Official Assassins Creed Unity Thread

Daps
Reppin
Memphis
It's not out yet in the US
I'm fully aware of that, but I'd like to have some Coli people on my friends list to run with

also

Assassins-Creed-Unity-Rifts-Challenge-Mode-Characters-Levels.jpg

We get to play as different Assassins over various time periods. I see Ezio, Altair, and Aveline in this. Looks like that person from the Season Pass of Unity too

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm fully aware of that, but I'd like to have some Coli people on my friends list to run with

also

Assassins-Creed-Unity-Rifts-Challenge-Mode-Characters-Levels.jpg

We get to play as different Assassins over various time periods. I see Ezio, Altair, and Aveline in this. Looks like that person from the Season Pass of Unity too
Gotcha

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
I don't know what yall nikkas talkin bout E.Kenway was that nikka so what if he was false flaggin for a min

:troll: nikka was about that $$$

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
The affable Assassin harks back to the days of Ezio Auditore with his flair, panache and charm, though he’s not as black and white as the Italian killer. No, Arno is a little deeper than almost all previous Assassin’s. His back story is particularly interesting having being adopted by the Templar Grandmaster after his birth father was slain.

Note: Ubisoft declined to send a review copy, so we’re not constrained to review embargo dates as the copy reviewed was bought by the reviewer out of his own pocket. Not cheaply either…

Assassin’s Creed: Unity marks the 8th entry into the main series of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, a franchise that has become a yearly event looked forward to by many, reviled by others..

Ubisoft’s insistence that we need a new Assassin’s Creed game every year has brought a level of stagnation to the popular open-world stealth adventures, but Assassin’s Creed: Unity looks to buck the trend by presenting an entirely fresh approach – but does it live up to the hype? Or has the series fallen on its own blade? Read on for the full Assassin’s Creed: Unity review.

Story

For me the historical tales that are told within the Assassin’s Creed games are a big factor; I’m one of the few who enjoyed Desmond’s story arch and didn’t find Conner Kenway in Assassin’s Creed III a total boring douche.

Thankfully the story isn’t anywhere near as convoluted as some previous entries (Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, I’m looking at you buddy.) You step into the robes of French Assassin Arno Dorian.

acunityreview4.jpg

Forbidden love, sly dog…

That’s not the only link to the ‘dark-side’ that Arno has either; he fancies the frocks off of the Templar Grand Master’s daughter, too. Ouch.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s story is littered with subplots, many of which are found within the side-quests that play out alongside the main storyline. More on that later though.

Without giving too much away, Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s main storyline is a coherent tale that’s told well through a cast of memorable characters, though it does at times feel a bit all over the place. The main reason being that missions are no longer set out like previous games, instead it’s more in line with the original Assassin’s Creed, minus the lengthy cut-scenes that many criticised after its release. Personally, I enjoyed them,

You’ll be tasked with following out a few simple errands, as per, and then you’re presented with an area that houses your target and it’s your task to take out your would-be victim in any manner that you please. It strips away the linear, cinematic set-pieces (though there are still a few to be found, and well done, too,) and invites players to play their way.

acunityreview9.jpg

Assassin’s Creed: Unity is definitely the most graphic to-date.

From a narrative point of view it isn’t the best course by Ubisoft, but from a gameplay stance it works wonders in making players feel like a true Assassin, so it’s swings and round-a-bouts.

The present-day storyline that runs parallel to the Parisian adventures of Arno are somewhat forgettable, unfortunately. Where previous entries made it worth your while being pulled from the Animus and thrust into the hoodie of Desmond Miles, Assassin’s Creed: Unity merely uses the present day as a reason for the game to exist. The brief plot with the modern-day Assassin’s leaves a lot to be desired, but there’s certainly room for Ubisoft to shift the focus to the present day, should they find a story arc worth exploring as they did so well with the fate of Desmond and his happy gang of Assassin’s.

