[Official] Apple announces streaming event for October 18, 2021. 10am PDT/ 1 pm EST

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Do you have to pay for a full windows license to dual boot?

I need a new laptop but I still want to have windows for full functional excel and stuff
I don't have any as Windows was preinstalled with Parallels. I do have the Activation message at times however it has not prevented me to fully use it.

Also Excel and plenty other softwares have a Mac versions. Granted it's not always the 100% full featured Windows version.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
I don't have any as Windows was preinstalled with Parallels. I do have the Activation message at times however it has not prevented me to fully use it.

Also Excel and plenty other softwares have a Mac versions. Granted it's not always the 100% full featured Windows version.

Yeah I want the full featured versions not the slightly gimped

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
New M2 MBPs announced today

(might as well make this thread the official Mac thread)

the M1 pro/max MBP's released in 2021 were the GOAT laptops I've ever used. the M2 pro/max MBP's appear to be slightly better. I'm not gonna upgrade a laptop I've only had 14 months tho. I still love this thing.

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
the M1 pro/max MBP's released in 2021 were the GOAT laptops I've ever used. the M2 pro/max MBP's appear to be slightly better. I'm not gonna upgrade a laptop I've only had 14 months tho. I still love this thing.
Yeah I'm 100% satisfied with my M1 Pro as well, I have no need to upgrade probably until the M4

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
New HomePods. Definitely didn’t expect this. I got 2 of the OGs and I love them.

This gotta be the first song you play

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
New HomePods. Definitely didn’t expect this. I got 2 of the OGs and I love them.

after months of searching for a reasonably priced OG homepod (I have 3 mini's), I FINALLY got one last week for $200. people were charging $250-$400 typically.

I'm not sure if I will get this or not tho. it has less speakers inside than the OG. it does have a better CPU obviously though.

I could wait until people start buying these and cop it for the low when used ones are available.

the only thing I don't like with the OG homepod is that it won't form a pair with a mini, which the new one can do apparently.

I recently got smart lights for my birthday from my GF, and with 4 homepods, I'm using siri all the time to turn on lights, turn on tv's (apple tv's will turn on the tv).

Last edited:

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
after months of searching for a reasonably priced OG homepod (I have 3 mini's), I FINALLY got one last week for $200. people were charging $250-$400 typically.

I'm not sure if I will get this or not tho. it has less speakers inside than the OG. it does have a better CPU obviously though.

Yeah I grabbed mine when they had that price drop right before they discontinued them. They were really out here selling for double the retail price so you lucked up.

I could live without the temp sensor if they put in more speakers. I think it’s 2 less speakers and tweeters than the OG.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Yeah I grabbed mine when they had that price drop right before they discontinued them. They were really out here selling for double the retail price so you lucked up.

I could live without the temp sensor if they put in more speakers. I think it’s 2 less speakers and tweeters than the OG.

yup look. I will have to hear the new one first before I buy one. hopefully this drops the price on the OG ones. I'd buy another OG if I can get one for like $100 in a second.

KUbHqNh.jpg

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
yup look. I will have to hear the new one first before I buy one. hopefully this drops the price on the OG ones. I'd buy another OG if I can get one for like $100 in a second.

KUbHqNh.jpg
Definitely would cop an old one. The handoff feature is a bit slow sometimes but the automations run smoothly for lights and other accessories.

Are those the new ATVs?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Definitely would cop an old one. The handoff feature is a bit slow sometimes but the automations run smoothly for lights and other accessories.

Are those the new ATVs?

I have one newest apple tv with the USB-C

I have another 2021 apple tv with the new remote with lightning

the other two are the apple tv's with the old siri remote. one is 4K, one is HD.

the HD one is in my kitchen on a little ass tv I rarely watch, but since it works well, I wasn't gonna throw it away.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Use Parallels, that has been working flawlessly for me thus far on my M1. But you can only run Windows 11 on ARM macs though.

