Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

WE UP
a74mofI.gif

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The coaches don't need to explain anything when they're 3-1. THIS fan base can't complain about anything after going 3-1 for the first time in 6 years. If the wins keep coming, Gibbs and Jamo can do absolutely nothing, and it is what it is. This is like Niners fans complaining about the Lance picks when they have Purdy playing well and making it to the NFC championship game. If you're asking for perfection from Holmes and this coaching staff, I hope you're holding yourself to the same standards in life. Your tone after wins is unreal to me.

Is it possible that Gibbs doesn't know how to line up or can't be relied upon to be where he needs to be when he needs to be there? If this is true, it's okay. He's a rookie four games into his career. I do recall him costing us a possession in a critical moment a few weeks ago.

I'll be alarmed if he's not playing a more meaningful role halfway through the season. And we need to place the blame in the player's lap, not the coaching staff. I remember reading an article that mentioned Jamo still couldn't line up correctly during training camp, and this fanbase still won't hold him accountable. If it's true, the only one who has to answer for anything is Jamo.
Just because the Lions have been a joke our entire lives doesn't mean we can't raise the standards and expectations when they're finally good.

Of course Gibbs is gonna make mistakes; that's why you play him so he doesn't make them later in the season when the games are more important. When you see what Miami was doing with Achane, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't be a little frustrated with how they're using Gibbs:

Basically every run for Detroit is a basic, up the gut play. Gibbs should be getting some designed tosses/sweeps/counters. Why aren't they putting Montgomery and Gibbs on the field together? Why is every Gibbs pass route a knife route or just settle in three yards past the LOS? And it isn't like Gibbs isn't a physical runner and doesn't finish plays.

If they want to lean on Montgomery a little more for basic mashing, I get that, but the carry breakdown should never be 32-8. That's insane, especially when Montgomery isn't even a 4 ypc back (and never has been in his career). Montomgery's also going to break down if this is the work load they keep giving him with every single run being a physical one.

They're running a very vanilla scheme and have stalled out in the second half the past two weeks. Some of us just think they can do better and there's nothing wrong with that.

I will say, their schedule looks pretty cake the rest of the way. They're gonna drop some along the way but their toughest games are @baltimore, @Chargers, @New Orleans and @dallas.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:patrice: you sure. We had people in here saying take Kayvon because he's a generational talent and we should pass on Hutch because he didn't look good against Georgia. To me it was clear, but it wasn't as much of a no-brainer as you would've thought.
He was a Michigan man going to the home team. It was a match made in heaven.
Jamo is free!!! :blessed:
He gonna be ready?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
@Regular_P I would say this about Gibbs....Ben Johnson is officially out of excuses now that Jamo is back. I'm sure they're concerned about Gibbs' holding up in pass protection due to his size which is understandable. But outside of that I can't really think of any major reasons for the lack of snaps beyond feeding Montgomery (which has been effective). The only other thing that comes to mind is that this offense was likely designed with the assumption that Jamo and Gibbs would be on the field together. Draft was late April but even before then you can assume they knew Swift was probably gone right? So Ben Johnson was cooking up stuff under the assumption that he'd be getting a new toy, whether in the first round or later. I think it's clear the plan was Devon Witherspoon at 6, and trade up from 18 to get your RB. Things didn't go as planned but they still got their RB.

Jamo being on the field ensures a safety is sliding his side on down field routes. That's literally what is happening in Miami with Tyreek. You free that up and Archane can then eat in the slot or backfield. All he's gotta do is make a LB miss basically. Do I think the Lions could have done this without Jamo? Sure but it wouldn't have been as effective.

I doubt Jamo goes out there and puts up noteworthy numbers next Sunday. But it's gonna open up the playbook. Not just for Gibbs. LaPorta is gonna feast over the middle. St Brown will feast. Hell I could see Marvin Jones having some success now, on the opposite side of Jamo out wide. We can also do shyt like have Gibbs, Jamo, and Kalif out wide in speed packages. In short, I can't kill Ben Johnson for a lack of imagination yet. I think Gibbs will explode against Carolina.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Just because the Lions have been a joke our entire lives doesn't mean we can't raise the standards and expectations when they're finally good.

Of course Gibbs is gonna make mistakes; that's why you play him so he doesn't make them later in the season when the games are more important. When you see what Miami was doing with Achane, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't be a little frustrated with how they're using Gibbs:

Basically every run for Detroit is a basic, up the gut play. Gibbs should be getting some designed tosses/sweeps/counters. Why aren't they putting Montgomery and Gibbs on the field together? Why is every Gibbs pass route a knife route or just settle in three yards past the LOS? And it isn't like Gibbs isn't a physical runner and doesn't finish plays.

If they want to lean on Montgomery a little more for basic mashing, I get that, but the carry breakdown should never be 32-8. That's insane, especially when Montgomery isn't even a 4 ypc back (and never has been in his career). Montomgery's also going to break down if this is the work load they keep giving him with every single run being a physical one.

They're running a very vanilla scheme and have stalled out in the second half the past two weeks. Some of us just think they can do better and there's nothing wrong with that.

I will say, their schedule looks pretty cake the rest of the way. They're gonna drop some along the way but their toughest games are @baltimore, @Chargers, @New Orleans and @dallas.

I view things can be better and I demand answers as 2 different things. I agree, we can do things better.

Secondly, playing the rookie in a critical moment cost us a game and people went nuts blaming Goff. If he’s going to put us in a vulnerable position, you don’t play him just to give him experience. You give him game experience when he’s reliable.

Montgomery’s workload is a concern but maybe they have plans to taper it off when Gibbs gets up to speed?