There’s also some surprise missions thrown in there that many fans of the series will enjoy, possible giving hope for how the future of the series will progress, but to say anymore would spoil the surprise, but trust me, if you’ve ever wondered what Assassin’s Creed would play like if it was set a little bit closer to the modern-day, you’ll be happy. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

In short, if you’re in for the story and are ready to suspend disbelief for a few hours whilst your traipse around Paris during the French Revolution era, then you’ll be left satisfied. However, if you’re looking for something to anchor the game with a modern setting that gives you a reason for running around France looking all fancy and what not, you’ll be disappointed.

acunityreview.jpg

And we thought the NHS was bad…

It’s not a bad attempt by any means, though one thing that did strike me as unusual and a little bit annoying was how everyone seems to speak as if they hail from Downton Abbey. Ubisoft has already stated their reasons for giving the characters English accents, but it’s still a bit strange to hear posh English voices mutter the odd French word. It detracts from the story and reminds you that you’re playing a game. Not a big deal as part of the big picture, but worth mentioning non-the-less.

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
This is where I have to keep my fanboyism in check and not just start spouting superlatives, but it’s hard not too. Assassin’s Creed: Unity is not a simple re-hash of last years release, but a true next-gen powerhouse that delivers in the gameplay department.

In my eyes the graphics could be poor and the story sub-par, but if the gameplay is fun I’ll happily throw my money down again and again, as is the case with Assassin’s Creed: Unity.

Traversal, combat, assassinations and just about everything else has had a complete face-lift from Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. Controlling Arno feels fluid and natural, the controller being a mere extension of yourself, a natural interface between you and Arno.

Where previous games managed to induce fits of rage with dodgy climbing mechanics (Ezio fell to his death many a time by my hand, though not by my will,) Assassin’s Creed: Unity has near-perfected the movement of an Assassin.

acunityreview5.jpg

Customise Arno and become the Master Assassin.

I was gobsmacked by Assassin’s Creed III’s traversal system, at the time I thought it revolutionary and couldn’t imagine it getting any better (Black Flag was further proof of my theory,) but Unity blows it out of the water.

Simply walking through the bustling streets of central Paris is a joy to behold, due in no small part to the fact that I’m not accidentally picking pockets or stroking the faces of soldiers and causing a ruckus in doing so. Instead with a slight push of the left stick you can stroll through the densely populated and thoughtfully designed streets with ease, taking in the little details, more on them later.

Of course you don’t want to spend all of your time walking amongst the peasants and their squelch, so you’ll spend just as much time hopping from roof to roof, scaling the famous landmarks of the day and generally doing wicked-cool stuff that you’d fail miserably at in real life. It’s not hard either, in fact it’s as simple as one could imagine.

I’m usually big on complaining about stripping down features and making them too easy, as was the case with Assassin’s Creed: III’s combat, though on this occasion it’s a welcome move. Whilst it does feel like your simply pushing one button and guiding with your left thumb, that’s exactly as easy as it should be. Assassin’s Creed games aren’t climbing simulators and as such it makes sense for the most common method of travel to be as simple as possible to leave the player free to enjoy the game, rather than holding down a combination of buttons in order to move one hand in front of the other.

acunityreview2.jpg

Moody perching, as all heroes are prone to do.

The climbing, or parkour should I say, has made much easier, most likely to ease in new players. It works splendidly and with the new ‘up and down’ feature, by where you simply press one button to initiate upwards movement and another to make your way back towards the Earth, there’s a lack of frustration that often came about from dodgy controls. That said, I still managed to fling myself off of a few buildings to fall to my demise. I’m a clumsy guy with big hands though, so I’m laying the blame on them.

Combat is another feature to be revamped, but instead of being drawn back and made overly simplistic, it’s actually a bit harder. Where previous games would allow you to simply keep up the volley of counter-attacks and defence-breaks until a substantial pile of corpses surrounded you, Assassin’s Creed: Unity forces you to adapt to your enemy and learn new methods of dispatching foes.

There are of a course ‘classes’ of enemies, and by that I mean you have your regular grunts who are just waiting to have their throats cut whilst the ‘heavies’ take a bit more skill to kill. It’s the same basic principal as combat in Assassin’s Creed: III and Black Flag, but I didn’t ever feel over-powered to the extent I did in the aforementioned games, in fact I felt downright vulnerable at times and was forced to scurry away like a rat, lest I be killed.

