Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

giphy.gif

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
That, murdering the other chick just because. Choking someone out, dismissing the Dora Milaje and basically putting W’kabi and his people above them. Like I said, I get the angle. I get what he’s saying. But I’m not going to cheer for the dude all because he’s playing a song I like. That’s like saying r Kelly isn’t an a$$hole or worse just because he made you step step step in the name of love
He murdered her as a means of showing that everyone was disposable to his goal. He killed her and the white dude. He didn't put W'kabi and them ahead of them because they were women, it was simply that the men agreed with him. If anything it was used to show the wisdom of women and the ego of men and our tendency for war. The women wanted restraint and W'kabi was about that action and ready to go conquer just like Killmonger. It reinforced why they are closest to the King and so heavily valued. In fact, the middleground that the king took ended up being inspired by women as yet another contrast. And who did he leave in charge of those kids? His sister, a woman. The reasonable radical nature of Lupita was juxtaposed against his. Her way won. He was made to show how our anger as black men due to neglect and the shyt society throws at us can make us cold and single-minded. Even his noble goal was guided by the carnage he was raised in and the mindset of the conqueror. T'Challa and co. told him that he was becoming those he despised and accordingly, he acted just like them. Haven't most black power movements been plagued by male ego and often misogyny and haven't black women supported them anyway because they understand the greater goal and relate to those brothers?

Saying you don't fukk with him is basically saying you don't fukk with a substantial portion of the people who preached black liberation theology and that's your prerogative, but you're literally upset at Killmonger for being a realistic character and being too strong a reflection of truth. He wouldn't be as strong if he wasn't that accurate. His missteps would not have such relevance and power and impact. People loved him because, well, like Hov said: "He was just some thug that caught some slugs, but we loved him because in him we saw some of us." The R. Kelly thing is a stretch man. The whole reason people love him is because they identify with his rage, and can see how he got to where he was. It would be different if T'Challa acted like that, but people empathize with more extreme things than you give them credit for. The fact that you walked out of the theater surprised is more a reflection of your politics than the reaction to him being abnormal. Most people of both genders love the character. He was supposed to be wrong. When haven't people loved a charismatic villain?

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it opening night with the expectation that Disney would have their hands in it too much and fukk it up their own way

But shoutout to the writers for such a relevant film with fresh themes. The timing of this was really great both culturally in the real world and within the worldbuilding of the MCU entering Wakanda as an international superpower. I had no knowledge of BP other than him being a man in a cat suit. But the way it respectfully interprets parts of african culture mixed in with afropunk bringing wakanda to life gives me expectations both of what they'll do in infinity war and hope for more creative/inspirational interpretations of blackness in our art going forward.

Longish review

Tchalla was cool. I worried the most for his character but he carries himself with earned dignity and unforced swag. I like how his arc is centered around him wanting to be a good king and his trial: to continue his family's duty of protecting their culture/nation namely through isolationism on one hand and on the other, fill a role he knows the wider world will need against the threats on the horizon.

Kilmonger I feel was the best MCU villian even though overall I didn't really like MBJ's performance. His was the only character who seemed cartoonish or over the top at times trying to emanate some hood nikka among country yokels bravado. I can understand why they would emphasize it thematically but MBJ's acting came off like one of those corny nikkas who start acting mad hood around white folks hoping one of them will ask him to teach them the nae nae. He never really had a feel, one moment he's harderned war merc, the next angry madman, around the way dude (the hey aunty line), thoughtful pro black, tyrant etc. None of them really stuck but for the sake of story I understand why each aspect was there.

Writing wise is where Kilmonger really shined. His character arc ran parallel yet opposite to Tchalla's like a good antagonist should. He and Tchalla both had kinglike traits and birthright. Both were heavily influenced by their cultures and fathers. However Tchalla aspires to be the good of his family's legacy like being a good king, wanting to right his father's mistake and protecting wakandan culture. while kilmonger was influenced by the darkest part of his influences: death, namely his fathers and his identity as a black man in america.

