Official 'Atlanta' Season 3 Thread

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
first episode the spirits of the residents of the flooded black town pulled the black dude that was fishing into the lake

later in that same episode the crazy lesbian couple drove the car into the lake

episode 3 van was throwing white folks into the water all crazy

episode 4 the same white dude that was fishing with bro during the nightmare on the lake in episode 1 peels his dome back & falls into the pool

maybe it's symbolic the primordial waters that existed before everything

we all came from nothing & to nothing we all return¿

Word I was thinking maybe it’s about going back Europe? White folk having to take their own involuntary voyage into the water? :ld:

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
this is like the opposite of Get Out, its get out for white people
I felt like it was more of Donald Glover’s “US” that’s more explicitly racial in its focus. The white people and Black people are tethered by slavery in this instance and it ends with the same song. Lol

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
The fact that Atlanta will boldly make these non-sequiters is what puts them head and shoulders above any show out there. The shyt is BRILLIANT budget wise and creatively.

Got an interesting concept you wanna flesh out? fukk it. Got a cast with a ton of bud in their own careers??? Seriously... fukk IT. There's no rules in art.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Big Zig and the Gang, I need you. There’s an unshakable theme I haven’t seen anybody talk about. White people ending up in the water. Dying in the water that. I haven’t been able to tie it to anything yet and I can’t think of any example in ep 2.

Thoughts? :jbhmm:

Water represents cleansing and new beginnings.

The white “soothsayer” who appeared in both episode 1 and this episode is attempting to let white people know that their time of reckoning has come. And that only through ACTION can there be absolution.

It’s NOT enough to try to “save black people” like the lesbian couple did in episode 1 by adopting all of those black children because that only adds to the “white savior” complex. Which for white people is akin to mental illness.

It’s NOT enough to be a “good” white person like Marshall fashions himself to be in episode 4. This is a guy whose previous privilege allows him to cut a black man in a Starbucks line and “accidentally”’steal the cafe’s produce. “Good” only allows you to casually sidestep accountability.

In each episode the white people’s sins had to be cleansed before they could move on. The white lesbians had already succumbed to their sins, so their cleansing ended in death. Marshall however, was able to adhere to the warnings of the soothsayer and instead of fighting the inevitable, he accepted it, therefore his cleansing was less permanent (he was allowed to live) but no less harsh (loss of his family, status, and a portion of future earnings)

The season is also showing both sides of the equation by telling the same story from the “black” perspective through Earn and the gang’s adventures in Europe. I’ve already broken down how each episode shows Black people escaping what would otherwise have been harrowing or even fatal consequences had they taken place in “reality”.

-Earn getting away from the white promoter due the promoter mistaking someone in blackface for an actual black man (thus utilizing ingrained racism as an advantage)

-Paperboi being able to enjoy a gourmet lunch while imprisoned, surrounded by comfortable furnishings and pleasant wardens.

-Earn being able to rip off a white millionaire who knows absolutely nothing about black art

-Paperboi being able to destroy a billionaire’s prized possession and escape with no consequences

-Darius experiencing a slightly racist encounter and having white people come to HIS aid.

-Vanessa being able to assault random white people by (hint hint) pushing them into a POOL and facing no consequences whatsoever.

So while black people are, for the first time in modern day history being able to actually ENJOY, BENEFIT, and PROFIT off of what it means to be black; white people are coming to grips with what it means to SUFFER for the history of being white. The soothsayer is attempting to make the transition easier and understandable for white people. In effect he’s what white “Jesus” truly is. Its no coincidence that he came back three episodes AFTER his first appearance and that his sole scene was a metaphorical “baptism” for Marshall

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Someone said he makes black people dumb and one dimensional and I kind of agree.

Then you haven’t been watching the series.

Alfred AKA Paperboi is one of the more three dimensional and psychologically fascinating characters on television. Darius might actually be FOUR dimensional. Both Earn and Van are fully formed three dimensional characters.

If anything the series makes many of its white characters one note. This episode has actually introduced the most three dimensional character white character so far introduced.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
Then you haven’t been watching the series.

Alfred AKA Paperboi is one of the more three dimensional and psychologically fascinating characters on television. Darius might actually be FOUR dimensional. Both Earn and Van are fully formed three dimensional characters.

If anything the series makes many of its white characters one note. This episode has actually introduced the most three dimensional character white character so far introduced.

I meant none main characters