Official 'Atlanta' Season 3 Thread

Fiji Water

Every moment is an opportunity
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Only thing I didnt like about episode 1 was after all that, he makes it back home and his mother is still being an a$$hole.

The mother was being herself. Nobody's parents are perfect. But it highlights how the system is quick to tell us we can't parent.

Two lesbian psychos can somehow default to being better than your own mother with a house and your grandad showing an edifice of tough love. Hence 3 slaps.

Niggthaniel Essex

13th Floor/Growing Old
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Only thing I didnt like about episode 1 was after all that, he makes it back home and his mother is still being an a$$hole.

Nah. When she answered back and called him baby, that was love right there. There was a lot said just in that one word

I can't explain it real well, but if you know, you know.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Folks are getting on the mom and overlooking the fact that it is implied the little boy was somewhat spoiled/unappreciative of her. She is probably busting her ass to take care of him and keep him at that school. The the grandad is there for support. The kid was oblivious to his surroundings and doesn't "get" that they were laughing at him and not with him. Dead give away is the "lecture" she gives him about making the other kids laugh and when he tells her he is going to eat spaghetti and she acknowledges him in a lighter expression/tone His mom clearly isn't the neglectful "hood rat" that some of you are trying to paint her as.

They basically portrayed her from the POV of the karen at the beginning that is if you don't understand the subtleties of what's going on in between the mom and assistant principle lady [or whoever she was..]

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Lower than murder suicide??? :mjlol:
You realize it’s partially her fault why he was in that situation in the first place right? And the only reason he isn’t dead is because of him?

But yeah, all is forgiven because she called him baby….not cuz she apologized for giving him up…not cuz she inquired and sympathized for what he went thru….because she called the nikka baby…you nikkas man smh

Niggthaniel Essex

13th Floor/Growing Old
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
You realize it’s partially her fault why he was in that situation in the first place right? And the only reason he isn’t dead is because of him?

But yeah, all is forgiven because she called him baby….not cuz she apologized for giving him up…not cuz she inquired and sympathized for what he went thru….because she called the nikka baby…you nikkas man smh

I think you're taking it more literally than most.

You can explain to some kids how the world really is, and they'll take it in and trust your word on it because you have the experience and lived it.

And other kids can only comprehend shyt by experiencing it, which was most likely his case.

The mom was basically showing him how the real world works and how society sees him by letting him go, and he comes back with a new appreciation for her and the house.

I mean, obviously a work of fiction, but the message is there.

Fiji Water

Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Look, I specifically said she isn't perfect. And no, he's not alive because of himself.

The mother told him these white folks are crazy and it was her words that drove him home. Right or wrong, she cared. You debating *love* of all things, in a dream sequence. :mjlol:

Love is being honest.

She clearly loved him when she nipped that remedial class shyt in the bud.

Yes, her parenting method was extreme. So what? She was extreme because she knew what could happen to her son and it damn near did.

"You nikkas, man". Dude, suspend your disbelief for at least a moment. YOU nikkaS, man. Lmao.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look, I specifically said she isn't perfect. And no, he's not alive because of himself.

The mother told him these white folks are crazy and it was her words that drove him home. Right or wrong, she cared. You debating *love* of all things, in a dream sequence. :mjlol:

Love is being honest.

Yes, her parenting method was extreme. So what? She was extreme because she knew what could happen to her son and it damn near did.

"You nikkas, man". Dude, suspend your disbelief for at least a moment. YOU nikkaS, man. Lmao.
idk...

i think you taking the wrong message from it too.

pretty sure they were also depicting that she almost got her son killed because she wouldn't listen to a damn thing he was saying either. he's not the one who called child protective services, but she didn't want to hear that and just gave his ass up.

GodinDaFlesh

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Godverse

Love is being honest.

Both of y'all are right. From a literary perspective, she trying to make a point that the world will eat you if you don't shape up. But from a realistic POV, hell no letting your child being taken away to prove a point is child abuse. Y'all just arguing from two different perspectives :yeshrug:

Fiji Water

Daps
Reppin
Harlem
idk...

i think you taking the wrong message from it too.

pretty sure they were also depicting that she almost got her son killed because she wouldn't listen to a damn thing he was saying either. he's not the one who called child protective services, but she didn't want to hear that and just gave his ass up.
I'm simply talking my point. I'm not dying on this hill.

The general message was obviously that white people are cursed, too.

And he might as well have called them when he went with the white teacher instead of taking his punishment.

The mom literally knew the game and said "look, just give him detention...". But he thought it was sweet.