Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Down to two coaching openings left. Lot of smoke says Ben Johnson is going to Washington. Seems like Aaron Glenn will be back in Detroit next season. Hopefully we get him the pieces he needs because the last 5-6 weeks have shown how much promise this scheme has.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
We not getting the diversity 3rd rd pick with Johnson, we gotta get Glenn a unit next year. He getting held back

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Down to two coaching openings left. Lot of smoke says Ben Johnson is going to Washington. Seems like Aaron Glenn will be back in Detroit next season. Hopefully we get him the pieces he needs because the last 5-6 weeks have shown how much promise this scheme has.
Yeah, I see the vision now with what he would like to do. If he has a real #1 corner that can be somewhat effective in single coverage against the real #1's and allow Sutton to slide over to #2, and a live body opposite of Hutch, this defense has the potential to actually be nasty. Glenn wants to call more man coverage with some exotic blitzes, especially with the safeties we got, but if they get to throw with Sutton on that island :patrice:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
How we feeling brehs.

I felt very confident against the Rams and Bucs. Tomorrow we face a team that's simply better than us so there's no room for error. Niners are prob the second best team in the league, their offense is scary, their defense is really good, etc. But they aren't an elite team (like the Ravens) and have some obvious flaws we can exploit. First off they struggle against outside zone runs. Gibbs is a top 5 back at that, and I think he's gonna embarrass Chase Young all night running past that edge. I also think Montgomery can run between the tackles on them

Second, their secondary isn't particularly good. They get a lot of PI flags and one of their CBs gets beat a lot. If ever their was a game to unleash the playbook and go crazy with Jamo it's this one. We have to challenge them downfield IF Goff has time to throw. That's gonna open up the run game even more by pushing the safeties back.

Finally...stop the run. I think we can do it man. If you stop CMC you can go after Purdy. Trent Williams is elite but their other tackle is meh, and Hutch will be going after him. Their interior o-line isn't great either. The other key on defense is gonna be Branch. Kyle Hamilton fukked Purdy up all game a few weeks ago and Branch can do a lot of the same things. If he's able to get into the backfield, stuffing CMC or pressuring Purdy, we can win.

Concerns? Interior o-line. This team has fallen apart whenever Jonah Jackson doesn't play. Granted he was out for much of last week's game and the offense started rolling but if that's an outlier we could be in trouble from the beginning. The Lions HAVE to start hot in this game. Going down 10-0 or 14-0 would be a death sentence., so they can't afford to waste drives. Goff getting pressured too much in the interior or being forced into bad turnovers would kill us. If he can stay clean in the pocket we have a shot. I personally think the Niners will BUT...I see a path, gentlemen. That's all you can hope for.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
How we feeling brehs.

I felt very confident against the Rams and Bucs. Tomorrow we face a team that's simply better than us so there's no room for error. Niners are prob the second best team in the league, their offense is scary, their defense is really good, etc. But they aren't an elite team (like the Ravens) and have some obvious flaws we can exploit. First off they struggle against outside zone runs. Gibbs is a top 5 back at that, and I think he's gonna embarrass Chase Young all night running past that edge. I also think Montgomery can run between the tackles on them

Second, their secondary isn't particularly good. They get a lot of PI flags and one of their CBs gets beat a lot. If ever their was a game to unleash the playbook and go crazy with Jamo it's this one. We have to challenge them downfield IF Goff has time to throw. That's gonna open up the run game even more by pushing the safeties back.

Finally...stop the run. I think we can do it man. If you stop CMC you can go after Purdy. Trent Williams is elite but their other tackle is meh, and Hutch will be going after him. Their interior o-line isn't great either. The other key on defense is gonna be Branch. Kyle Hamilton fukked Purdy up all game a few weeks ago and Branch can do a lot of the same things. If he's able to get into the backfield, stuffing CMC or pressuring Purdy, we can win.

Concerns? Interior o-line. This team has fallen apart whenever Jonah Jackson doesn't play. Granted he was out for much of last week's game and the offense started rolling but if that's an outlier we could be in trouble from the beginning. The Lions HAVE to start hot in this game. Going down 10-0 or 14-0 would be a death sentence., so they can't afford to waste drives. Goff getting pressured too much in the interior or being forced into bad turnovers would kill us. If he can stay clean in the pocket we have a shot. I personally think the Niners will BUT...I see a path, gentlemen. That's all you can hope for.
The only thing I'll say about the run defense is LA and Tampa both had good averages but were playing from behind the entire time so they never stuck with the run. I know it's been the one strength of the defense all season but it's been shaky in the postseason.

The #1 thing is getting out to an early lead and hopefully being up at the half. All the pressure is on Santa Clara and Purdy.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The only thing I'll say about the run defense is LA and Tampa both had good averages but were playing from behind the entire time so they never stuck with the run. I know it's been the one strength of the defense all season but it's been shaky in the postseason.

The #1 thing is getting out to an early lead and hopefully being up at the half. All the pressure is on Santa Clara and Purdy.
It’s possible they had good averages because stopping the run is no longer a point of emphasis when we’re ahead. Who know? We’ll find out soon

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Weather is gonna be perfect with no wind. Was hoping for some elements since Purdy struggles in them.

Daps

Attended the infamous Fire Millen game, and this energy is great to see and feel for the city.

I became a casual fan over the years, but I feel good about this game today. :blessed: