All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
27580891_404831926627017_1216817209083428864_n.jpg
I'm going to need some rule 34 of this :shaq:

Last edited:
Daps
So Im ready to write my review. Brehs, when I tell you this, please believe that it's the honest truth. I'm not an emotional type of guy. But this movie had me completely in my feels.

It had me in my feels so much, that it took me a full 2 days to process what I watched (saw it Sat at 10 PM).

Like a lot of ppl, I didn't watch any spoilers. I went completely dark on everything Panther-related, cause I didn't wanna get spoiled. I saw one preview and then I was good on that. So I had no idea what was going on.

only issue was, I was seeing it Sat and a lot of ppl went to see it on Thurs, and most ppl were respectful but one of my FB friends put up a status talking about "we all want to be a t'challa but in reality, we're Eric Killmongers"

So that had me like :ohhh:

cause I'm trying to figure out, :dahell: :mindblown::mindblown: what does that mean???

and then I saw the thread on thecoli where brehs was comparing MJB's performance to Heath Ledger's joker and that had me even more :mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

so I was completely confused. I expected this to be a straightforward Marvel superhero movie, maybe touch on a few real life issues but mainly stay centered in the Marvel Universe like all the other movies

I

was

not

expecting

what

I

saw.

Talked to this chic I know late Friday night and she was telling me how great the movie was, and she told me it was the BEST MOVIE SHE HAD EVER SEEN IN HER LIFE.

I was like :dahell: do you know what you're saying??

she told me, "yes, I know EXACTLY what I'm saying"

I told her, no, I don't think you know what you're saying. You're not saying it's the best superhero movie. You're not saying it's the best Marvel movie. You're saying it's the BEST MOVIE YOU'VE EVER SEEN

she tld me again, "I know exactly what I'm saying"

really had me on some :damn::damn::damn: I promise you, brehs, it was like midnight Friday night when she and I had this conversation and she had a breh so pumped up, I wanted to go to the movies RIGHT THEN. I felt like I couldn't wait until Saturday night

so Sat night rolls around, me and my bro had pre-purchased our tickets 4 weeks ago. So we're basically just out and about waiting until 10 PM rolls around and at 9, I'm like, breh, let's go to the movies

he tells me it's too early.

I tell him, I don't care. I want to go there and be with my people. So we make it to the theater between 9:20 and 9:30

Brehs are probably wondering why Im giving all this backstory but just chill and let me bask in this black excellence moment - PLEASE. Let me be great

So me and my bro roll up and we walk to the ticket counter outside, chic behind the counter gives me a warm smile and is like, "you can go on in"

didn't ask to see our tickets or nothing, so that had me :leon:

I go in, and they have a screen up letting folks know that they're seating for the movie. brehs, Ive never seen that before. Ive never seen in this theater, where they have a screen up 40 minutes befre the movie starts, letting you know when theyr'e seating for the movie.

It's like they knew it was a crowd coming and they had planned this whole thing out, to get folks seated and comfortable as soon as possible. I felt like royalty :wow:

so anybody that follows my posts know that I kept saying I was gonna roll up like

safe_image.php

well I couldn't find a kente scarf on such short notice, so me and bro just decided to suit up in all black

brehs, ya boy was sharp from head to toe :wow:

here's my pic, gonna cut my face out tho

bU3njEh.png

I was feeling myself this day :wow::wow::wow:

so finally bro and I decided to go in and sit down. A brotha that was working there showed us where our seat was and we sat down, chillin, watching as the ppl started filtering in.

bro was on my right, but a cac couple came and sat down on my left. I was :hhh: at first and kinda disappointed, not cause I don't want white ppl to see the movie.

I WANT THEM TO SEE THIS MOVIE. i want this movie to be the most successful marvel movie EVER.

I just didn't want them to sit next to me. But what are you gonna do? :yeshrug: figured it would be a good study to see how they react to the #blackexcellence

so you know ya boi gonna do the movies, he gonna do the movie right. Saw this in IMAX 3D.

out of respect for everyone, I'm going to spoiler everything after this.

