Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

6'2, 4.47. Nice.

Looot of noteworthy guys still haven't been drafted. Gonna be interesting to see how things go with the free agents in the coming hours.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is the final haul for the Stafford deal:
Rams: Matthew Stafford

Lions: Jared Goff, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Jameson Williams, Josh Paschal, Jahmyr Gibbs, Sam LaPorta, and Brodric Martin

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I wonder if the Matt Stafford of today looks at the decision to bail on Detroit differently. Yeah he did get a Superbowl but he's headed back into purgatory while Detroit is on the up and up. I wonder if he looks at what Goff did and think I could do better.

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
Love how the Lions actually have an identity and a vision. If the vision wasn't so clear I could understand more of the criticism but the team improved tremendously. Most of it is overthinking or finding reasons to complain or justify why you spent 2 months doing mock drafts while having zero clue what a team is prioritizing and why.

The positional value crowd isn't factoring Detroits win-now window. They drafted 3 day 1 starters with their first 3 picks and thats not including Branch and Hooker :damn:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I really like this draft the more I look at the players. Barring injuries I think the expectation for Gibbs is that he shows flashes of Kamara type production. I definitely think that's a possibility with the o-line we have and the other weapons on the field. He's gonna be in the backfield while St Brown is in the slot, LaPorta is at TE, Jamo is out wide, etc. Or he can be in the slot with St Brown and Jamo out wide, Montgomery in the backfield, etc. The offense is perfectly designed to take the next step. It's also perfectly designed to get Goff paid. Obviously if the Lions are willing to hand him a big contract it means he's played well and the team has likely had success so I can't be mad. But if they can't get a deal done, having Hooker could be a great fallback plan.

Defense wise I'm most interested in Brodric Martin.

Sure, Jack Campbell will play more and perhaps have more of a noticeable impact but if Martin is even just a serviceable NT, it will improve in two big ways. First off if he can get 15-20 solid snaps a game, that keeps Buggs fresh longer. Second the more snaps he plays the more he ensures McNeil can stay at 3-tech, where he excelled in the second half of last season. I thought McNeil was good last year and the year before but if he can truly take that next step this year he's gonna be the different maker. Stopping run plays and chasing QBs into the arms of Hutch.

My only complaint about the draft is the lack of CB depth. Sutton and Chase Lucas are the only CBs wil have signed beyond this season. I'd imagine we re-sign Jerry Jacobs since he won't be expensive but Mosley is probably gone after this season if he balls out. That's why personally, I would have drafted Deonte Banks over Jack Campbell at 18.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
I really like this draft the more I look at the players. Barring injuries I think the expectation for Gibbs is that he shows flashes of Kamara type production. I definitely think that's a possibility with the o-line we have and the other weapons on the field. He's gonna be in the backfield while St Brown is in the slot, LaPorta is at TE, Jamo is out wide, etc. Or he can be in the slot with St Brown and Jamo out wide, Montgomery in the backfield, etc. The offense is perfectly designed to take the next step. It's also perfectly designed to get Goff paid. Obviously if the Lions are willing to hand him a big contract it means he's played well and the team has likely had success so I can't be mad. But if they can't get a deal done, having Hooker could be a great fallback plan.

Defense wise I'm most interested in Brodric Martin.

Sure, Jack Campbell will play more and perhaps have more of a noticeable impact but if Martin is even just a serviceable NT, it will improve in two big ways. First off if he can get 15-20 solid snaps a game, that keeps Buggs fresh longer. Second the more snaps he plays the more he ensures McNeil can stay at 3-tech, where he excelled in the second half of last season. I thought McNeil was good last year and the year before but if he can truly take that next step this year he's gonna be the different maker. Stopping run plays and chasing QBs into the arms of Hutch.

My only complaint about the draft is the lack of CB depth. Sutton and Chase Lucas are the only CBs wil have signed beyond this season. I'd imagine we re-sign Jerry Jacobs since he won't be expensive but Mosley is probably gone after this season if he balls out. That's why personally, I would have drafted Deonte Banks over Jack Campbell at 18.

Lions gonna have crazy cap space space next year. If Moseley plays well doubt they let him leave. CJ Gardner will most likely be a rental since Branch is his likely replacement