakanda. This was exacerbated when Killmonger came into power, and there then became people who followed the new ruler, and loyalists to T'Challa. When T'Challa finally usurped the position again, calm was restored. All of the Wakandans came back to respecting the rule of law. There are many examples of African countries that have gone through turmoil simply because the opposition wanted to take power by force, or the ruling party were simply corrupt or governing poorly.

The dichotomy of Africans on the continent and the black diaspora: I think this was generally the overall theme of the movie, and it came to a head I believe in Killmonger's final scene. There is a distrust of Africans (black people) of each other and this stems mainly from misunderstanding one another. Killmonger sought vengeance over T'Challa for the death of his father after he was killed (an allegory of Africans selling the descendants of African-Americans into slavery thereby creating a disconnect). Even Killmonger's father in the vision said that the Wakandan's would never accept him. From his point of view, the damage had already been done. Wakandans (or Africans in this case) view him as an outsider, meanwhile he sees the Wakandans as people that turned their back on the black diaspora (despite their vast wealth and resources). He feels as though they are not pulling their necessary weight in order to uplift the black population worldwide. It's actually quite deep when you begin to deconstruct it. :patrice:

The right balance of action, comedy and drama - A lot Marvel cash cows tend to be heavy on the comedy. The last Thor was basically a super-hero comedy movie. This however took a more serious turn, using a lot of social commentary, but still throwing in the comedy here and there while giving you a lot of action in the third Act. It's a movie that leaves you thinking, rather than a movie you forget as soon as you step out of the cinema.

I think they did a good job of capturing a lot nuanced things that you can only appreciate if you're African or interact with Africans - mostly in the dialogue. There are subtle gestures, remarks or even intonations that are so African that you can't help but laugh. When M'Banku ended a remark with "-o", which is in many respects a Nigerianism (if you've ever watched a Nollywood movie), the whole audience erupted. Even the boorish boer (white South African) was spot on. I think there was a general appreciation of the movie, and not many people left the cinema feeling like they were simply pandering to Africans. I think having largely an African and Afro-Caribbean cast helped in that.

Things I found interesting:

Wakanda was devoid of religiosity, instead there was a respect for tradition and ancestral lineage. As a Christian myself, I found it interesting to see an African nation devoid of the Abrahamic religions, but instead rely on traditions passed down from generation to generation. It was part of their pride. In African countries a lot of our traditions are being replaced by Westernism.

Things I didn't like about the movie:

Not much here. I think it's probably the best Marvel movie to date. I think they oversold the Oakland in Killmonger though. The character was great, but they could have toned down that aspect of him, although that has to do with Ryan Coogler more than anything.

This is a beautiful review breh :wow:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
that is untrue. It is easily clear why he is angry.

What is happening is a lot of black people are exposing their support for imperialism and colonizing of places so long as its black people doing it.

My issue will never be him wanting to take down oppressors. My issue is that he was willing to kill Africans and the people being oppressed to achieve those aims. And the aims wasnt liberation, but instead a Wakanda global empire.

If he supported real liberation that was inclusive and allowed people to be sovereign and do what's best for their people, then I wouldn't have a problem with him and would support that viewpoint.

Killmonger didn't want that. He wanted everyone to kneel to him.

Its bewildering how many of you all really do fukk with oppression.

There's nothing in the movie displaying what you are saying

Killmonger wanted blacks to rule the world

Funny thing about you bytch ass c00ns

you have a problem with killmonger, but in the real world, white people are worst have done way worst, and are the real imperialist

yet you have no anger towards them lol

if killmonger is has a bad as your say WHAT DOES THAT MAKE THESE CRACKERS lol

Speeches ain't gonna change shyt, holding hands ain't gonna change shyt

you wanna be top dawg you gonna have to drop them thangs

SirBiatch

Prince of Persia. Stalked for daps
Daps
Saw it yesterday.

Movie was good, however there were many occasions that could've catapulted it to epic. Either the dialogue lacked punch or the score was middling.

MBJ really had the opportunity to etch himself in CBM history as an amazing villain. If I'm an actor, I'm salivating over playing a character like Killmonger over any other character in the movie. His moods and motives covered the entire gamut. Beautiful complexity...at least on paper. I didn't appreciate his approach to the role. It wasn't bad. It was just...ok? Idk why they went with the cocky/swagged/talk-out-side-of-mouth approach when he's supposed to be some elite military special operatives soldier, mentally equipped to overtake governments. Also felt like he lacked the chops to knock his dialogue out the park. His throne(?) room, warrior pit, and "vision" scene (as he's obtain BP powers) should have been home runs.

Should've studied Terrence Stamp's and Michael Shannon's approach to General Zod. Classic performances to a character whos archetype is very similar to Killmonger.

100% accurate. MBJ was just miscast mixed with bad direction. BP in general has a lot of other flaws that prevented it from being great.

I'm all for us celebrating BP's existence but once the thinkpieces/product tie-ins and all are done, let's all put pressure on Hollywood in our own little ways to ensure more big budget Black scifi/etc movies are made. Because we can do much better than BP. At least it

Shannon's approach to Zod is probably my favorite comic book villain in a long time.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
100% accurate. MBJ was just miscast mixed with bad direction. BP in general has a lot of other flaws that prevented it from being great.

I'm all for us celebrating BP's existence but once the thinkpieces/product tie-ins and all are done, let's all put pressure on Hollywood in our own little ways to ensure more big budget Black scifi/etc movies are made. Because we can do much better than BP. At least it

Shannon's approach to Zod is probably my favorite comic book villain in a long time.
I am Man of Steel's biggest defender here. It's biggest stan.
I've posted things that are damn near essays here.
I loved Zod. I straight up told these other MCU guys that Zod as a villain >>>>>>>> Anything MCU had done up to that point.

I don't see how you can say MBJ was bad and praise Zod (who was also my favorite).
They were both fantastic.

The only flaw BP had was the CGI at the last fight.
Casting and acting in this film was the best in any superhero film. Even the supporting cast had a "Je Ne Sais Quoi".