Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
32 carries is ridiculous sure, but then again if you put Gibbs in during those last couple drives and he gets hurt everyone is gonna be saying "why was Gibbs in the game." I'm not gonna really complain yet, we're 3-1. But I'm seeing zero "weapon" from him right now. Not due to lack of talent. He averaged 5 yards a carry tonight. He's legit and needs more carries but again...3-1.
3-1 isn't a good enough excuse for the coaches when everyone sees how Miami is unleashing their cheetahs. If Jamo comes back and is decoy status again, the coaches need to explain why, because this isn't gonna get it done against the best teams in the playoffs. Use your weapons.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
bleacherreport.com/articles/10091408-dan-campbell-brad-holmes-have-built-a-lions-team-to-challenge-49ers-eagles-in-nfc

:wow:

Put a www in front if you want to read. Was treating the article like it was a video
The media is a total roller coaster ride. Lose to the Seahawks and all the hype deflates beat the Packers and snap back to the hype again.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
3-1 isn't a good enough excuse for the coaches when everyone sees how Miami is unleashing their cheetahs. If Jamo comes back and is decoy status again, the coaches need to explain why, because this isn't gonna get it done against the best teams in the playoffs. Use your weapons.

He's on pace for over 700 yards rushing, which is basically where I assumed he'd be after the draft. My issue is his utilization in the pass game. We heard all this stuff about his route running and abuse of LBs in the joint practices yet they aren't doing shyt. I don't get it either but I can only assume his role will increase. Especially once Jamo comes back. At that point, someone in the slot is gonna be constantly open. Do you take Amon Ra, LaPorta, or Gibbs? Those dudes are gonna feast.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Brad Holmes man...can't say it enough. You build through the draft and then you fill in gaps with FA. The majority of this team's young core are drafted players who are balling the fukk out. Whether it's the great players like Hutch and Branch, or even late round guys like Chase Lucas making special teams plays. I remember when we used to constantly sign bad role players in FA for special teams roles. Getting those guys for cheap on a 2-4 year contract in the draft frees up so much cap space. It also builds team chemistry when (nearly) everyone has a role.

Alim McNeill has been balling the fukk out. If this team can get consistent interior pressure, like the last two games, it completely changes the defense. Suddenly you've got QBs falling into the laps of our pass rush guys on the edge.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Brad Holmes man...can't say it enough. You build through the draft and then you fill in gaps with FA. The majority of this team's young core are drafted players who are balling the fukk out. Whether it's the great players like Hutch and Branch, or even late round guys like Chase Lucas making special teams plays. I remember when we used to constantly sign bad role players in FA for special teams roles. Getting those guys for cheap on a 2-4 year contract in the draft frees up so much cap space. It also builds team chemistry when (nearly) everyone has a role.

Alim McNeill has been balling the fukk out. If this team can get consistent interior pressure, like the last two games, it completely changes the defense. Suddenly you've got QBs falling into the laps of our pass rush guys on the edge.

Holmes is good but Hutchinson was a no brainer. That might have been the fastest I’ve ever seen the pick come in.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Holmes is good but Hutchinson was a no brainer. That might have been the fastest I’ve ever seen the pick come in.

He's def had back to back no brainer lottery picks (Sewell and Hutch). Still worth noting given we had two GMs previously who often whiffed or under performed in those same spots of the draft (Ebron, Hock, Okudah).

I'll try to keep it in mind next year during the draft but at this point it's clear what they want: tough, relentless football guys with high college production. If the Jags had taken Hutch I would bet $5000 that we wouldn't have taken Travon Walker, who didn't really produce at Georgia. I doubt we would have taken Kavon either, given the questions about his work ethic. Glancing through that draft you can guess who their guys would be: Sauce Gardner, Drake London, Kyle Hamilton, and the other top WRs. In fact Holmes has said he traded back into the first round for Jameson Williams specifically because Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave were taken and he didn't want to miss the next elite WR on his board.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:patrice: you sure. We had people in here saying take Kayvon because he's a generational talent and we should pass on Hutch because he didn't look good against Georgia. To me it was clear, but it wasn't as much of a no-brainer as you would've thought.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The coaches don't need to explain anything when they're 3-1. THIS fan base can't complain about anything after going 3-1 for the first time in 6 years. If the wins keep coming, Gibbs and Jamo can do absolutely nothing, and it is what it is. This is like Niners fans complaining about the Lance picks when they have Purdy playing well and making it to the NFC championship game. If you're asking for perfection from Holmes and this coaching staff, I hope you're holding yourself to the same standards in life. Your tone after wins is unreal to me.
He's on pace for over 700 yards rushing, which is basically where I assumed he'd be after the draft. My issue is his utilization in the pass game. We heard all this stuff about his route running and abuse of LBs in the joint practices yet they aren't doing shyt. I don't get it either but I can only assume his role will increase. Especially once Jamo comes back. At that point, someone in the slot is gonna be constantly open. Do you take Amon Ra, LaPorta, or Gibbs? Those dudes are gonna feast.
Is it possible that Gibbs doesn't know how to line up or can't be relied upon to be where he needs to be when he needs to be there? If this is true, it's okay. He's a rookie four games into his career. I do recall him costing us a possession in a critical moment a few weeks ago.

I'll be alarmed if he's not playing a more meaningful role halfway through the season. And we need to place the blame in the player's lap, not the coaching staff. I remember reading an article that mentioned Jamo still couldn't line up correctly during training camp, and this fanbase still won't hold him accountable. If it's true, the only one who has to answer for anything is Jamo.

• Dap
Reactions: XII