I almost missed the first part of the movie cause they were playing commercial after commercial and I started playing around on FB and IG on my phone, Looked back up and the movie was on, came on quiet, like a CAT :ohhh:

felt like how I felt when I saw Lion King for the 1st time as a little boy. Lion King was about animals, true..... but it was set in Africa and they brought over a lot of cultural significance to that movie

Panther started like that. I loved the Black Panther (T'Chaka) showing up in Oakland, seemed like a throwback to the Priest run where BP is just chillin in the city, fighting crime.

Please forgive me if I get any of the comic story wrong, cause I just started reading it last month and I haven't gotten too far. I'm sad to say that when I was growing up, Black Panther just wasn't popular where I was. For me and my friends, it was all about X-men and Spiderman cause they had the two animated series on TV.

I had heard of BP but I didn't know anything about him until I started reading the threads on the coli. Really taught me a lot about the character, preciate that brehs :salute:

So when they showed him and his brother, I'm thinking he took his brother home and made him face justice. Had no idea he had to kill him :wow:

Keep in mind, I knew nothing about this movie. Not a thing. One thing that had me cracking up was when BP went to go get Lupita and the part where the african goonbrehs shine their lights up in the tree after they see the dog barking, all I could think about was the coli meme that says "MARVEL GANG" :russ:

when Lupita came up out them robes tho. :wow: This was my first Lupita movie, and brehs, I want her

But anyway, when they first flew into Wakanda and Tchalla is like, "I never get tired of seeing this"

:whoo: brehs, Coogler messed around and made Wakanda look more beautiful than Asgard. I was honestly amazed at how rich and vibrant the textures were, and how he incorporated so much from the African continent and fused it with the futurist looks.

I was so impressed by this. I think this was the first part where I started feeling something tugging at my heartstrings. :wow:

When his mom and sister come out there, and Danai is like, "he froze" :mjgrin:

Had the right amount of humor and seriousness and none of that over-the-top humor like the Guardians 2 or Ragnorak (which don't get me wrong, are 2 good movies. It's just that Panther is better :wow:)

When they drop him off at the waterfall to get crowned King. When the african women and LUPITA :wow: were dancing, I looked at the cac sitting next to me. I wanted to scream at him, "TURN AROUND! YOU DON'T DESERVE TO LOOK AT THIS!" :damn: but I kept my cool

When M'Baku came out to challenge T'Challa, I was like, :lupe: "but he just became king tho..... can he have a few min?"

I was afraid he wasn't gonna win - which speaks to how good the directors were at making you feel the high stakes. OBVIOUSLY this is a Black Panther movie and obviously he isnt gonna lose, but they really made you feel the gravity of the situation. When he was choking M'baku out at the edge of the cliff, I wanted to shout, "breh watch out, you're too close to the edge!!!! :damn:"

:wow:

But just everything.... I can keep on giving a play by play of the entire movie but I will skip ahead to the things that really stand out

When Killmonger was standing in the art gallery looking like a black hipster :mjlol: and then started ethering the white chic

#blackexcellence :ohlawd:

I still had no idea the emotional connection I would feel to his character cause again, I didn't watch any spoilers, but just that line again had me feeling like he was a real breh :myman:

as the movie progressed, I was just amazed at the world building. I will be honest, in Civil War, Panther was cool.... he was aight.... but he wasn't the breakout character in that movie

but here??? :whew: this was HIS movie, this was HIS world and we were just all living in it. I loved the setup to them going to Korea, the way they were able to take control of the cars with their ADVANCED TECH

the tech aspect in itself had me feeling some kinda way :to: cause I know how talented we as a people are. Imagine if we were able to get our young ppl to stop being so focused on materialism and rap and sex, and instead focus on SCIENCE??

We would run circles around the rest of the world. That had me really feeling some kinda way because this movie was like a social experiment, how would black ppl fare without the influence of white civilization? :mjcry: and it was beautiful

when Ross got shot, I almost wanted T'Challa to let him die. Why? Because that cac was already getting interested in what was really happening in Wakanda and would only try to come over there and steal the resources for America.

