The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
The legendary Dahomey Amazons are the real-life all-women's army in Black Panther - Face2Face Africa
The legendary Dahomey Amazons are the real-life all-women’s army in Black Panther
dahomey-women-warriors-858x625.jpg

• Dora Milaje is history brought to life

In the 1800s, there was an all-female army in modern-day Benin that pledged a similar loyalty to the throne. They were known as the Dahomey Warriors and were praised for their bravery and strength by local leaders and European colonizers alike who encountered them. Their role in preserving the mighty Dahomey kingdom cannot be overstated.

The growing conversation about the Dora Milaje, therefore, presents a perfect opportunity to learn about the Dahomey women.

The Dahomey Warriors

The Dahomey Warriors were traditionally called the N’Nonmiton, which means “our mothers” in Fon, the language of the Fon people of Dahomey, now in present-day Benin. Some European historians and observers called them the Dahomey Amazons as they reminded them of the mystical and powerful all women’s army called Amazons in Greek mythology.

According to a beautiful comic by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization, the Dahomey Warriors first appeared as part of the entourage of the King of Dahomey’s bodyguard in the seventeenth century. They were to ensure his personal protection and guard the royal palace. Soon, the women’s number and prominence grew – from a troop of 800 to 6000. They would later go to fight in battles against other kingdoms as Dahomey began to expand, lost their male soldiers in war, and were threatened and attacked by the French.

The Dahomey Warriors were known to be especially skillful, competitive, and brave. Their drills and military parades were always performed to dancing, music, and songs and their weapons were sometimes used as choreographic props. As expressed in their songs, their goal was to outshine men in every respect, and European travelers observed that they were better organized, swifter and much braver than male soldiers. As such, the King would send them to war as opposed to their male counterparts and European soldiers would also hesitate to kill them as they were often young women.

The women also enjoyed privileged relations with the king, swearing to celibacy and living in the royal palace, which only the king and his entourage had access to. As a testament to their power, women servants rang little bells to warn the people of the women soldiers’ presence and inhabitants were required to move aside, bow and avert their eyes.

The Dahomey women’s army only became defunct when the Dahomey kingdom fell at the end of the 19th century. According to UNESCO, after two months of fighting and previously broken accords between the French and Dahomey, the king of Dahomey took flight and set fire to most of the royal palaces, marking an end of the Kingdom of Dahomey and its army of women in 1892.

The Dahomey king was later arrested, deported to Martinique, then Algeria where he died. Dahomey then became a French possession between German Togo and British Nigeria, until Benin declared independence in 1960.

The Dahomey women are truly a testament to the real-life story of the African women depicted in Black Panther. Their importance as strategic allies in the safety and vitality of the nation cannot be overstated.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan

The Jabari has spoken. :birdman:

We Need to Start Barking at White People Who Speak Out of Turn
Black Panther’s Wakanda is a near-utopic vision of how a country could look; perhaps the best depiction of Afrofuturism ever captured on film. There were thriving and ideologically diverse cities surrounded by expansive and bucolic countrysides. There was modern technology perfectly weaved into cultural tradition, a melding that was symbiotic instead of antagonistic. And while I didn’t see this happening during the movie, I’m sure Wakanda has amazing bottomless brunches.

dfac2ewrhrobg8q96s4i.jpg

Unfortunately, a present-day attempt to re-create Wakanda would be unrealistic. Mainly because we’re roughly 20,000 years behind Wakandan tech. And mostly because we’re too infected with colonization and its myriad residues and peripheral effects. Also, we’re a little short on vibranium.

One thing, however, that we can and definitely should start doing is what M’Baku and his Que Dog Jabari tribe did when encountering a problematic white dude who was speaking when there was no ask or need or purpose for the thoughts and opinions of problematic white dudes.

Bark.

Not a purposeless bark. This isn’t a shih tzu barking through the window at a squirrel. Instead, this would be an intentional bark. A targeted bark. An overpowering bark. A drowning bark. A Wakandan bark. A bark meant to communicate, “Um, who told you that you can speak? When it is time for your words, we will let you know. And maybe that time will never come. We’ll see. Now, just shut up and stand there. Maybe get on your phone and Google ‘How not to be a colonizer.’ Whatever you do, I want to hear you not speaking.”

The bark doesn’t just have to be a counter for useless words, either. A wayward white hand reaches for your hair? WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! A group of white people huddled on a sidewalk refuse to step aside when you attempt to walk past them? WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! A purse is clutched when you walk on an elevator? WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! (If they’re going to act scared, you might as well give them a reason to be.)

Of course, this barking will take some practice. They can’t be small-dog barks, so people with higher and/or softer voices will probably have to do some training. Which is why, today, I’m announcing the opening of the M’Baku School of Wakandan White Silencing. The classes will be free, so no worries about me using GoFundMe monies for Bigen and creatine.

(Sidenote: Also, the bark was actually an ape grunt. But it sounded like a bark and his mama named it a bark, so we gonna call it a bark.)
https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.co...king-at-white-people-who-speak-out-1823131315

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Also, and I know this is blasphemy in this place, but God forbid they like what they like. They're just as entitled to their opinion as anyone else. If they fukk with Wonder Woman more, they fukk with Wonder Woman more:manny:
The comic book marketplace, like the world is big enough for everyone.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Saw it yesterday.

Movie was good, however there were many occasions that could've catapulted it to epic. Either the dialogue lacked punch or the score was middling.

MBJ really had the opportunity to etch himself in CBM history as an amazing villain. If I'm an actor, I'm salivating over playing a character like Killmonger over any other character in the movie. His moods and motives covered the entire gamut. Beautiful complexity...at least on paper. I didn't appreciate his approach to the role. It wasn't bad. It was just...ok? Idk why they went with the cocky/swagged/talk-out-side-of-mouth approach when he's supposed to be some elite military special operatives soldier, mentally equipped to overtake governments. Also felt like he lacked the chops to knock his dialogue out the park. His throne(?) room, warrior pit, and "vision" scene (as he's obtain BP powers) should have been home runs.

Should've studied Terrence Stamp's and Michael Shannon's approach to General Zod. Classic performances to a character whos archetype is very similar to Killmonger.

Your crazy on both of those fronts. The dialogue was mostly good to great and the score was superb all throughout. Maybe you went to some wack, no bass punch ass clown theater or something and couldn't hear correctly. The score and soundtrack was boss on IMAX speakers.