Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'm considering putting money on the Lions. Only watched the Lions on RedZone, Prime Time (including playoff) games.

Schematically, if Deebo plays, how will the Lions mitigate the 49er's pass offense?

What's the Lions answer for:
-Kittle
-Ayuik
-CmC - running and passing

Honestly if Deebo plays I don't see him finishing the game. He got hurt twice last week, which suggests to me he came in banged up and re-aggravated it. It'll happen again when he gets popped on Sunday.

Lions entire defense is built around stopping the run. Does that mean they magically stop CMC and a great Niners o-line? No but this defense doesn't give up 100 yards to any RB. If the Lions are able to stop the run they have a shot. Both the Niners and Lions are built to sustain and hold leads. Neither team is good at come backs. They want to pound the ball, make explosive plays in the passing game, and run out the clock. Niners are clearly the better team but given how similar they are in ideology I think we have a shot.

Niners have a great tackle in Trent Williams but the other one isn't great. I think Aiden Hutchinson can rattle Purdy, and our DBs will be blitzing him. Will we give up huge plays to Ayuik and Kittle? Yea. But we're been giving up those plays for the last 5 games and have held teams under 25 points (including explosive offenses from Dallas, LA, and Tampa).

I'm not confident going into this game but I feel we have a shot. Green Bay showed us the blueprint.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We “try to be great” at one thing on defense so we dedicate our efforts to stopping the run. CMC will have a successful day if he can gash us but I don’t see him consistently getting 4-5 yards on 20 carries.

We won’t do anything to stop the pass. They will likely throw for 300+ but we will measure our success based on turnovers and sacks.
More recently y'all DBs were getting cooked by Evans, Puka, Jefferson (2x), and Lamb.

Rooting for the Lions but nervous for y'all on defense.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Breh, for the first time in years this past weekend I busted out this hat

lions.gif

These gotta be the warmest fukkin hats of all time :mjlol:. Fleece lining and all. Made me feel like George Costanza with the sable hat. I see why they're the NFL sidelines cold weather hats for sure

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly if Deebo plays I don't see him finishing the game. He got hurt twice last week, which suggests to me he came in banged up and re-aggravated it. It'll happen again when he gets popped on Sunday.

Lions entire defense is built around stopping the run. Does that mean they magically stop CMC and a great Niners o-line? No but this defense doesn't give up 100 yards to any RB. If the Lions are able to stop the run they have a shot. Both the Niners and Lions are built to sustain and hold leads. Neither team is good at come backs. They want to pound the ball, make explosive plays in the passing game, and run out the clock. Niners are clearly the better team but given how similar they are in ideology I think we have a shot.

Niners have a great tackle in Trent Williams but the other one isn't great. I think Aiden Hutchinson can rattle Purdy, and our DBs will be blitzing him. Will we give up huge plays to Ayuik and Kittle? Yea. But we're been giving up those plays for the last 5 games and have held teams under 25 points (including explosive offenses from Dallas, LA, and Tampa).

I'm not confident going into this game but I feel we have a shot. Green Bay showed us the blueprint.

I agree with collapsing the pocket, especially since the 49'ers interior o-line is their weakpoint

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay

I wouldnt blitz if I were your DC. purdy is good against blitzes. try to get pressure with four, hutch should destroy mckivitz. realistically niners should chip hutch but kyle doesnt like to chip often for whatever reason

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What gives me a little optimism about this 49ers game is Detroit hasn't played their best yet in the playoffs, particularly on offense. Green Bay was moving the ball at will but failed to finish in the red zone. This team is due for a 40 point outburst where they're clicking on all cylinders for four quarters.

Their first half against the Rams was as good as they've looked all yr on offense. If they do that in the 1st half Sunday they should win

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I wouldnt blitz if I were your DC. purdy is good against blitzes. try to get pressure with four, hutch should destroy mckivitz. realistically niners should chip hutch but kyle doesnt like to chip often for whatever reason

We have to blitz or else it's gonna be Hutch with no help. Purdy will beat it sure, but our safeties are good enough to create some negative plays as well. If Hutch can win some 1 on 1s and enough blitzes get home to create pressure, it could be interesting. I've heard your interior o-line isn't great but I dunno if that's true or not. If there's a weakness there, maybe Alim McNeill can wreck some havoc

Basically the defense needs to get off the field just enough to give our offense a shot. My fear is since we'll have a backup guard, you guys are gonna pressure the fukk out of Goff up the middle and shut down the passing game.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We have to blitz or else it's gonna be Hutch with no help. Purdy will beat it sure, but our safeties are good enough to create some negative plays as well. If Hutch can win some 1 on 1s and enough blitzes get home to create pressure, it could be interesting. I've heard your interior o-line isn't great but I dunno if that's true or not. If there's a weakness there, maybe Alim McNeill can wreck some havoc

Basically the defense needs to get off the field just enough to give our offense a shot. My fear is since we'll have a backup guard, you guys are gonna pressure the fukk out of Goff up the middle and shut down the passing game.

Gibbs is going to eat off the edge....their run defense ain't all that
Lions will not be an issue.

This game is going to be all about the Lions pass defense

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay

thats my main key for winning this on defense for us
armstead and hargrave and some bosa stunts and even some chase rushes inside...yall have your LG out and Ragnow whos playing not at 100%

yall should just stretch the D out horizontally :dame: with your playmakers. get Gibbs in space with wideouts running clear outs. get st brown in pick plays

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Gibbs is going to eat off the edge....their run defense ain't all that
Lions will not be an issue.

This game is going to be all about the Lions pass defense

Yea Gibbs is gonna have Chase Young in a blender.

I hope this is the game where we whip out some two back sets, especially with the guard issue. Having Monty back there for protection isn't a bad idea.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I've been in Washington going on nine years now. Whenever I wore Lions gear in the past everyone ignored me. Now, everywhere I go I have people stopping me to say "go Lions" or "we're pulling for you." It's so wild. :pachaha:

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea Gibbs is gonna have Chase Young in a blender.

I hope this is the game where we whip out some two back sets, especially with the guard issue. Having Monty back there for protection isn't a bad idea.

The easiest path to a Lions victory:
Limit the amount of 49’ers offensive possessions with a bruising, slow, methodical run game