Assassin’s Creed games have come under fire ever since Assassin’s Creed II for the lack of actual stealth involved. Where the first game did a decent job and forced you to move silently amongst the crowds and plot a path to make your kill, subsequent games have been generally a lot more action-orientated, to varying degrees of success.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity takes a step back from the action, though there’s still plenty of it, and lets your take your time, assessing your surroundings to make the perfect kill.

acunityreview7.jpg

Time it right and you’ll land the kill, knocking the wig off the smarmy git.

Assassination targets are presented in a sandbox type of way, in that you have one fairly large area and your target is somewhere within, usually well guarded and hard to get to. Not a problem.

Instead of being told to run through a crowd and stab the b*stard in the neck or being presented the option of taking a cheap shot from above with a ranged attack, you’re encouraged to survey the area first. Where are the guards? What are their movement patterns? If I distract guard A will guard B follow suit or will he be more savy to what’s occurring and become more alert to the imminent threat? These are questions I found myself asking over and over again, and the perfectionist in me forced several replays of missions until I was satisfied that I’d pulled off the ‘perfect’ assassination.

Assassinations are good fun too. For purists who like to achieve their targets and collect trophies/achievements you’ll be more than happy with the challenging gameplay on offer. The first few kills are fairly simple and walk you through it with a helping hand, but once you’ve been taught the basics then you’re on your own and it’s a tough, brutal world out there.

Sure you can make a few slip ups and still get to your target, but it’s a lot harder when things don’t go to plan and when everything does go balls up, you’ll probably find yourself wanting to restart the mission and give it another shot, maybe taking the not-so direct approach. That’s the beauty in Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s gameplay. You’re not confined to a strict set of parameters, but instead you’re offered the choice to build your own approach and should you cock it up, you’ve only yourself to blame. (It’s fair to blame the game though, we all do it and it makes us feel better about ourselves.)

You’re given a fair few tools to relieve your foes of their Earthy shackles and send them off into the afterlife with some great battle-wounds to brag about. The new and improved hidden blade features a mini-crossbow of sorts that is capable of more or less all that could be done with darts in previous games, but it’s a nice touch. There’s also a fine selection of weapons to gather and upgrade throughout Paris, so it’s worth taking the time to mooch around and see what you can find.

Assassins-Creed-Unity.jpg

Become the Eagle: poop on a roof.

The real improvement when it comes to stealth gameplay is the ability to crouch. Yes, after almost eight years of Assassin’s Creed games we’re finally being given the ability to bend our digital knees and hide behind objects. It seems like such a trivial thing but its been sorely missed from the series for far too long.

It’s not hard to use either, with the press of a button you’ll be mooching three feet closer to the ground, able to move along low cover and avoiding confrontations when needed. As I said, it’s such a simple thing but why Ubisoft never gave players the full range of movement before I’ll never know, but after years of players complaining (rightfully so,) they’ve bucked and put it in there. Strange, Ubisoft’s other stealth-orientated series Splinter Cell has had a crouch feature since it first released, you’d have thought they’d have taken some cues from master Assassin Sam Fisher…

Well, they did, and not just in the bending of the knees. If you’ve played the last couple of Splinter Cell games then you’ll instantly recognise the ‘last known location’ element that has been incorporated into Assassin’s Creed: Unity. It’s as simple as it sounds; when you’re being pursued you can hide yourself behind object or break the line of sight and you’ll leave behind a faint ghostly image representing your last know location to the guards. No more second guessing where the guards will search for you, now you can steer them away from you as you run for your life.

Side-quests are a welcome distraction should you find yourself not wanting to rush the main story. The many optional side-missions offer different ways to play, with the best of the bunch coming in the form of murder investigations. You can investigate killings throughout Paris and become the Sherlock Holmes that the city needs, or you can simply not bother, your choice.

