Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Lions second 2nd round pick moved from 60 to 55 due to the Vikings loss.

@Regular_P yup he looks VERY good.

Lot of scenarios to think about with the second round picks. If we don't get d-line help in the 1st round, can Holmes stay patient and see if his guy(s) is still there at 49? He's taken d-linemen in the second round in each of the previous two drafts, so if he's not sold on Bresee or the DE/DT guys (Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson) I could see him waiting to address it in the 2nd round. Just hypothetically let's say...

6: Christian Gonzales - CB1
18: Brian Branch - Safety/Nickel replacing Will Harris, and can eventually replace Tracey Walker (two years left on his deal)

49: Best DL available. Gervon Dexter from Florida? Tuli Tuipulotu from USC?
55: Best guard available. Andrew Vorhees from USC?

And then you pray you can get Charbonet or Achane in the 3rd round at 82.
:lupe:

That way you fix the secondary, add a DL starter alongside McNeill, get your guard replacement in case Evan Brown and/or Vaitai get let go, and upgrade at RB within the first 80-something picks of the draft.

Personally, I wouldn't wait past the second round to nab one of those guys if they believe in them. I know RBs don't have as much value anymore but that's the only thing missing from this offense.

They need a playmaking LB too. I don't know much about the linebackers in this draft but I wouldn't mind Holmes taking one in the first couple rounds.

I trust his judgment regardless of what he does at this point though. :yeshrug:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Is it just me or did detroit media create this ben johnson hype train?

I know he got a some national praise towards the end of the year, but they werent saying teams are going to knock the door down for him like his own city was saying Am i wrong on that?

How often do OCs who had one good season in total, get coaching opportunities? Did Eric Bieniemy give up on being a HC? Just seems real premature to anoint Ben

Hot shot white offensive coordinator. Teams looking for next McVay

Johnson definitely has a great feel for playcalling. But lions offense is so stacked with talent. So much easier to call plays when you have elite oline. Good run game and the QB has all day to throw.

OC candidates around the league would love to have shot with lions level of talent. So not really worried about Johnson leaving

Bienimy is black has criminal background and doesn’t call plays
It's wild, even for a white guy. McVay was an OC for three years; DaBoll bounced around for over a decade as OC; Kyle Shanahan OC'd for nearly a decade and his dad was a Super Bowl winning coach.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Personally, I wouldn't wait past the second round to nab one of those guys if they believe in them. I know RBs don't have as much value anymore but that's the only thing missing from this offense.

They need a playmaking LB too. I don't know much about the linebackers in this draft but I wouldn't mind Holmes taking one in the first couple rounds.

I trust his judgment regardless of what he does at this point though. :yeshrug:
This kinda kills the excitement for me but I’ll take it. I want Bijan, Holmes could publicly state Bijan’s off the board and I’d shrug it off.

I can’t imagine an outcome this draft that would have me question our direction. QB in the first, shrug. Tackle with the first, shrug, Deckers outta here I guess. RB not named Bijan in first, Shrug.

It’s finally good to be a Lions fan.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I can dream about you
486cb4b0-91e7-11ed-b7df-16bdcdebf097

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
It's wild, even for a white guy. McVay was an OC for three years; DaBoll bounced around for over a decade as OC; Kyle Shanahan OC'd for nearly a decade and his dad was a Super Bowl winning coach.
First year is a premature fire that kind of look for certain, but the league has been heading in that mode of chasing an offensive guru to lead their franchise ever since McVay was anointed the golden boy. It's gonna swing to heavy offensive guys until the pendulum swings the other way and a few dominate defenses emerge to slow down this offensive output.

The other thing that helps Johnson is that the high output offense off Detroit isn't led by some perceived MVP type QB like Mahomes, Allen, or Burrow. It's being done with a QB that was considered a try throw away on the top of the trash heap that they had to include a first Rd pick just to take. I still think the Detroit infrastructure is not getting enough credit for his success (that sounds so weird to say) from Holmes to Campbell, and even guys like Staley and Brunell. He's got Campbell's leadership, Holmes eye for talent, Brunell and Staley's experience, etc. There's a lot of shyt in his favor for him to be successful. And he was groomed by Campbell by everyone's account, so I'm not TOO too worried if he does leave, but I do like the idea of giving at least one more run with this whole group intact for the sake of stability and continuity. It could be something special on the horizon.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
This kinda kills the excitement for me but I’ll take it. I want Bijan, Holmes could publicly state Bijan’s off the board and I’d shrug it off.

I can’t imagine an outcome this draft that would have me question our direction. QB in the first, shrug. Tackle with the first, shrug, Deckers outta here I guess. RB not named Bijan in first, Shrug.

It’s finally good to be a Lions fan.
I was just thinking a few days ago...no matter what happens, I don't gotta worry about us drafting some random unathletic LB from Hawaii in the second round. Or drafting a CB in the second round who is slower than a nose tackle. Mayhew hit some home runs but most of them were obvious, high first round picks. Quinn was a disaster outside of a couple great o-line picks. Common denominator was crafting rosters with no depth, where 1-2 key guys missing games doomed everything. Now we got a guy who can fill out the top and bottom of a roster....and he values athletic players.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Would yall entertain lions 1st this year and 1st next to sign Lamar Jackson? Then lions could easily deal Goff for atleast a 2nd from someone. They can probably trade down from 6 to get more picks too

Last edited:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Would yall entertain lions 1st this year and 1st next to sign Lamar Jackson? Then lions could easily deal Goff for atleast a 2nd from someone. They can probably trade down from 6 to get more picks too
Nope. Best ability is availability and we’d have to change everything about this offense to suit Jackson’s skill set. I’m good.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Is it just me or did detroit media create this ben johnson hype train?

I know he got a some national praise towards the end of the year, but they werent saying teams are going to knock the door down for him like his own city was saying Am i wrong on that?

How often do OCs who had one good season in total, get coaching opportunities? Did Eric Bieniemy give up on being a HC? Just seems real premature to anoint Ben
What helps him is that people soured on Goff after the rams won the chip and no one thinks their offense is “stacked”

Going into this season there was a huge idea that 22 was gonna be Goff’s last year as a starter in the league and he would be a backup bouncing around from this point ok

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Thoughts on Bresee at 6? He's starting to hit top 10-15 in mocks and the combine will prob determine whether he's a top ten pick or not. My concern is that he has an injury history and missed a lot of games; part of that was also him missing some games due to his little sister dying of cancer, which is understandable obviously. Still I wonder if Holmes feels this is too much of a gamble given that the main reason we're drafting a DL is because Levi, who also had an injury history, isn't available.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Thoughts on Bresee at 6? He's starting to hit top 10-15 in mocks and the combine will prob determine whether he's a top ten pick or not. My concern is that he has an injury history and missed a lot of games; part of that was also him missing some games due to his little sister dying of cancer, which is understandable obviously. Still I wonder if Holmes feels this is too much of a gamble given that the main reason we're drafting a DL is because Levi, who also had an injury history, isn't available.

I’m good. The difference between him and Suh is suh produced.