What programs do you run in parallels? I have the base m1 MacBook Air and ran arcGIS and it struggled In parallels, not surprised. I’m looking to buy the m2 pro and don‘t know if I should buy the base model or upgrade the 14’s ram to 32 or upgrade the cores to 12/19. When the air rendered basic maps with small sets of data it struggled, again. No surprise. I had the rog g14 with 16 gb ram and it was able to do what i needed it to do no problem. I got rid of it because i was carrying around 2 computers. Will the base model of the m2 14 inch be enough to run parallels with an 8 and 8 split?

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
What programs do you run in parallels? I have the base m1 MacBook Air and ran arcGIS and it struggled In parallels, not surprised. I’m looking to buy the m2 pro and don‘t know if I should buy the base model or upgrade the 14’s ram to 32 or upgrade the cores to 12/19. When the air rendered basic maps with small sets of data it struggled, again. No surprise. I had the rog g14 with 16 gb ram and it was able to do what i needed it to do no problem. I got rid of it because i was carrying around 2 computers. Will the base model of the m2 14 inch be enough to run parallels with an 8 and 8 split?
I mostly use Revit in Parallels and it's quite smooth for me for what I do. Could be smoother obviously but it's fine enough. First I had the M1 base model with 16gb but when I saw it was eating like 10gb with Sketchup and Photoshop, I returned it and got a 32gb ram version for more comfort (and a bigger hole in my pockets:mjcry: )

Not a GIS guy but I went on ArcGIS website and they recommend 32gb of ram for ArcGIS Pro. Air also isnt in the performance oriented lane so it would have always struggled if you were doing more than basic work with it. Also if you get your VM 32gb you would need more RAM than that and the next step for a MBP is 64gb but it's the Max version

So it's up to you whether you choose a 32gb Pro or a 64gb Max. I think doing a 16/16 split could work if you were good with 16gb on your Win laptop. I read that some people do struggle with huge datasets or complex queries so if that's your line of work, you may need more. For CPUs, you should be good with the base case.

Last thing, Parallels have different products and you are limited to 8gb for a VM in the Standard version. If you want to assign more than that, you'll need their Pro version.

BlaccSunrise

Superstar
Daps
I have one newest apple tv with the USB-C

I have another 2021 apple tv with the new remote with lightning

the other two are the apple tv's with the old siri remote. one is 4K, one is HD.

the HD one is in my kitchen on a little ass tv I rarely watch, but since it works well, I wasn't gonna throw it away.
Copped the latest Apple Tv box last week, and my favorite thing about it is the metal remote :banderas:

Feels so nice and solid in my hand :dame:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I mostly use Revit in Parallels and it's quite smooth for me for what I do. Could be smoother obviously but it's fine enough. First I had the M1 base model with 16gb but when I saw it was eating like 10gb with Sketchup and Photoshop, I returned it and got a 32gb ram version for more comfort (and a bigger hole in my pockets:mjcry: )

Not a GIS guy but I went on ArcGIS website and they recommend 32gb of ram for ArcGIS Pro. Air also isnt in the performance oriented lane so it would have always struggled if you were doing more than basic work with it. Also if you get your VM 32gb you would need more RAM than that and the next step for a MBP is 64gb but it's the Max version

So it's up to you whether you choose a 32gb Pro or a 64gb Max. I think doing a 16/16 split could work if you were good with 16gb on your Win laptop. I read that some people do struggle with huge datasets or complex queries so if that's your line of work, you may need more. For CPUs, you should be good with the base case.

Last thing, Parallels have different products and you are limited to 8gb for a VM in the Standard version. If you want to assign more than that, you'll need their Pro version.
Thanks for replying.

I don’t do anything crazy in GIS. I use it for things I can handle in house.

I’m supposed to pass all the work to our GIS manager but he’s so slow to respond and doesn’t make surveys the way I want so I taught myself to do what I need.

I got good enough at it that my division allows me to bypass him.

I would be able to manage large projects but that would require the company to purchase my new computer, I can’t justify 64gb out my own pocket but I can 32 to make life a lot easier.

Kinda off topic, I thought the new silicon chips performed above their weight class. I thought for example, 8gb silicone chips performed like 10gbs. I’m making up numbers to drive the point home. Is this not true?