pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
On the flipside T'challa playing almost like the conservative black man could simply be a twist in character building for a black role done by Coogler and company. You love the black hero from an rich and powerful African nation but at the same time you also cringe a bit when you find out he's a black republican. Its kind of a different take instead of a black role with either they're too militant or on the other side they're soft as fukk. Maybe he becomes more pro active for the cause later on in another film. The only nuance was that Killmonger, who spoke some real shyt, was too over the top and extreme right off the bat. But both character are really good and it came off well.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Also Wakanda not helping other blacks world wide is bad but at the same time its interesting. Wakanda is not the perfect nation for all black people and its not trying to be everything for every type black person. They're strictly into Wakanda and Wakandians. In real life and lot of African countries have horrible government and internal problems. Wakana has a rich and narcissists vibe and Killmonger called them out on it. I just think it helps story and plot wise for now into the future that they're not fully into the ideal of saving the black race as a whole. At the end they started to feel like yeah we should be doing more for the expats. Sometimes you're not really aware of the shyt you're doing until somebody calls you out on it and then it dawns on you all of a sudden.

Last edited:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Danai Gurira, Daniel Kaluuya and John Kani killed it. Winston, Lupita and Serkis were good. Daniel is going to be a star. Michael B. Jordan was bad. Special mention for Sterling K Brown who was great in his few mins of screentime.

Coogler was ok. Very good in parts but something was off about the overall movie structure and his ability to build suspense/drama and knit the narrative together. Compare the duel for the crown with (for example) with the circus' fights in Gladiator or the opening scene. Similar amounts of money spent but the dramatic tension was far less in BP. Coogler's problems with scene narrative also show up in terms of consistent tone in a scene where (for example) switching camera angles at the wrong time and to/from the wrong things with differing moods/intensity snapped me out of the scene. This was also true of the music which didn't mesh transparently with the events on camera at points.

I also get why you would you might try to establish local Wakanda cultural norms but things like the cross-armed greeting seemed somewhat hackneyed at times. Remember the father/son greeting in Civil War. That did more to establish their relationship and to get the audience emotionally invested in their relationship and it did it by slowing the pace and letting the actors' personalities shine organically rather than employing cold words supplemented by scripted adjuncts. This was one of the reasons that this film's attempts to establish Wakandan culture failed to transmit real authentic cultural depth IMO. What does that mean? Without going into too many words I mean for example in the way that the cinematography in Janet Jackson's 'Got til it's gone' video does. The cultural impression is bone deep in that video, in BP it seems somewhat superficial.

There were also a few too many stereotypes IMO but hey.. It's Hollywood.

All in all one of the better MCU films bettered only by Cap 2+3, Avengers I, GOTG 1 and possibly IM1 which were all more polished outings. My opinion on this might change with further viewings.

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Also Wakanda not helping other blacks world wide is bad but at the same time its interesting. Wakanda is not the perfect nation for all black people and its not trying to be everything for every type black person. They're strictly into Wakanda and Wakandians. In real life and lot of African countries have horrible government and internal problems. Wakana has a rich and narcissists vibe and Killmonger called them out on it. I just think it helps story and plot wise for now into the future that they're not fully into the ideal of saving the black race as a whole. At the end they started to feel like yeah we should be doing more for the expats. Sometimes you're not really aware of the shyt you're doing until somebody calls you out on it and then it dawns on you all of a sudden.

That's why Killmongers father was trying to spark a revolution, he lived among us and his eyes were opened to our pain. Wakanda being isolated is understandable considering how evil white people are, but not helping out other Africans or the diaspora is such a huge slap in the face and why Killmonger is so relatable, they had the power to change the lives of every black person on the planet but chose not to.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
Funny you mention the Dora when they are based off Hudlin's version and not Priest(the ones I prefer because they look sexy af). Killmonger and the Rhino part are good comparison however the way the characters acted especially Shuri and Wakanda's xenophobia are all Hudlin. Many people here even agreed they saw more Hudlin.
The xenophobia was a thing way before Hudlin