Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm listening to the PFF dudes recapping the game and still talking positional value lmao. Dude is literally arguing because the other best RBs in the draft were a 4th down (Achane) and undrafted guy (Keaton Mitchell), the Lions fukked up by taking an RB in the first round. So does that apply to Puka? Should be stop drafting WRs early because you can just find a guy in the 6th round? It's the most asinine logic imaginable from the biggest idiots in this sport.

You draft guys who help you teams now or in the future. The Gibbs pick, especially after trading down to 12, made sense. It elevated the offense and he has now played a significant role in MAJOR victories including the playoffs. If you want to argue we could/should have taken Kalijah Kancey at 18 instead of Campbell I'll listen to you. Personally I wanted a CB there, but Gonzales went right before our pick to the Patriots. And all that being said I still think Jack Campbell is gonna be really good eventually. LBs take time, as we saw from Barnes hitting his stride this year.

Lets not forget the positional value argument was also used against LaPorta and even Branch in the second round. The idea that you need to take guys you don't need, or WORSE players because they're "more important" is laughable. These guys elevated our team and will only get better. LaPorta, Gibbs, and Branch will all be in the conversation for best player at their position next season. If you can't agree that's an insane hit rate I dunno what to tell you.
I remember saying this during the draft.

The analytics crowd took an L this year. There’s a place for it but it’s just a tool. Analytics people talk about their takes like it’s law.

Being good at football and wanting to stay good at football matters more than anything else. Filling your roster with talent instead of potential is another key. Finally getting good at a position that is important to your teams identity is more important than getting better at a position of value. This is where the models lose me.

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I'm listening to the PFF dudes recapping the game and still talking positional value lmao. Dude is literally arguing because the other best RBs in the draft were a 4th down (Achane) and undrafted guy (Keaton Mitchell), the Lions fukked up by taking an RB in the first round. So does that apply to Puka? Should be stop drafting WRs early because you can just find a guy in the 6th round? It's the most asinine logic imaginable from the biggest idiots in this sport.

You draft guys who help you teams now or in the future. The Gibbs pick, especially after trading down to 12, made sense. It elevated the offense and he has now played a significant role in MAJOR victories including the playoffs. If you want to argue we could/should have taken Kalijah Kancey at 18 instead of Campbell I'll listen to you. Personally I wanted a CB there, but Gonzales went right before our pick to the Patriots. And all that being said I still think Jack Campbell is gonna be really good eventually. LBs take time, as we saw from Barnes hitting his stride this year.

Lets not forget the positional value argument was also used against LaPorta and even Branch in the second round. The idea that you need to take guys you don't need, or WORSE players because they're "more important" is laughable. These guys elevated our team and will only get better. LaPorta, Gibbs, and Branch will all be in the conversation for best player at their position next season. If you can't agree that's an insane hit rate I dunno what to tell you.
Yeah you can't take those dudes serious cause they have a skewed view of team building. I listen to it cause I love football and they do have some alternative perspectives that you can value but at the end of the day, what makes those guys experts? They're just random cats on the internet. One of them was a fukking rugby coach and the other guy was a washed up minor league pitcher.

WMG the 2nd

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Anybody questioning Brad Holmes draft picks is a hater

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

"Draft good players that will make a consistent impact on your team" should be the primary focus. I understand the theory of positional value, but it matters nil if the players aren't good. Then this idea of just "finding" the player you want in later rounds or as an undrafted player is some way and routine task is a delusion. Sure you can get a productive player, or make them productive by catering to their specific skillset, but the likelihood of finding the player you want diminishes the further you go down the draft as your competing more and more with other teams. Find your guy and get them. Don't hope your guy is around later if you have the means to get him now and it makes sense. And all positions are not valued the same among all teams. Schemes matter. So once you see it work with astounding results with one, why still argue against it.

And I watched it too and in general like to hear what they say as I'm more into analysis vs narrative most of the time, but this is one they should have let go instead of trying to keep defending their stance.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
I remember saying this during the draft.

The analytics crowd took an L this year. There’s a place for it but it’s just a tool. Analytics people talk about their takes like it’s law.

Being good at football and wanting to stay good at football matters more than anything else. Filling your roster with talent instead of potential is another key. Finally getting good at a position that is important to your teams identity is more important than getting better at a position of value. This is where the models lose me.
Bingo. The positional value guys always seem to ignore that part.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Yeah you can't take those dudes serious cause they have a skewed view of team building. I listen to it cause I love football and they do have some alternative perspectives that you can value but at the end of the day, what makes those guys experts? They're just random cats on the internet. One of them was a fukking rugby coach and the other guy was a washed up minor league pitcher.

Yup lol. That rubgy dude is like 4'5 tall, shytting on Vita Vea for not being dominant on every snap. Anyone with a brain who watched yesterday saw him having an epic battle with Ragnow. He won some snaps, Ragnow won some snaps. You expect that from two elite players going 1v1. The idea that he's supposed to just dominate because he's big and strong is the perfect example of these guys focusing more on numbers than actual film.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
"Draft good players that will make a consistent impact on your team" should be the primary focus. I understand the theory of positional value, but it matters nil if the players aren't good. Then this idea of just "finding" the player you want in later rounds or as an undrafted player is some way and routine task is a delusion. Sure you can get a productive player, or make them productive by catering to their specific skillset, but the likelihood of finding the player you want diminishes the further you go down the draft as your competing more and more with other teams. Find your guy and get them. Don't hope your guy is around later if you have the means to get him now and it makes sense. And all positions are not valued the same among all teams. Schemes matter. So once you see it work with astounding results with one, why still argue against it.

And I watched it too and in general like to hear what they say as I'm more into analysis vs narrative most of the time, but this is one they should have let go instead of trying to keep defending their stance.
All of this.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It's amazing how every year has seen somebody from a previous draft class emerge as a contributor, or take that next step. Last season it was Alim making us realize oh shyt, he could be really good. This season it's been Iffy. Next season it'll probably be Jack Campbell. All of those guys seem very much focused on getting better. During the offseason we got all those stories about Alim changing his diet, losing fat and gaining muscle. We all saw the stories about St Brown training like a mad man. There were stories about Derek Barnes taking the next leap, which turned out to be true. If your young guys aren't getting better, your team is gonna fail eventually. We saw that with Caldwell, who had some elite players but very few guys were ever able to step up and help them win.

Feels good knowing we have guys here who want to be great, work hard, and have the coaches in place to develop them. Lord knows we need it because Green Bay isn't playing around. Chicago isn't playing around either.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
What gives me a little optimism about this 49ers game is Detroit hasn't played their best yet in the playoffs, particularly on offense. Green Bay was moving the ball at will but failed to finish in the red zone. This team is due for a 40 point outburst where they're clicking on all cylinders for four quarters.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm considering putting money on the Lions. Only watched the Lions on RedZone, Prime Time (including playoff) games.

Schematically, if Deebo plays, how will the Lions mitigate the 49er's pass offense?

What's the Lions answer for:
-Kittle
-Ayuik
-CmC - running and passing

Last edited:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm considering putting money on the Lions. Only watched the Lions on RedZone, Prime Time (including playoff) games.

Schematically, if Deebo plays, how will the Lions mitigate the 49er's pass offense?

What's the Lions answer for:
-Kittle
-Ayuik
-CmC - running and passing
We “try to be great” at one thing on defense so we dedicate our efforts to stopping the run. CMC will have a successful day if he can gash us but I don’t see him consistently getting 4-5 yards on 20 carries.

We won’t do anything to stop the pass. They will likely throw for 300+ but we will measure our success based on turnovers and sacks.