Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
What’s the situation with Swift? Why do the Lions hate him?
I like Swift, he's super talented. The problem is that he can't stay healthy. When he's on the field and healthy the team is better. When he's on the field and unhealthy, or off the field with injuries...the team struggles. So I'd def draft someone like Zach Charbonnet in the third round. Jamaal Williams is likely coming back as the #1 back but mixing in someone like Charbonnet alongside Swift as your change-of-pace backs seems like a great idea.

The wild thing to me is that Swift came into training camp in amazing shape, according to the coaches. He worked super hard all offseason, put on some weight in hopes of helping him stay healthy...and still got a nagging injury in the first game of the season that got worse and worse. This upcoming season is simply too important to put our faith in him being there for us all season.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I like Swift, he's super talented. The problem is that he can't stay healthy. When he's on the field and healthy the team is better. When he's on the field and unhealthy, or off the field with injuries...the team struggles. So I'd def draft someone like Zach Charbonnet in the third round. Jamaal Williams is likely coming back as the #1 back but mixing in someone like Charbonnet alongside Swift as your change-of-pace backs seems like a great idea.

The wild thing to me is that Swift came into training camp in amazing shape, according to the coaches. He worked super hard all offseason, put on some weight in hopes of helping him stay healthy...and still got a nagging injury in the first game of the season that got worse and worse. This upcoming season is simply too important to put our faith in him being there for us all season.
There was chatter all season with differing reports from Swifts camp and the coaches about this injury. It honestly was confusing. It just seemed like they were scared or unable to give him more than 10 touches a game. He looked explosive with his limited use. The decisions regarding him were really all over the place from the outside looking in

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
There was chatter all season with differing reports from Swifts camp and the coaches about this injury. It honestly was confusing. It just seemed like they were scared or unable to give him more than 10 touches a game. He looked explosive with his limited use. The decisions regarding him were really all over the place from the outside looking in
He looked limited while dealing with whatever he was dealing with. Him at the start and the last few games of the season was night and day from him during the middle of the season. His explosion was gone and he was running timid as hell. Very talented back, like top 5ish talent, but he's damn near useless when he tries to play hurt. I like him but wouldn't mind seeing a guy drafted that threatens him or could be his replacement. With Holmes

And regarding Goff, I think the NFL has gotten people brainwashed into thinking the QB position is the end all at winning in this league. If you have a truly great one, then yes, that puts you in rare air where's your team is always a contender, but how often are there qb's like that really out there? There have probably been 5 or 6 in the last 30 years, yet folks always talk as if there are 3 off them in every draft. Goff doesn't have to be a top 3-5 QB, as long as the surrounding cast is strong and built in a way where they are sustainable, then team could be a constant threat. And with Holmes eye for talent that seems pretty doable. Mahomes is magic, don't get caught tryna catch lightning in a bottle when a perfectly good electrical outlet is sitting right next to you, just waiting on you to hit the "ON" switch to contention :yeshrug:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
He looked limited while dealing with whatever he was dealing with. Him at the start and the last few games of the season was night and day from him during the middle of the season. His explosion was gone and he was running timid as hell. Very talented back, like top 5ish talent, but he's damn near useless when he tries to play hurt. I like him but wouldn't mind seeing a guy drafted that threatens him or could be his replacement. With Holmes

And regarding Goff, I think the NFL has gotten people brainwashed into thinking the QB position is the end all at winning in this league. If you have a truly great one, then yes, that puts you in rare air where's your team is always a contender, but how often are there qb's like that really out there? There have probably been 5 or 6 in the last 30 years, yet folks always talk as if there are 3 off them in every draft. Goff doesn't have to be a top 3-5 QB, as long as the surrounding cast is strong and built in a way where they are sustainable, then team could be a constant threat. And with Holmes eye for talent that seems pretty doable. Mahomes is magic, don't get caught tryna catch lightning in a bottle when a perfectly good electrical outlet is sitting right next to you, just waiting on you to hit the "ON" switch to contention :yeshrug:
well said.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Goff might be the most inaccurate QB in the league when under pressure. In the playoffs when the offensive line won't always be pristine or pocket clean, a QB that won't fold under pressure/can deal with that will be paramount.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Swift has 2-3 games a year where he’s electric and a game changer.Then he gets injured and turns into a pumpkin .