Sometimes I feel like thats one of our weaknesses. We truly are a beautiful and compassionate people and the reason white folks have tricked us in the past is due to our good nature, and our willingness to help them and save them even when they have ulterior dark motives

so with that being said, I was thinking :patrice: "yeah, we appreciate him taking that bullet for Lupita sexy ass, but oh well"

"he will be remembered" :troll:

but of course, that would go against the righteousness of T'Challa and I understood why they had to take him back, but I didn't like it :francis:

fastforwarding... When the truth about Killmonger came out and he came on the scene and YES, that was a POWERFUL scene when he kept saying, "ask me who I am!" :birdman:

and finally ole boy with the lip plate was like, "well who are you???" :damn:

and Killmonger started speaking his native language

I wanted to hit T'challa with that :ufdup: "you know you done f'd up right? shouldn't have even let him into the throne room"

when Killmonger challenged him, I'm like ":lupe: but he ain't never even been in the country before... how he get to issue a challenge and he just touched down like 2 min ago?"

when the fight happened, I was disappointed! still disappointed about that whole scene and the way it played out.

Killmonger beat the BRAKES off T'challa and I couldn't understand it. How T'Challa a warrior trained in the ancient customs and Killmonger been trained by the white man and he beat him so easy? I was waiting on some kinda reveal like, "Killmonger secretly munched on a few heart shaped herbs" or the soup that T'challa drunk to take away his BP powers got tampered with and it sapped his regular energy too

I didn't like that part. Killmonger beat him so easy. And yeah, he had a lot more fury and hatred and like he said, he trained his whole life for that one moment but still.... when he threw my boy T'challa off the cliff, I was :damn::damn::damn::damn: which again speaks to just how good Coogler was at evoking that emotion in these scenes

OBVIOUSLY BP survives, we see him in the Infinity War trailers, but brehs in that moment, sitting in the theater, I was :ooh: :picard::mjcry: cause I thought my guy was dead.

when Killmonger walked into the throne room and the camera was upside down :picard: and the trap music was playing :picard: and my dude was swagged out in the full length Wakandan peacoat :picard:

I hunched my brother and told him, "I don't know who I'm supposed to be rooting for!!!!!!!" :damn::damn::damn:

at this point, I was fully on Killmonger's side. When he told his story of his history and how Wakanda wasn't doing anything for black people across the diaspora :whew:, that SPOKE to me

I felt that in my heart :wow:

I mean, I like Chadwick and T'challa seems like a nice guy but..... :sadcam: we may need to let ya boi Killmonger in office and see what he can do in 4 years. Give him a chance! :salute:

He was not a bad character. He wasn't a bad guy. He was what most young black men have felt at some point in your life if you have ANY level of black consciousness and awareness.

and I couldn't be mad at that. how this got past Marvel studios, I need Coogler to come out one day and just give us the backstory of how he was able to convince a boardroom of entitled cacs to release this movie? cause this was epic

the social conversation, the racial component, the "colonizer" jab

"YOU DONT' SPEAK HERE!" :birdman::birdman::birdman:

aalllll of that, I will never understand how this made it past these Marvel and Disney execs :dahell:

this movie does not depict white ppl in a good light at ALL.

I give this a 10/10, I cn write all night, but I think brehs feel me at this point and half of y'all probably won't even read to this point. But this movie was greatness personified. I can't wait to go back and see it with my woman this weekend.

Like I said, I love the character of T'Challa, a humble breh ready to fight for his people, but I identified with Killmonger. Every scene he's in, the music, the swag, all of that

only thing I didn't like, and my brother pointed this out, was that Killmonger talked that talk about wanting to help and save black ppl, but he was killing black ppl left and right. Killed his girlfriend. Tried to kill T'challa. Killed Forest Whittaker. Choked up the old african woman. Killed Ayo.

