Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Last week if someone showed us the picks we'd get day 1 and day 2, without showing the order they were drafted in, most of us would be hype.
:manny:

I like Hooker. Didn't want him in the first two rounds, and got my wish. If we can come away with a d-lineman in the 4th round I'm gonna feel really good. Also lot of receivers dropping. I'd have zero issues trading up to get someone like AT Perry who would be a great Chark replacement.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Brodric Martin. We go our nose tackle. Brad Holmes tends to tell us exactly what he thinks in press conferences and this is no different. Few weeks ago he said Buggs played too many snaps and they wanted to limit that, so he'd be fresher. Bringing in another NT accomplishes that goal and secured Alim McNeil at 3T. And if Levi is truly ready to go he can split reps at 3T, or even move McNeil to NT in passing downs where we blitz.

At this point my only hope is we find a way to trade Swift in order to get into the 4th or 5th round and pick up A.T. Perry who would be a dope X receiver for us.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
In such a weak draft I’m okay with forgetting positional value for need. Board just didn’t fall in Lions favor. None of top 3 QBs dropped. Anderson didnt fall. Witherspoon surprisingly went to Seattle. Carter is a headcase and Tyree Wilson has suspect medicals. No need for top Tackles. Gonzalez not cultural fit. Can’t say I’m mad at them passing over any particular player for Gibbs

Gibbs and Campbell are day one starters and will probably be in ROY running because these positions translate quickly.

They must hate Swift ass. Holmes was too hyped for the Gibbs pick

They certainly hate his (lack of) reliability :manny:
He doesn't have any dog in him. Duce was always on Swift's ass during Hard Knocks to run harder and tougher; to believe he was the best back in the league or at least run like he thought that. Clearly doesn't fit with the culture they're building. They want nothing but guys who get after it, which is what I want too.

I'm so fukking thrilled with how this draft's gone. Combined with what they did in free agency...it just doesn't feel real that the Lions are actually doing all this. Other teams do this, not the Lions. I feel like pinching myself.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I felt a bit shaky yesterday but after today I feel really good. Holmes correctly determined this wasn't the strongest draft and just focused on finding the best guys. This team got better, there's no question about it. And I love that Holmes didn't simply say ok the offense is good, I'm gonna focus on the defense. We addressed clear holes instead. Gibbs provides a dynamic weapon that can be on the field for much of the game. LaPorta can line up out wide or anywhere. I'm not sure how defenses are gonna cover all these guys. St Brown in the slot, Gibbs in the backfield on RPO, LaPorta blocking and then releasing, Jamo taking the safety down the field...pick your poison and you're getting 10+ yards nonstop. This team is gonna be moving the chains all game.

Defense wise the secondary is insane now with lots of depth. Branch is going to be in a perfect position to learn off the bench. If Brodric Martin is the real deal he'll be able to keep Buggs fresh. Buggs was logging in 40+ snaps last season, if we can cut that to 25-30 it's gonna work wonders. And now McNeil can focus on 3T rushing the passer. If he's able to consistently replicate half of what he did in that Giants game, when he had 10 pressures, we could be looking at a dominant line.

Not to mention the benefit for Hutch and Paschal on the edges, plus the other rushers. Interior line pressure could easily get Hutch up to 14 sacks.

Man if Levi is healthy this gets even better. I won't get my hopes up but...