Official Art Thread (painters, fine artists, etc Come In)

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Like Thick Neck said, call/email first and see what you need. They might require charcoal pencil. That's often the traditional figure drawing method. Ask first.

And like we said, carry yourself well when you're in a class full of nothing but cacs. It'll be lonely but you'll make it. Ask questions when you're confused and need some help and you'll do aight.
Damn I have to register online a week before. I’ll be there next time

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
OP don't be too fussed about the medium. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with. Don't make this shyt into a chore or else you won't stay with it. Find what interests you and you'll naturally spend time on it. Do some master copies of the work of your favorite artists if you like--or just skip to your own creations. Don't be intimidated by paint, brushes, blank canvases or panels, knives, names, ideas, movements or anything--all of it is for you to use, or not use, as you wish. If you're not free anywhere else in your life, you can be free in your art.

Enjoy the process. Best wishes.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
Who tryna say you ain't a breh?
A few. :yeshrug:
OP don't be too fussed about the medium. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with. Don't make this shyt into a chore or else you won't stay with it. Find what interests you and you'll naturally spend time on it. Do some master copies of the work of your favorite artists if you like--or just skip to your own creations. Don't be intimidated by paint, brushes, blank canvases or panels, knives, names, ideas, movements or anything--all of it is for you to use, or not use, as you wish. If you're not free anywhere else in your life, you can be free in your art.

I agree. I don't want you to feel like I'm telling you there's only one path with art. Find your own path. But one thing I continually find people do is they get overwhelmed with choices and this obsession with choices ends up makes them stop making stuff. You see this with musicians, photographers, any creative pursuit. Then you go to places like r/guitar and they talk more about gear than they do about playing guitar. In photography circles most people are obsessed with gear and cameras. Explore, by all means. Have fun with it. Pen and a sketchbook is always a good go to and place to start because you can take the shyt anywhere.

A master study is a good suggestion. Those paintings you posted above, Rozay, of your favorites. Try copying them. You will learn a lot.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps

I’m stick to the pen for a bit. Gonna listen to drafts men and doodle. When

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps

I agree. I don't want you to feel like I'm telling you there's only one path with art. Find your own path. But one thing I continually find people do is they get overwhelmed with choices and this obsession with choices ends up makes them stop making stuff. You see this with musicians, photographers, any creative pursuit. Then you go to places like r/guitar and they talk more about gear than they do about playing guitar. In photography circles most people are obsessed with gear and cameras. Explore, by all means. Have fun with it. Pen and a sketchbook is always a good go to and place to start because you can take the shyt anywhere.

A master study is a good suggestion. Those paintings you posted above, Rozay, of your favorites. Try copying them. You will learn a lot.
You're so right. Too many choices can be paralyzing and can lead to procrastination instead of earnest action.

Breh, I've been obsessing for months about four or five potential sets of pickups I want for a guitar I'm putting together. I need to just pick something so I can play the thing. :russ:

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road

Yep. I think all artists all like this in the arts. We all on gear big time vs application.

I know for a fact I can only use 2 oil stick brands and only 2 spray brands...for acrylics, I gotta use Liquitex and Golden. Golden is too expensive tho. Like why yall so expensive?????

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
You're so right. Too many choices can be paralyzing and can lead to procrastination instead of earnest action.

Breh, I've been obsessing for months about four or five potential sets of pickups I want for a guitar I'm putting together. I need to just pick something so I can play the thing. :russ:
It has to be perfect lol. Everything. I won't even make art if my nuts is full.

I gotta have my brand names...I got Designer Paint stains....

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I need to make moves happen to make my career pop. I need formal training. The goal is to make comics, working mostly indie. I want to make a comic label for black comic makers. The comics I want to make are not traditional American comics. They‘re manga and Spanish/French comics influenced. I think America is transitioning away from super hero comics and manga outsells American comics. For the first time in my life I feel like people are catching up to me and where I was twenty years ago when I found that manga was superior to American comics.

I have all these ideas and stories in my head. I gotta get em out. Over time I’ve filtered which ones are good, which ones are bad.

To achieve this, as I said, I need formal training. Texas is a wasteland and a vacuum for talent so I’m taking myself elsewhere. California has the best resources in the nation by far art-wise. Those fukks are spoiled. My second childhood home as a kid was in the bay and the bay has multiple legit ateliers on the cheap cheap. But….I hear so many bad things about the bay these days. I don’t know. I’ll have to visit. On the flip is New Jersey. NJ is home to some good ateliers and is close to the NYC area which I love. It also houses Kubert School which has been a mainstay in American comic art for decades. I’ve reached out to them.

Between NJ and Cali I just don’t know. At one point in time it would be Cali in a heartbeat. NJ has more black folks though and when I gain the skills I definitely plan to pass it on and I’d rather do it in NJ where there’s less support for the arts in contrast with California and I’d much rather teach black kids and adults art in a place that needs it.

Lots to think about.

One thing I've been thinking about is like...is there an audience. What I want to make and what American comic readers want to read. Is there an audience? More and more I'm beginning to think there is but the only true way to know is to try. Manga is so great because you can tell so many different stories. You can have a manga like Beck which is about High School dudes in a band and their life, dropping out of High School (in Japan this would take massive balls) to pursue music. It's not just action and gore, though there's too. I'm interested in making comics for adults point blank and want the comic label to be just about that. More and more I'm convinced there's an audience.

Shout to Otomo, brehs.

bJYPJl9.jpeg

Our 1st attempts be looking so raggedity
She stuck with it. Respect.

Last edited:

God Of Art

Daps
Reppin
I need to make moves happen to make my career pop. I need formal training. The goal is to make comics, working mostly indie. I want to make a comic label for black comic makers. The comics I want to make are not traditional American comics. They‘re manga and Spanish/French comics influenced. I think America is transitioning away from super hero comics and manga outsells American comics. For the first time in my life I feel like people are catching up to me and where I was twenty years ago when I found that manga was superior to American comics.

I have all these ideas and stories in my head. I gotta get em out. Over time I’ve filtered which ones are good, which ones are bad.

To achieve this, as I said, I need formal training. Texas is a wasteland and a vacuum for talent so I’m taking myself elsewhere. California has the best resources in the nation by far art-wise. Those fukks are spoiled. My second childhood home as a kid was in the bay and the bay has multiple legit ateliers on the cheap cheap. But….I hear so many bad things about the bay these days. I don’t know. I’ll have to visit. On the flip is New Jersey. NJ is home to some good ateliers and is close to the NYC area which I love. It also houses Kubert School which has been a mainstay in American comic art for decades. I’ve reached out to them.

Between NJ and Cali I just don’t know. At one point in time it would be Cali in a heartbeat. NJ has more black folks though and when I gain the skills I definitely plan to pass it on and I’d rather do it in NJ where there’s less support for the arts in contrast with California and I’d much rather teach black kids and adults art in a place that needs it.

Lots to think about.

She stuck with it. Respect.
Manga isn't better than American Comics....not at all....they are the same TBT.

Best bet is to contact a comm cent. Or com college and see about classes in illustration