So yeah, he wanted to help black ppl but he was too overcome with rage and hate and that made him a danger to his own people. If he had won, he would have ruled by fear

so he needed to be stopped. But if some of them bars he was dropping didn't sound like some prime Nas in 94 :whew::whew::whew:

so Im done with this review for tonight. I still haven't completely processed this movie, this work of art, this beautiful concept, so I will be back with more at a later time

thanks for reading brehs and if you didn't read, still thanks I guess? :manny:

CantStop

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So Im ready to write my review. Brehs, when I tell you this, please believe that it's the honest truth. I'm not an emotional type of guy. But this movie had me completely in my feels.

It had me in my feels so much, that it took me a full 2 days to process what I watched (saw it Sat at 10 PM).

Like a lot of ppl, I didn't watch any spoilers. I went completely dark on everything Panther-related, cause I didn't wanna get spoiled. I saw one preview and then I was good on that. So I had no idea what was going on.

only issue was, I was seeing it Sat and a lot of ppl went to see it on Thurs, and most ppl were respectful but one of my FB friends put up a status talking about "we all want to be a t'challa but in reality, we're Eric Killmongers"

cause I'm trying to figure out, :dahell: :mindblown::mindblown: what does that mean???

and then I saw the thread on thecoli where brehs was comparing MJB's performance to Heath Ledger's joker and that had me even more :mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

so I was completely confused. I expected this to be a straightforward Marvel superhero movie, maybe touch on a few real life issues but mainly stay centered in the Marvel Universe like all the other movies

I

was

not

expecting

what

I

saw.

Talked to this chic I know late Friday night and she was telling me how great the movie was, and she told me it was the BEST MOVIE SHE HAD EVER SEEN IN HER LIFE.

I told her, no, I don't think you know what you're saying. You're not saying it's the best superhero movie. You're not saying it's the best Marvel movie. You're saying it's the BEST MOVIE YOU'VE EVER SEEN

really had me on some :damn::damn::damn: I promise you, brehs, it was like midnight Friday night when she and I had this conversation and she had a breh so pumped up, I wanted to go to the movies RIGHT THEN. I felt like I couldn't wait until Saturday night

so Sat night rolls around, me and my bro had pre-purchased our tickets 4 weeks ago. So we're basically just out and about waiting until 10 PM rolls around and at 9, I'm like, breh, let's go to the movies

I tell him, I don't care. I want to go there and be with my people. So we make it to the theater between 9:20 and 9:30

Brehs are probably wondering why Im giving all this backstory but just chill and let me bask in this black excellence moment - PLEASE. Let me be great

So me and my bro roll up and we walk to the ticket counter outside, chic behind the counter gives me a warm smile and is like, "you can go on in"

I go in, and they have a screen up letting folks know that they're seating for the movie. brehs, Ive never seen that before. Ive never seen in this theater, where they have a screen up 40 minutes befre the movie starts, letting you know when theyr'e seating for the movie.

It's like they knew it was a crowd coming and they had planned this whole thing out, to get folks seated and comfortable as soon as possible. I felt like royalty :wow:

so anybody that follows my posts know that I kept saying I was gonna roll up like

safe_image.php

well I couldn't find a kente scarf on such short notice, so me and bro just decided to suit up in all black

bU3njEh.png

so finally bro and I decided to go in and sit down. A brotha that was working there showed us where our seat was and we sat down, chillin, watching as the ppl started filtering in.

bro was on my right, but a cac couple came and sat down on my left. I was :hhh: at first and kinda disappointed, not cause I don't want white ppl to see the movie.

I WANT THEM TO SEE THIS MOVIE. i want this movie to be the most successful marvel movie EVER.

I just didn't want them to sit next to me. But what are you gonna do? :yeshrug: figured it would be a good study to see how they react to the #blackexcellence

so you know ya boi gonna do the movies, he gonna do the movie right. Saw this in IMAX 3D.