Robinson with the 2nd first please

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Lot of good RB options, I wouldn't take Bijan in the 1st unless I was 100% confident he was Adrian Peterson or something like that. Charbonnet and Achane could give the offense that dynamic Swift feel without the nonstop injuries. I say pick one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI

Reminds me slower version of Barkley. Good not great speed. His yards after contact are insane though. Still think its too much of luxury to go RB in rd 1. Offense is loaded but I can understand WR if they lose Chark or if their is a premium guard prospect at 18. RBs can be found later.

Lions fans have love hate relationship with Swift but when he’s on he is a top 5 talent at RB in NFL. Going into contract year. Think they should just run it back next year and draft developmental back later in draft

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Reminds me slower version of Barkley. Good not great speed. His yards after contact are insane though. Still think its too much of luxury to go RB in rd 1. Offense is loaded but I can understand WR if they lose Chark or if their is a premium guard prospect at 18. RBs can be found later.

Lions fans have love hate relationship with Swift but when he’s on he is a top 5 talent at RB in NFL. Going into contract year. Think they should just run it back next year and draft developmental back later in draft

His lack of breakaway speed makes me iffy at drafting him in the first round. Rather have a guy who's a home run threat.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Lot of good RB options, I wouldn't take Bijan in the 1st unless I was 100% confident he was Adrian Peterson or something like that. Charbonnet and Achane could give the offense that dynamic Swift feel without the nonstop injuries. I say pick one in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Charbonnet looks like a perfect fit for what they're doing. Big, physical back with vision, shiftiness and speed. The way he finishes some of his runs...:picard:

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
Is it just me or did detroit media create this ben johnson hype train?

I know he got a some national praise towards the end of the year, but they werent saying teams are going to knock the door down for him like his own city was saying Am i wrong on that?

How often do OCs who had one good season in total, get coaching opportunities? Did Eric Bieniemy give up on being a HC? Just seems real premature to anoint Ben

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Lions second 2nd round pick moved from 60 to 55 due to the Vikings loss.

@Regular_P yup he looks VERY good.

Lot of scenarios to think about with the second round picks. If we don't get d-line help in the 1st round, can Holmes stay patient and see if his guy(s) is still there at 49? He's taken d-linemen in the second round in each of the previous two drafts, so if he's not sold on Bresee or the DE/DT guys (Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson) I could see him waiting to address it in the 2nd round. Just hypothetically let's say...

6: Christian Gonzales - CB1
18: Brian Branch - Safety/Nickel replacing Will Harris, and can eventually replace Tracey Walker (two years left on his deal)

49: Best DL available. Gervon Dexter from Florida? Tuli Tuipulotu from USC?
55: Best guard available. Andrew Vorhees from USC?

And then you pray you can get Charbonet or Achane in the 3rd round at 82.
:lupe:

That way you fix the secondary, add a DL starter alongside McNeill, get your guard replacement in case Evan Brown and/or Vaitai get let go, and upgrade at RB within the first 80-something picks of the draft.

Last edited:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Is it just me or did detroit media create this ben johnson hype train?

I know he got a some national praise towards the end of the year, but they werent saying teams are going to knock the door down for him like his own city was saying Am i wrong on that?

How often do OCs who had one good season in total, get coaching opportunities? Did Eric Bieniemy give up on being a HC? Just seems real premature to anoint Ben
Hot shot white offensive coordinator. Teams looking for next McVay

Johnson definitely has a great feel for playcalling. But lions offense is so stacked with talent. So much easier to call plays when you have elite oline. Good run game and the QB has all day to throw.

OC candidates around the league would love to have shot with lions level of talent. So not really worried about Johnson leaving

Bienimy is black has criminal background and doesn’t call plays