Personally, I found them to be fun little stories that contained their own narratives, not unlike some of the ‘stranger’ missions found within Red Dead Redemption. Whilst there’s a fair amount of these side-missions, there comes the natural occurrence of repetition. It’s not too bad though, I only noticed it myself as I spent a few hours away from the main campaign to explore the sights of the city and stumbled upon a few quests along the way which I completed one after another. Space them out and you’ll forget that you’re repeating yourself.

acunityreview3.jpg

It’s good with a few mates too, if you have any…

There’s a lot to do away from the main story, not just the side-missions. There’s the usual high points for you to climb in order to synchronise the map, revealing the locations of different missions, stores and more. Another fan-favourite that’s present are the collectibles. Oh yes, many collectibles. I’m nowhere near finishing the collectibles and I don’t think I’ll ever get around to it, I’ve only ever managed to do so in one Assassin’s Creed game and that was Assassin’s Creed II, with the help of an online guide. For those who enjoy the hunt and need to get the Platinum trophy or complete the Achievement list, you’ll be in for a treat. Otherwise it’s not detrimental to the game, you’ll still be able to live a righteous life without them. Just not a complete one.

I haven’t yet had the chance to try out the co-op missions as none of my friends are lucky enough to own the game this far before release and I want only to play with people that I know, lest I deal with the frustration of language barriers or just idiots. So once the game is officially released there will be an update here relating to the gameplay of the much-touted co-op missions that Ubisoft seems ever-so-proud of.

dBoyFresh*212

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
the coli
A lot has been made over the last few weeks about Assassin’s Creed: Unity not running at 60 frames-per-second at 1080p, but guess what? It hardly matters.

Once you’ve reached your first high spot and the camera pans around you, revealing the sprawling city below, you’ll soon forget about resolutions and frame-rates; the game is a beauty.

The inner-city of Paris has been built on a 1:1 scale, if Ubisoft are to be believed. I’m not sure on the accuracy of that statement but I can tell you that the city is huge. Whilst it’s not the entirety of Paris, it’s the part of Paris that matters the most.

Walking through the dirty cobbled streets teeming with NPC’s all going about their business looks fantastic. The amount of detail is phenomenal. Characters trot along side you on their way to wherever they’re going, muttering to themselves or their buddies. The streets truly feel alive with the flavour of France with street vendors peddling their gear, though they end up sounding more like East-End marketeers flogging cheap handbags, thanks to their English accents.

acunityreview8.jpg

Paris always looked lovely, even when it smelt bad.

Characters are well designed and move with the grace of a real person, at times tricking the eye into believing your looking at a moving picture of a real person, though as with all games and their fancy graphics it’s apparent that there’s something not quite real about them.

To truly take in the grandeur of Paris you must take to higher ground. From above the smoking streets filled with scum, peasants, soldiers and the decent folk you’ll be greeted with a view that not many games can boast. The draw distance is impressive as you look out over the city, landmarks clearly visible even though they are fair way away.

The upgraded Anvil engine really does shine on the next-gen consoles (PS4 tested, wasn’t going to spend over £100 on two of the same game, sorry folks!) This is what Ubisoft envisioned for the Anvil engine when it was first used in Assassin’s Creed III and now their vision is here for us to enjoy.

To put it simply, Assassin’s Creed: Unity is not just the best looking Assassin’s Creed game to date, but it is definitely a strong contender for the best looking PS4 (possibly Xbox One?) game available at this time. The visual fidelity is remarkable and the attention to the small details in re-creating Paris circa 1700’s is astonishing to say the least.

acunityreview6.jpg

Dry-cleaners were in big business back then.

There are a few imperfections that you’ll find if you look hard enough, trees in particular, but you really have to look hard to find fault in the games design. Even the indoor sections are littered with time-relevant arts, crafts and decorations that you’ll probably never appreciate as you’re too busy running down the hall to stab some poor fell in the back, but it’s there and the effort is appreciated.

After many hours of gameplay, I’m left satisfied, impressed and for once in a long time, eager for the sequel. If Ubisoft can keep up the current form, albeit with a decent present-day connecting story then I for one will keep on throwing money at them, even if it has to be every year.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity is available from November 11th on PS4, Xbox One and PC. You can pre-order your copy from Amazon and get some exclusive DLC. Sweet!

Scores
  • Story - 8.0/10
    8.0/10
  • Gameplay - 9.5/10
    9.5/10
  • Graphics - 9.0/10
    9.0/10
  • Replay Value - 8.5/10
    8.5/10
  • Sound - 9.0/10