Death turned Kilmonger into a callous murderer willing to shoot friends without a second thought. The other's influence was shown in his time in Wakanda. Kilmonger frames his anger as righteous and actions as meaningful given black history yet when it came down to it Kilmonger looked down at Wakanda with the same eyes and mind as the colonizers he hated. Tchalla speaks on this to him during their fight

The way kilmonger frames his anger would make it seem like it came from a place of love for his brothers and sisters. But in his first appearance he's aiding a [white] outsider who kills wakandans and steals their tech. He makes perfect use of wakandan rituals and culture when it benefits him (ascending to king) then destroys it when it doesn't like when he burns the garden down. Kills a lifelong subject in day 0 of being king, thoughtlessly began dragging wakanda into ww3 while killing more on day 1. Kilmonger was only loyal to his rage at being put in such an unfair life position, losing his dad from wakandan politics.

I think one of the biggest themes of this movie was carrying of culture and legacy. Accepting that it's your day and you don't have to carry the sins nor abuse of forefathers while making your own path. This is constantly reinforced to Tchalla and the best thing about it that it's a continuation of his character arc from CA: Civil War. Tchalla found himself within the chain of hatred when he was about to kill his father's murderer (who was avenging his own family) and broke it in that movie choosing to spare him. Now with his character developed from that he meets Kilmonger, a man who hit that same crossroad he did a movie ago who goes in the other direction, immersing himself in his hatred and identifying with only the most bitter parts of influences and history.

Another character that paralleled kilmonger in a great way was Daniel Kaya's character and his similar righteous anger from his dad being killed by the poacher. He was eager to follow Kilmonger in indulging his hatred with fighting. However he had a moment that distinctly separates his righteous anger with kilmongers evil: When he surrenders to Tchalla's side. Kaya looked on at his countrymen fighting, possibly dying and decided to stop out of a love for his people that overrides his lingering hatred. This is what kilmonger doesn't have.

I'm not one to give a fukk about portrayals like that but I loved the black women in this. They were strong without it seeming cliche, undermining, or burdened. The bald chick was a fukkin boss and she had our theater cracking up with the wig shyt. Tchalla's sister was cool too, her bubbly personality is a breath of fresh air and helped the tone.

My main complaints outside of MBJ's acting was the 3D. Worst 3D I seen in a long time. shyt just seemed like parts of the screen were perpetually out of focus. I thought I'd enjoy that tchalla dream sequence more. Also the black panther suit looks underwhelming at times. Maybe it's the cgi.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
He murdered her as a means of showing that everyone was disposable to his goal. He killed her and the white dude. He didn't put W'kabi and them ahead of them because they were women, it was simply that the men agreed with him. If anything it was used to show the wisdom of women and the ego of men and our tendency for war. The women wanted restraint and W'kabi was about that action and ready to go conquer just like Killmonger. It reinforced why they are closest to the King and so heavily valued. In fact, the middleground that the king took ended up being inspired by women as yet another contrast. And who did he leave in charge of those kids? His sister, a woman. The reasonable radical nature of Lupita was juxtaposed against his. Her way won. He was made to show how our anger as black men due to neglect and the shyt society throws at us can make us cold and single-minded. Even his noble goal was guided by the carnage he was raised in and the mindset of the conqueror. T'Challa and co. told him that he was becoming those he despised and accordingly, he acted just like them. Haven't most black power movements been plagued by male ego and often misogyny and haven't black women supported them anyway because they understand the greater goal and relate to those brothers?

Saying you don't fukk with him is basically saying you don't fukk with a substantial portion of the people who preached black liberation theology and that's your prerogative, but you're literally upset at Killmonger for being a realistic character and being too strong a reflection of truth. He wouldn't be as strong if he wasn't that accurate. His missteps would not have such relevance and power and impact. People loved him because, well, like Hov said: "He was just some thug that caught some slugs, but we loved him because in him we saw some of us." The R. Kelly thing is a stretch man. The whole reason people love him is because they identify with his rage, and can see how he got to where he was. It would be different if T'Challa acted like that, but people empathize with more extreme things than you give them credit for. The fact that you walked out of the theater surprised is more a reflection of your politics than the reaction to him being abnormal. Most people of both genders love the character. He was supposed to be wrong. When haven't people loved a charismatic villain?

