Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

What happened to this show, man. An entire segment based off a false premise you can fact check in 5 seconds. In reality, Dalvin Cook wasn't a 1st round pick, and he did sign a second contract (after which he ran for 1500 yards). I get the advanced stats argument but Dalvin Cook isn't what prevented the Vikings from doing shyt. They had a horrible defense last season and got spanked in the playoffs (led by Saquon Barkley).

The Gibbs pick doesn't bother me, given the players who were on the board...and the fact that Jalen Carter was not on the Lions' board. If he reaches his potential he's not gonna look like Saquon or Cook, so the comparisons make no sense. He's gonna look like Alvin Kamara or Christian McCaffrey, both of whom received second contracts and are still really good. And if Gibbs reaches that potential, this team is gonna win playoff games. Simple as that.

Valenti failing to get the mike francesa job in NY, and 97.1 half-stepping the podcast move which he really wanted, made him start to kind of mail it in and not be passionate about anything besides college football. His NFL takes arent that good and they repeat talking points all the time and him and rico just support each other. Its not the show it once was, but not total trash during the CFB season. The pistons and tigers being trash definitely hurt the show.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Valenti failing to get the mike francesa job in NY, and 97.1 half-stepping the podcast move which he really wanted, made him start to kind of mail it in and not be passionate about anything besides college football. His NFL takes arent that good and they repeat talking points all the time and him and rico just support each other. Its not the show it once was, but not total trash during the CFB season. The pistons and tigers being trash definitely hurt the show.
Rico brings nothing to show. Valenti carries that station. If I listen to local these days its to Woodward Sports on Youtube. There morning show or Braylon Edwards show in afternoon

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I wish the helmet was grey instead of blue but I like the old school logo.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
That Honolulu blue is the sweetest thing about the lions unis to me. That color helmet with some white or grey unis is gone be fire.
It isn't Honolulu Blue though. :jbhmm:

I think it'd look better with the road whites than the gray alternates (which I love) but I'm not mad about it. I'm glad they're using that logo.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
It isn't Honolulu Blue though. :jbhmm:

I think it'd look better with the road whites than the gray alternates (which I love) but I'm not mad about it. I'm glad they're using that logo.
Your right. It hasn't REALLY been Honolulu blue since they changed from the Barry unis. But with most recent unis I still fukk with that color.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Made it out of rookie and minicamp without any major injuries. Can't tell much about this portion of the process but I've noticed some players rookies who step in day one looking legit at these camps end up transferring that to the field. Last year I remember the reports about Rodrigo looking like the best player on the field during rookie minicamp and even playing well with the vets in camp. I remember Quandre Diggs showing out the same way. This year it sounds like Gibbs, Sam LaPorta, and Brian Branch have flashed.

I feel like if Hutch, Paschal, and Houston take a next step it'll take us to another level. That plus Alim McNeil taking another step. He's lost a shyt ton of weight and looks great. He had like 10 pressures in that game against the Giants, and looked really good in multiple other games during our run. If we get interior pass rush it's gonna ensure QBs fall into the DEs laps, or lead to bad throws/INTs.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

GREAT interview. This is the most hyped I've ever been about a GM. In some ways Mayhew gets a bad wrap in the sense that he drafted a lot of really good players (who are still really good to this day) but constantly failed to plan ahead or build depth. He also fukked up the cap. Bob Quinn had some good draft picks, specifically o-lineman, but sucked overall and made draft nights a horror story more often than not. He also seemed to be a master of working hard at doing nothing. You know when you're half assing in a job but making it look like you're working hard? That was him, constantly churning the very bottom of the roster with bad players. He was also bad with the cap, despite cleaning up Mayhew's mess.

Holmes has been pretty damn good at all of it so far. Very good, consistent drafting. He's had misses but no one is perfect. And when you've got multiple mid/late round hits that are contributing or making Pro Bowls, you're doing something right. FA deals have been really good. Nothing debilitating for the cap, and no deals that are insanely long like what Bob Quinn used to do. Very rarely do we see an impulsive decision, and he has a keen eye towards the future. You hear fans on Reddit crying about us having 24mil in cap left and not using it but, that is clearly being rolled over into next year unless something crazy happens (major injury that requires us to go get someone). Paying Goff, Sewell, and Amon Ra are gonna be clear goals next year. I'm not a big Goff fan but if the Lions have the year we think they'll have, and the success we think they'll have...it'll be largely due to Goff, and he'll get paid. That's just the reality.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I thought this was interesting. The vid gives a breakdown of the lions tendencies in Ben Johnson’s offense.

I didn’t realize Goff was so efficient in play action. He really took advantage of the mismatches when they were present.