I almost missed the first part of the movie cause they were playing commercial after commercial and I started playing around on FB and IG on my phone, Looked back up and the movie was on, came on quiet, like a CAT :ohhh:

felt like how I felt when I saw Lion King for the 1st time as a little boy. Lion King was about animals, true..... but it was set in Africa and they brought over a lot of cultural significance to that movie

Panther started like that. I loved the Black Panther (T'Chaka) showing up in Oakland, seemed like a throwback to the Priest run where BP is just chillin in the city, fighting crime.

Please forgive me if I get any of the comic story wrong, cause I just started reading it last month and I haven't gotten too far. I'm sad to say that when I was growing up, Black Panther just wasn't popular where I was. For me and my friends, it was all about X-men and Spiderman cause they had the two animated series on TV.

I had heard of BP but I didn't know anything about him until I started reading the threads on the coli. Really taught me a lot about the character, preciate that brehs :salute:

So when they showed him and his brother, I'm thinking he took his brother home and made him face justice. Had no idea he had to kill him :wow:

Keep in mind, I knew nothing about this movie. Not a thing. One thing that had me cracking up was when BP went to go get Lupita and the part where the african goonbrehs shine their lights up in the tree after they see the dog barking, all I could think about was the coli meme that says "MARVEL GANG" :russ:

when Lupita came up out them robes tho. :wow: This was my first Lupita movie, and brehs, I want her

But anyway, when they first flew into Wakanda and Tchalla is like, "I never get tired of seeing this"

:whoo: brehs, Coogler messed around and made Wakanda look more beautiful than Asgard. I was honestly amazed at how rich and vibrant the textures were, and how he incorporated so much from the African continent and fused it with the futurist looks.

I was so impressed by this. I think this was the first part where I started feeling something tugging at my heartstrings. :wow:

Had the right amount of humor and seriousness and none of that over-the-top humor like the Guardians 2 or Ragnorak (which don't get me wrong, are 2 good movies. It's just that Panther is better :wow:)

When they drop him off at the waterfall to get crowned King. When the african women and LUPITA :wow: were dancing, I looked at the cac sitting next to me. I wanted to scream at him, "TURN AROUND! YOU DON'T DESERVE TO LOOK AT THIS!" :damn: but I kept my cool

When M'Baku came out to challenge T'Challa, I was like, :lupe: "but he just became king tho..... can he have a few min?"

I was afraid he wasn't gonna win - which speaks to how good the directors were at making you feel the high stakes. OBVIOUSLY this is a Black Panther movie and obviously he isnt gonna lose, but they really made you feel the gravity of the situation. When he was choking M'baku out at the edge of the cliff, I wanted to shout, "breh watch out, you're too close to the edge!!!! :damn:"

But just everything.... I can keep on giving a play by play of the entire movie but I will skip ahead to the things that really stand out

When Killmonger was standing in the art gallery looking like a black hipster :mjlol: and then started ethering the white chic

I still had no idea the emotional connection I would feel to his character cause again, I didn't watch any spoilers, but just that line again had me feeling like he was a real breh :myman:

as the movie progressed, I was just amazed at the world building. I will be honest, in Civil War, Panther was cool.... he was aight.... but he wasn't the breakout character in that movie

but here??? :whew: this was HIS movie, this was HIS world and we were just all living in it. I loved the setup to them going to Korea, the way they were able to take control of the cars with their ADVANCED TECH

the tech aspect in itself had me feeling some kinda way :to: cause I know how talented we as a people are. Imagine if we were able to get our young ppl to stop being so focused on materialism and rap and sex, and instead focus on SCIENCE??

We would run circles around the rest of the world. That had me really feeling some kinda way because this movie was like a social experiment, how would black ppl fare without the influence of white civilization? :mjcry: and it was beautiful

when Ross got shot, I almost wanted T'Challa to let him die. Why? Because that cac was already getting interested in what was really happening in Wakanda and would only try to come over there and steal the resources for America.

