Reppin
The Last Frontier
tumblr_p474zvFQfp1t7b5qro1_1280.jpg

Doaly (@Doaly) on Twitter
That's beautiful.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
this isn't my favorite MCU movie, not gonna pretend it is, but i think another viewing will get it in my top 5.

I walked out thinking "ahh, so that's why i watched that dogshyt Walking Dead so long, it was Okoye's origin story." that is the only good takeaway from that show, it got her this role.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
People are being so intellectually disingenuous with Killmonger. “oh he’s an oppressor bla bla bla” completely ignoring that Killmonger is a reaction and byproduct of white imperialism , colonization and oppression of black people for centuries. Killmonger is a consequence. and that is why people are sympathetic to him to an extent and find his anger relatable and understandable.

The amount of posts berating Killmonger without contextualizing his existence is annoying, more so when they come from black people.
"but he a villain breh :mjcry:"

"he yoked up an old lady! :damn:"

It's far deeper than that.

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
Saw it last night. Good movie. As a stand alone film I don't think it's a classic but given what it means to us black folks and the environment that the movie came out in, it'll have one of the biggest impacts any movie has ever had.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
People are being so intellectually disingenuous with Killmonger. “oh he’s an oppressor bla bla bla” completely ignoring that Killmonger is a reaction and byproduct of white imperialism , colonization and oppression of black people for centuries. Killmonger is a consequence. and that is why people are sympathetic to him to an extent and find his anger relatable and understandable.

The amount of posts berating Killmonger without contextualizing his existence is annoying, more so when they come from black people.
that is untrue. It is easily clear why he is angry.

What is happening is a lot of black people are exposing their support for imperialism and colonizing of places so long as its black people doing it.

My issue will never be him wanting to take down oppressors. My issue is that he was willing to kill Africans and the people being oppressed to achieve those aims. And the aims wasnt liberation, but instead a Wakanda global empire.

If he supported real liberation that was inclusive and allowed people to be sovereign and do what's best for their people, then I wouldn't have a problem with him and would support that viewpoint.

Killmonger didn't want that. He wanted everyone to kneel to him.

Its bewildering how many of you all really do fukk with oppression.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What is happening is a lot of black people are exposing their support for imperialism and colonizing of places so long as its black people doing it.

My issue will never be him wanting to take down oppressors. My issue is that he was willing to kill Africans and the people being oppressed to achieve those aims. And the aims wasnt liberation, but instead a Wakanda global empire.

If he supported real liberation that was inclusive and allowed people to be sovereign and do what's best for their people, then I wouldn't have a problem with him and would support that viewpoint.

Folks are so wrapped up in Killmonger's rhetoric they just turn a blind eye to it. (Black ops training/timing to destabilize nations, lack of empathy towards life (the vision with his father), reacting against colonialism with establishing his own form of colonialism "wakandan empire"). I also think Coolger/Cole were really subtle with it as well in some aspects.

I really need to watch this again.:francis:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

"but he a villain breh :mjcry:"

"he yoked up an old lady! :damn:"

It's far deeper than that.

I don't think it has to be an either/or argument. You can agree with the sentiment and goals of Killmonger, but be skeptical about his plan. I honestly don't think it would have worked. Most people just don't have the heart to kill like that. I know he wishes everyone would go Nat Turner on their boss and neighbor, but most people are not Nat Turner and would probably sooner snitch on those who did use their weapons for what Killmonger intended.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
scratch that, they never actually left Wakanda :dead:

I need to watch again :mjgrin:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps

"You're the real oppressors!"

:jbhmm:

"You're the real rac-" Nah, lemme chill before I get folks dander up again :lolbron: