Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

FaygoMI

All Star
Daps
I’m good. The difference between him and Suh is suh produced.

With they way the mocks are updating they are all over the place. We won't have a clue until after the combine.

As of now If it's not Carter or Anderson then I would love a trade back. I'd go as far back as 19. This draft looks like the talent is the same from 9-50.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
With they way the mocks are updating they are all over the place. We won't have a clue until after the combine.

As of now If it's not Carter or Anderson then I would love a trade back. I'd go as far back as 19. This draft looks like the talent is the same from 9-50.
I wouldn't trade that far back but I generally agree. Lions staff seem enamored with Christian Gonzales from Oregon, and they can get him in the 8-15 range. Interesting scenario for me is Carolina deciding to trade up to get their QB before the Raiders. They have two 2nd round picks (40, 61). I could see us trading down with Carolina to 9, and getting their 61st pick. That way we'd have three 2nd round picks.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Good breakdowns of the top DT and CB guys in the draft. After the combine I really think we're gonna see a lot of QBs, DEs, and CBs start moving up draft boards. Taking one at 6 isn't going to be a reach. I just don't see Holmes taking Bresee at 6 given his injury history and lack of production. Going edge also seems unlikely since we're stacked there, unless Will Anderson magically fell to us. With CB you get your choice of whoever you think is the best in the class. Then at 18 you go best player available.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
All that Rocket Science aptitude don't have have shyt to do with relating to and managing people and personalities. In his case it appears to even be to his detriment, if it's even legit.
It was to his detriment in a locker room full of men and dealing with at least one woman :troll:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
PFF grades are always suspect. Goff was money this year. There giving Ben Johnson all the credit for Goffs year and knocking him down for his play with Rams. So their grades have bias which makes them worthless

But I keep telling yall if Stroud, Young, or Levis are there at 6. Thinks lions pick QB. 3 of 4 remaining playoff teams have QBs on rookie deal. That is the current blueprint for building a superbowl contender without an all world QB like Mahomes. Letting whoever they draft sit behind Goff for a year and see if Goff can duplicate that same success next year. Ship him out for draft pick or player before he’s due for that extension. Goff will never be worth 40-50 million he’s going to ask for

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora

I don’t see anything wrong with what they said .

He had a Kirk Cousins,Dak Prescott kind of year,and we’ve never had an issue saying both of them are mid (hell nikkas will flat out call both trash ) ..Goff is on that level of QB just because he’s in blue and silver doesn’t change that .

Problem is upgrading from a mid-level to a high level/elite qb isn’t easy so you just can’t bush him because the guy you replace him with may not be better ..if you think Young or Stroud is that guy you have to get him (Lance in SF to take over for Jimmy G and Mahomes to take over for Alex Smith as examples) Both Young and Stroud will be gone by 6 so it’s a moot point.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
PFF grades are always suspect. Goff was money this year. There giving Ben Johnson all the credit for Goffs year and knocking him down for his play with Rams. So their grades have bias which makes them worthless

But I keep telling yall if Stroud, Young, or Levis are there at 6. Thinks lions pick QB. 3 of 4 remaining playoff teams have QBs on rookie deal. That is the current blueprint for building a superbowl contender without an all world QB like Mahomes. Letting whoever they draft sit behind Goff for a year and see if Goff can duplicate that same success next year. Ship him out for draft pick or player before he’s due for that extension. Goff will never be worth 40-50 million he’s going to ask for
You can’t argue with him throwing short of the sticks and having high potential turnover plays break his way this year. He’s won’t always get those breaks. I like PFF for this type of analysis. It puts his season in perspective.

I won’t be convinced about Levis until April if ever.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don’t see anything wrong with what they said .

He had a Kirk Cousins,Dak Prescott kind of year,and we’ve never had an issue saying both of them are mid (hell nikkas will flat out call both trash ) ..Goff is on that level of QB just because he’s in blue and silver doesn’t change that .

Problem is upgrading from a mid-level to a high level/elite qb isn’t easy so you just can’t bush him because the guy you replace him with may not be better ..if you think Young or Stroud is that guy you have to get him (Lance in SF to take over for Jimmy G and Mahomes to take over for Alex Smith as examples) Both Young and Stroud will be gone by 6 so it’s a moot point.
Instead of taking the qb’s in this draft I’d rather take a flyer on Lance.

There’s no way he’s going for a first. With him, we can go defense with our 2 firsts and give up something later in the draft for him.

We’d have our potential starting quarterback of the future with way less disruption to our team if he’s a miss.

I have a question for all the rookie contract guys. What is the end goal? If you don’t draft a mahomes and co. and end up with Goff 2.0 do you move on and draft another qb? Nobody is talking about this? Is qb the new RB? Are Qb’s disposable if they aren’t top 5?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
My problem with the QB thing is that this team has a clear window to win now, and all resources should be used to advance that goal. Using 6 to stash a QB for a year is a risk when I'm not sure any of these guys are surefire to be better than a 28-30yo Jared Goff in a year or two. I'd much rather take a player at 6 who can fill a hole and make this team better. We'd be able to take the best CB in the draft at 6. Or if Jalen Carter or Will Anderson magically fall to us (unlikely), we can take them instead. At 18 we can get a d-line starter or double down on another CB, whichever makes more sense.

Basically my draft hope is that we fix the defense (CB, DT), demote Swift by drafting an RB who compliments Jamaal Williams, and draft some o-line depth at guard. If we can nail those things this team should win the NFC North. When I think about things that could fukk up our plans or lead to a disappointing season (besides catastrophic injuries) it's basically stuff like...relying on Swift again and getting burned, or losing Vaitai to injury again or cutting him without a decent replacement, or the defense struggling early again. Or drafting a QB at 6 who isn't helping us win, while we watch the guys we could have drafted at 6 (Witherspoon, Gonzales, Tyree Wilson, whoever) thrive elsewhere doing the things we need.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
My problem with the QB thing is that this team has a clear window to win now, and all resources should be used to advance that goal. Using 6 to stash a QB for a year is a risk when I'm not sure any of these guys are surefire to be better than a 28-30yo Jared Goff in a year or two. I'd much rather take a player at 6 who can fill a hole and make this team better. We'd be able to take the best CB in the draft at 6. Or if Jalen Carter or Will Anderson magically fall to us (unlikely), we can take them instead. At 18 we can get a d-line starter or double down on another CB, whichever makes more sense.

Basically my draft hope is that we fix the defense (CB, DT), demote Swift by drafting an RB who compliments Jamaal Williams, and draft some o-line depth at guard. If we can nail those things this team should win the NFC North. When I think about things that could fukk up our plans or lead to a disappointing season (besides catastrophic injuries) it's basically stuff like...relying on Swift again and getting burned, or losing Vaitai to injury again or cutting him without a decent replacement, or the defense struggling early again. Or drafting a QB at 6 who isn't helping us win, while we watch the guys we could have drafted at 6 (Witherspoon, Gonzales, Tyree Wilson, whoever) thrive elsewhere doing the things we need.
My biggest fear is Goff turning into Dak, Carr situations. Big time money for mediocre QBs that need alot of help to win. Lions need contingency plan in case Goff reverts to old Goff with the happy feet and TOs. Getting rookie QB extends Lions window if they hit. I trust Holmes at this point to pick right one. Keeping Goff shortens window because he’ll be making close to 40-50 million a year. Sucking the cap dry

6th pick kinda no mans land. With both first rd picks just pick BPA. No Carter or Anderson. No true elite cb prospects. The DEs available are in the Romeo Okwara/Pascal mold- Big edge setters/not great pass rushers. No elite Olineman or WR prospects either. Think QB would be BPA considering. Even at 18 i would do BPA even if it's Bijan or Michael Mayer. Don’t necessarily value their positions like that but their truly elite prospects then go ahead. Drafting for need gets people fired honestly

I also think Holmes will be super aggressive in Free Agency. Think he signs atleast 3 defensive starters preferably a CB, off ball lb, and interior pass rusher. So when draft comes around they can go BPA. Lions window has opened. They should be favorites to win North. And have more momentum going into offseason than anyone but eventual Super Bowl champs.