And trying to mimic what the dolphins are doing is a great idea but installing these things in 1 week or 2 weeks doesn’t seem like a good plan. The dolphins had an entire training camp to come up with these ideas. Maybe the lions can install these plays over the course of a month and run them when they’re fully capable of achieving success? IDK :manny:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I view things can be better and I demand answers as 2 different things. I agree, we can do things better.

Secondly, playing the rookie in a critical moment cost us a game and people went nuts blaming Goff. If he’s going to put us in a vulnerable position, you don’t play him just to give him experience. You give him game experience when he’s reliable.

Montgomery’s workload is a concern but maybe they have plans to taper it off when Gibbs gets up to speed?

And trying to mimic what the dolphins are doing is a great idea but installing these things in 1 week or 2 weeks doesn’t seem like a good plan. The dolphins had an entire training camp to come up with these ideas. Maybe the lions can install these plays over the course of a month and run them when they’re fully capable of achieving success? IDK :manny:
None of these guys were late additions to the roster. They had all spring/summer to draw stuff up.

Sure, Gibbs fukked up, but that doesn't mean bury him. That wasn't the reason they lost either. The defense couldn't get a stop and Campbell went outrageously conservative when they could have won the game in regulation while saying he treated it like an end of first half situation (:snoop:).

The coaches also set an expectation for us by saying they were gonna use Gibbs in a bunch of different ways and they haven't done it. They said that, not me. :yeshrug:

And me saying this doesn't mean I'm not happy with the team and their success. I am fukking elated by what's going on. But it's not unreasonable to ask questions about some stuff when they could probably be even better.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
@Regular_P I would say this about Gibbs....Ben Johnson is officially out of excuses now that Jamo is back. I'm sure they're concerned about Gibbs' holding up in pass protection due to his size which is understandable. But outside of that I can't really think of any major reasons for the lack of snaps beyond feeding Montgomery (which has been effective). The only other thing that comes to mind is that this offense was likely designed with the assumption that Jamo and Gibbs would be on the field together. Draft was late April but even before then you can assume they knew Swift was probably gone right? So Ben Johnson was cooking up stuff under the assumption that he'd be getting a new toy, whether in the first round or later. I think it's clear the plan was Devon Witherspoon at 6, and trade up from 18 to get your RB. Things didn't go as planned but they still got their RB.

Jamo being on the field ensures a safety is sliding his side on down field routes. That's literally what is happening in Miami with Tyreek. You free that up and Archane can then eat in the slot or backfield. All he's gotta do is make a LB miss basically. Do I think the Lions could have done this without Jamo? Sure but it wouldn't have been as effective.

I doubt Jamo goes out there and puts up noteworthy numbers next Sunday. But it's gonna open up the playbook. Not just for Gibbs. LaPorta is gonna feast over the middle. St Brown will feast. Hell I could see Marvin Jones having some success now, on the opposite side of Jamo out wide. We can also do shyt like have Gibbs, Jamo, and Kalif out wide in speed packages. In short, I can't kill Ben Johnson for a lack of imagination yet. I think Gibbs will explode against Carolina.
Even without Jamo, they could have had both Monty and Gibbs on the field at the same time. Put Gibbs in the slot and use him in motion. The defense has to account for his speed. That'd open up even more lanes for Montgomery instead of crashing into defensive linemen at the LOS on every run.

I've just been disappointed with the lack of creativity.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

To be fair, Jamo was in training camp and a lot of reports said Gibbs was being used various ways. I'm sure Jamo needs time to adjust which is why I don't suspect he'll put up numbers next Sunday. But like I said, all he has to do is run some go routes, post routes etc to jumble up the secondary. Similarly you can have Gibbs, Jamo, and La Porta out wide with St Brown in the slot. There are a lot of things they can do now which will free up Gibbs to make plays.

That Kalif run last night was basically the same play Jamo did last year against the Bears; both went for 40 yards. Imagine that with Gibbs and Jamo. What does the defense do?

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
None of these guys were late additions to the roster. They had all spring/summer to draw stuff up.

Sure, Gibbs fukked up, but that doesn't mean bury him. That wasn't the reason they lost either. The defense couldn't get a stop and Campbell went outrageously conservative when they could have won the game in regulation while saying he treated it like an end of first half situation (:snoop:).

The coaches also set an expectation for us by saying they were gonna use Gibbs in a bunch of different ways and they haven't done it. They said that, not me. :yeshrug:

And me saying this doesn't mean I'm not happy with the team and their success. I am fukking elated by what's going on. But it's not unreasonable to ask questions about some stuff when they could probably be even better.
The only team doing this stuff is the dolphins. NOBODY else was installing these plays. Who else has an offense that looks like Miami's :skip:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The only team doing this stuff is the dolphins. NOBODY else was installing these plays. Who else has an offense that looks like Miami's :skip:
Hey man, Ben Johnson said he was gonna use Gibbs in unexpected ways. Instead, he's done nothing but basic stuff with him. Miami is doing the unexpected things Ben Johnson promised. :yeshrug:

Johnson is also the one getting constant hype about being a genius and basically having his pick for a head coaching job whenever he wants it.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
To be fair, Jamo was in training camp and a lot of reports said Gibbs was being used various ways. I'm sure Jamo needs time to adjust which is why I don't suspect he'll put up numbers next Sunday. But like I said, all he has to do is run some go routes, post routes etc to jumble up the secondary. Similarly you can have Gibbs, Jamo, and La Porta out wide with St Brown in the slot. There are a lot of things they can do now which will free up Gibbs to make plays.

That Kalif run last night was basically the same play Jamo did last year against the Bears; both went for 40 yards. Imagine that with Gibbs and Jamo. What does the defense do?
We’re going to be nice, no doubt about it.