No. Me saying I don’t fukk with him means I don’t fukk with the way he went about shyt. You can agree with someone or even see their rationale without giving a pass to their methods. I didn’t walk out of the theater surprised either homie lol don’t put words in my mouth. I actually walked out empathizing and understanding and wondering how I’d feel if I were him and what I’d do and agreeing with parts of his shyt. But I wouldn’t say he was right or he’s that dude or big him up entirely because I can’t abide certain shyt.

I’m not upset at the character for being who he is. He’s a great villain and that’s what villains should do. But that doesn’t mean I have to like him as a character. Michael B did his thing. I empathized a bit. But that’s not a guy I’d ride with and be down with. I’d be more with T’challa’s way of seeing the world. There are better ways to help and different things to do that don’t involve going to war or becoming the very thing you say you hate. I also feel like while his goals started noble and started about the people, they mutated and became more about him and what’s going to satiate his anger and his vengeance. The minute a leader makes it about him and not the people, he’s on shaky ass ground and doesn’t deserve to lead.

I’m not saying you can’t relate to the anger and all that. shyt I’m not even saying you can’t like him. But don’t act like the dude is a saint and look over the bad shyt or truly rotten shyt to give props to an ideology you agree with or part of you agrees with. That’s a slippery ass slope in my book

So your first paragraph is exactly how I felt. Your second is reaching and not even close to the mark

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah this shyt won't be re-released unless it's just out of reach of a billion. And it'll be toward the fall/winter when there are theaters to occupy

And the more I think about it, can't get with anything about Killmonger. The way he treated the women in this flick. Complete disregard for all of those black women. shyt the first thing he did when he got Panther Power was choke a woman on the spot. Crazy how many people rolled out the theater bigging him up while ignoring that shyt

I said this and cats in this thread were calling me all kinds of cac-c00ns.:wtf::dahell::shaq2: It is what it is I suppose. Our conditions have been conditioned. Our women want an overly aggressive man and our brothers want to aspire to be overly aggressive in to be considered "alpha" to other men and in part to get women, I suppose.:manny:

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

I fully endorse this

I said this and cats in this thread were calling me all kinds of cac-c00ns.:wtf::dahell::shaq2: It is what it is I suppose. Our conditions have been conditions. Women want an overly aggressive man and men want to aspire to be overly aggressive in to be considered "alpha" to other men and in part to get women, I suppose.:manny:

All depends on the crowd lol. One of my boys bought it up earlier and I think he wrote about it for a site so yeah all depends on the people. I understand the other argument but to call you white or a c00n because you want the sisters to be treated better

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
It’s also the magneto professor x thing. Magneto’s views are never shown to be completely wrong. His methods are questioned but it’s never ever been shown to be wrong. He has his philosophy and his way of going about it. T’Challa has his. Like you said he was presented very sympathetically and made salient points.

But it’s the coli, you expect shyt like that
Marvel earth really makes it hard to root for them. The atrocities are worse due to the nature of the sliding timescale in comics. I ain't saying magneto or killmonger were right but they are the product of the world. Hell for example in an alternate timeline the govt of canada wiped out most of their population or genetically modified em. Hardliners (Earth-9418)
In the 616 universe the people are just as fukked up as their government. You can campaign for office and openly endorsing mutant genocide will get you votes.
If you're in the military that genocidal rhetoric would upgrade you to private or colonel.
You can declare that ''God hates muties'' and form a religion based off that, send people to kill children that are born different, and watch your church membership swell (church of humanity).
Genosha was a mutant apartheid as well with serious rights abuses.
Its not just the government that's fukked up. The people are actually getting the government they want :mjlol:
That's not including the government funded concentration camps for mutants like MRD secret police.
Its like they want us to root for Magneto :mjlol: