Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I watched bout 5 minutes of that game. And part of it was the lions td drive with all penalty yards. I said yup they gonna fukk up the draft pick :pachaha:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Keeping Goff is a major gamble but I'm starting to lean towards it again. Bears aren't a good team but their offense is potent, and Goff went on the road and did enough for the W. Very few mistakes, no turnovers, multiple big plays. We can package our two 1st round picks to move up and take a top QB sure. I advocated for it pretty recently. But there's this nagging thought in my mind that you use those picks to beef up this defense, expect Jameson Williams to be That Guy, draft an RB, etc...and try to win the division. And spend in FA to shore up obvious holes, like LB.

The Lions could fall into a situation where we can draft two of the following: Will Anderson, Jalen Carter, and/or Myles Murphy. Immediately turning your d-line into one of the top ones in the league.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Kupp out a while. Stafford having concussions with that shytty line. Kelly coming out calling out NFL about his concussion. Don’t make sense to put Stafford back out there to take a beating. Rams might as well just mail it in and get healthy for next year :lolbron:

They legit might get us a top 5 pick.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Keeping Goff is a major gamble but I'm starting to lean towards it again. Bears aren't a good team but their offense is potent, and Goff went on the road and did enough for the W. Very few mistakes, no turnovers, multiple big plays. We can package our two 1st round picks to move up and take a top QB sure. I advocated for it pretty recently. But there's this nagging thought in my mind that you use those picks to beef up this defense, expect Jameson Williams to be That Guy, draft an RB, etc...and try to win the division. And spend in FA to shore up obvious holes, like LB.

The Lions could fall into a situation where we can draft two of the following: Will Anderson, Jalen Carter, and/or Myles Murphy. Immediately turning your d-line into one of the top ones in the league.
I don't know why we keep talking about 2 first like it's enough to move up for a franchise QB. There's no guarantee the raiders, broncos, packers, Houston, or Carolina don't end up in the first 2 spots. whatever the price is to move up, it's not worth it if one of those teams falls into the first 2 spots. Goff is our guy until we know we're in the position to control our own destiny or until Jacksonville, or Philly with the Saints pick falls in that spot. If we need to move up we need to run it back with Goff.

Fixing the defense is the only priority IMO. I don't care about running backs or anything like that. Jeff Wilson was just had for nothing, came in, and is a difference-maker in Miami. With our o-line, anyone can be swifts replacement if we choose to move on from him. Elisha Mitchell came in last night and outplayed Mccaffery. Good backs are easy to find. Kareem Hunt can be had in the offseason if moving on from swift is that serious.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI

Problem with Goff isn’t his play. He’s a solid mid tier QB that you can win with. Problem is his salary. He’s due to make $30mil next year. If lions cut or trade him they get $20 mil in cap space. That’s multiple defensive starters money. Lions could sign a vet QB like Rush or Bridgewater for fraction of cost without a huge drop off from Goff and still draft future QB

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't know why we keep talking about 2 first like it's enough to move up for a franchise QB. There's no guarantee the raiders, broncos, packers, Houston, or Carolina don't end up in the first 2 spots. whatever the price is to move up, it's not worth it if one of those teams falls into the first 2 spots. Goff is our guy until we know we're in the position to control our own destiny or until Jacksonville, or Philly with the Saints pick falls in that spot. If we need to move up we need to run it back with Goff.

Fixing the defense is the only priority IMO. I don't care about running backs or anything like that. Jeff Wilson was just had for nothing, came in, and is a difference-maker in Miami. With our o-line, anyone can be swifts replacement if we choose to move on from him. Elisha Mitchell came in last night and outplayed Mccaffery. Good backs are easy to find. Kareem Hunt can be had in the offseason if moving on from swift is that serious.

True but the way this is shaping up, there will be multiple teams in the top 5 who don't need a QB. Philly has the 4th pick right now. Howie would definitely trade down for more picks lol. What if the Steelers are in the top 2-3...they aren't drafting a QB, might trade down. Bears are at 3 wins too and may be on the way down. Given Brad Holmes' tendency to trade in division with teams that have a black GM who knows lol. I'm not saying I want to trade up, I'm just saying the option will probably be there.

I didn't know the Rams' injury situation until @djthegreat88 post. Given that is it outrageous to suggest the Rams bomb out and give us a top 5 pick? If we end up at say...#4 and #10. All of a sudden you're prob looking at Will Anderson (or Jalen Carter) and whoever the next best defensive player available is. Sure you can trade up with that haul but I'd rather bolster the defense in that situation. You maintain your offense next year and add elite draft talent to Hutch/Alim/Paschal, get another starting CB, bolster LBs via free agency and you legit might have a contending quality roster.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps

U talkin about the same bears that’s last in the league in passing and whole offense is Justin fields running.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Think lions will be crazy aggressive in FA next offseason. No matter what there record is the pressure will be on Holmes and Campbell to win now. Especially Campbell. I don’t think Campbell cares for Goff that much. He has called Goff out multiple times this year for his TOs. A rookie QB does give them a little leeway

Defensively they need a linebacker capable of covering to replace Anzalone, DT that can pass rush, a speed rushing edge, another corner opposite Okudah. If they address these needs in FA I wouldn’t mind packaging the 2 first to get the QB they want

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
True but the way this is shaping up, there will be multiple teams in the top 5 who don't need a QB. Philly has the 4th pick right now. Howie would definitely trade down for more picks lol. What if the Steelers are in the top 2-3...they aren't drafting a QB, might trade down. Bears are at 3 wins too and may be on the way down. Given Brad Holmes' tendency to trade in division with teams that have a black GM who knows lol. I'm not saying I want to trade up, I'm just saying the option will probably be there.

I didn't know the Rams' injury situation until @djthegreat88 post. Given that is it outrageous to suggest the Rams bomb out and give us a top 5 pick? If we end up at say...#4 and #10. All of a sudden you're prob looking at Will Anderson (or Jalen Carter) and whoever the next best defensive player available is. Sure you can trade up with that haul but I'd rather bolster the defense in that situation. You maintain your offense next year and add elite draft talent to Hutch/Alim/Paschal, get another starting CB, bolster LBs via free agency and you legit might have a contending quality roster.

I agree with most of what you say but if I’m the Steelers, I haven’t seen anything from Pickett to suggest he’s the future.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them move on from him if they land in the top 2 spots. Rosen got canned in a year. I don’t think moving on from a mistake is as hard as it used to be.

And I try to put myself in the shoes of a qb needy team when trying to project the trade cost.

Assuming we need a qb and we’re in the position to draft our qb of the future, what’s the acceptable return for the lions to trade out of the top 2 spots?

I’m not arguing, I’m curious. What does that package look like to you or anyone else in here?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I agree with most of what you say but if I’m the Steelers, I haven’t seen anything from Pickett to suggest he’s the future.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them move on from him if they land in the top 2 spots. Rosen got canned in a year. I don’t think moving on from a mistake is as hard as it used to be.

And I try to put myself in the shoes of a qb needy team when trying to project the trade cost.

Assuming we need a qb and we’re in the position to draft our qb of the future, what’s the acceptable return for the lions to trade out of the top 2 spots?

I’m not arguing, I’m curious. What does that package look like to you or anyone else in here?

Here's a trade value chart

2nd pick: 2600 points. Looks like it would cost a fortune to move up for a team that doesn't have two 1st round picks.

If the Lions end up with the #2 pick I would only consider trading down if it was clear that I could still get Will Anderson/Jalen Carter/Myles Murphy. For instance lets say the draft order is...

1. Las Vegas
2. Detroit
3. Houston
4. New Orleans (Philadelphia)
5. Carolina

I'm assuming Vegas would take a QB. Houston will take a QB too. So if another team wants a shot at whoever is left between Stroud and Young they'd have to call us. The danger of course is that Philly is almost certainly gonna take the best defensive player on the board, likely Will Anderson. Do you stay at #2 to take him, or do you trade down and get a bounty of picks while risking out on losing Anderson? Trading down to #5 and getting Jalen Carter certainly wouldn't make me cry or anything but man...the idea of Hutch and Anderson on the d-line......
:wow: