Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm still iffy on MBJ as Killmonger

His character was so metaphorically profound/brilliant, it's blinding us from his average performance.

I know they already casted him as Mordo in Doctor Strange, but just imagine somebody like Chiwetel Ejiofor as Killmonger?

MBJ as Killmonger was a good buffer for Disney, tho.He's one of them wholesome, friendly face type dudes

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I'm still iffy on MBJ as Killmonger

His character was so metaphorically profound/brilliant, it's blinding us from his average performance.

I know they already casted him as Mordo in Doctor Strange, but just imagine somebody like Chiwetel Ejiofor as Killmonger?

MBJ as Killmonger was a good buffer for Disney, tho.He's one of them wholesome, friendly face type dudes
How many times have you seen it?

Cause I kinda saw what you were saying the first time. However, the 2nd and 3rd time I saw it you can pick up more nuance to his performance.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many times have you seen it?

Cause I kinda saw what you were saying the first time. However, the 2nd and 3rd time I saw it you can pick up more nuance to his performance.
I've seen it twice.Thought he was :patrice:the 1st time around.

2nd time I was :ehh:"Decent, but could've been much better"

In many ways, I just let it go.The symbolism behind the character wins out.

I'm just saying, if they could mix that character representation with the right actor,

it would've been even more:wow: worthy

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Folks are so wrapped up in Killmonger's rhetoric they just turn a blind eye to it. (Black ops training/timing to destabilize nations, lack of empathy towards life (the vision with his father), reacting against colonialism with establishing his own form of colonialism "wakandan empire"). I also think Coolger/Cole were really subtle with it as well in some aspects.

I really need to watch this again.:francis:
“I want the sun to never set on the Wakandan empire” was an example of this.

Coogler wanted to show the conflict and how dangerous it is.

Also, 100% seeing it again this weekend in a real IMAX theater

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Fantastic movies but I had a couple small gripes

First:I kind of wish they didn't go the psychopath route with Killmonger. His objective was enough to put him at odds with Panther adding the psycho Ima kill my own bytch without blinking kind of thing was a bit unnecessary

Second: it was obvious that some Marvel exec came down and was like "Hmmm Im gonna need you to change white people to umn COLONIZER" shyt was kind of weird how they refused to say white people when they really wanted to say white people.

Third: Loved the whole Africa/African American sort of theme they were going for...felt they could of delved deeper into it instead of kind of wasting time with Klaw. He felt kind of bleh to me and more of a slapstick character.
Colonizer is a much more effective and cutting line than white people, imo.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“I want the sun to never set on the Wakandan empire” was an example of this.

Coogler wanted to show the conflict and how dangerous it is.

Also, 100% seeing it again this weekend in a real IMAX theater

I would def check it out in IMAX if you can. Some of the 3rd act CGI is spotty, but the most of the movie makes up for it.

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Saw it yesterday.

Movie was good, however there were many occasions that could've catapulted it to epic. Either the dialogue lacked punch or the score was middling.

MBJ really had the opportunity to etch himself in CBM history as an amazing villain. If I'm an actor, I'm salivating over playing a character like Killmonger over any other character in the movie. His moods and motives covered the entire gamut. Beautiful complexity...at least on paper. I didn't appreciate his approach to the role. It wasn't bad. It was just...ok? Idk why they went with the cocky/swagged/talk-out-side-of-mouth approach when he's supposed to be some elite military special operatives soldier, mentally equipped to overtake governments. Also felt like he lacked the chops to knock his dialogue out the park. His throne(?) room, warrior pit, and "vision" scene (as he's obtain BP powers) should have been home runs.

Should've studied Terrence Stamp's and Michael Shannon's approach to General Zod. Classic performances to a character whos archetype is very similar to Killmonger.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
DWWfBmsV4AEXviT.jpg
DWZG8flUMAAj3Wh.jpg

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Winston Duke Cried Over Black Panther Role It Meant So Much To Him

"We saw the first Avengers movie together and had wondered if we’d ever get to a be in a movie like that — such a big budget, crazy vehicle with special effects and tons of funny, cool people that you admire,” Duke recalls. “And we were just like ‘Yeah, I don’t know if that’s ever going to happen.’ And then for this to be my first movie, her first Marvel film, we were like ‘Can you believe that happened? Do you remember Avengers in New Haven, Connecticut?"​

Awwww.