Sometimes I feel like thats one of our weaknesses. We truly are a beautiful and compassionate people and the reason white folks have tricked us in the past is due to our good nature, and our willingness to help them and save them even when they have ulterior dark motives

so with that being said, I was thinking :patrice: "yeah, we appreciate him taking that bullet for Lupita sexy ass, but oh well"

but of course, that would go against the righteousness of T'Challa and I understood why they had to take him back, but I didn't like it :francis:

fastforwarding... When the truth about Killmonger came out and he came on the scene and YES, that was a POWERFUL scene when he kept saying, "ask me who I am!" :birdman:

I wanted to hit T'challa with that :ufdup: "you know you done f'd up right? shouldn't have even let him into the throne room"

when Killmonger challenged him, I'm like ":lupe: but he ain't never even been in the country before... how he get to issue a challenge and he just touched down like 2 min ago?"

when the fight happened, I was disappointed! still disappointed about that whole scene and the way it played out.

Killmonger beat the BRAKES off T'challa and I couldn't understand it. How T'Challa a warrior trained in the ancient customs and Killmonger been trained by the white man and he beat him so easy? I was waiting on some kinda reveal like, "Killmonger secretly munched on a few heart shaped herbs" or the soup that T'challa drunk to take away his BP powers got tampered with and it sapped his regular energy too

I didn't like that part. Killmonger beat him so easy. And yeah, he had a lot more fury and hatred and like he said, he trained his whole life for that one moment but still.... when he threw my boy T'challa off the cliff, I was :damn::damn::damn::damn: which again speaks to just how good Coogler was at evoking that emotion in these scenes

OBVIOUSLY BP survives, we see him in the Infinity War trailers, but brehs in that moment, sitting in the theater, I was :ooh: :picard::mjcry: cause I thought my guy was dead.

when Killmonger walked into the throne room and the camera was upside down :picard: and the trap music was playing :picard: and my dude was swagged out in the full length Wakandan peacoat :picard:

I hunched my brother and told him, "I don't know who I'm supposed to be rooting for!!!!!!!" :damn::damn::damn:

at this point, I was fully on Killmonger's side. When he told his story of his history and how Wakanda wasn't doing anything for black people across the diaspora :whew:, that SPOKE to me

I mean, I like Chadwick and T'challa seems like a nice guy but..... :sadcam: we may need to let ya boi Killmonger in office and see what he can do in 4 years. Give him a chance! :salute:

He was not a bad character. He wasn't a bad guy. He was what most young black men have felt at some point in your life if you have ANY level of black consciousness and awareness.

and I couldn't be mad at that. how this got past Marvel studios, I need Coogler to come out one day and just give us the backstory of how he was able to convince a boardroom of entitled cacs to release this movie? cause this was epic

aalllll of that, I will never understand how this made it past these Marvel and Disney execs :dahell:

I give this a 10/10, I cn write all night, but I think brehs feel me at this point and half of y'all probably won't even read to this point. But this movie was greatness personified. I can't wait to go back and see it with my woman this weekend.

Like I said, I love the character of T'Challa, a humble breh ready to fight for his people, but I identified with Killmonger. Every scene he's in, the music, the swag, all of that

only thing I didn't like, and my brother pointed this out, was that Killmonger talked that talk about wanting to help and save black ppl, but he was killing black ppl left and right. Killed his girlfriend. Tried to kill T'challa. Killed Forest Whittaker. Choked up the old african woman. Killed Ayo.

So yeah, he wanted to help black ppl but he was too overcome with rage and hate and that made him a danger to his own people. If he had won, he would have ruled by fear

so he needed to be stopped. But if some of them bars he was dropping didn't sound like some prime Nas in 94 :whew::whew::whew:

so Im done with this review for tonight. I still haven't completely processed this movie, this work of art, this beautiful concept, so I will be back with more at a later time

This was dope breh

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Loved your post and review breh excellent

I

was

not

expecting

what

I

saw.

safe_image.php

bU3njEh.png

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Narratively Killmonger targeted everybody yes

But the imagery used in the movie between him and Black women was intentional and worth acknowledging imo

I’m saying. There’s nothing wrong with identifying with the dudes struggle and feeling him. But he’s got a lot of other issues. You can decry the man and his methods while being down for his cause