Off-Field Issues, On-Field Problem - Official 2015 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
:ufdup: Don't let a draft spot fool you, there are plenty of 1st rounders who upon further review should've been picked a lot later than they were selected. Trae Waynes was a highly sought after CB and here he is in the HOF game.

He was replaced by Terence Newman in the dress rehearsal against us:russ:, seriously though CBs have it harder than anyone and if the more polished Trae is struggling this early why wouldn't Byron as well:manny:

My stance hasnt changed, im not expecting all pro play but I do expect some sort of day 1 impact from first rounders. Draft spot is plenty meaningful in my opinion, imagine if Anthony Spencer was a fifth rounder, I'd be sitting here today like :leon: wow that was a great pick. But as a first rounder he was a disappointing pick based on performance.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
My stance hasnt changed, im not expecting all pro play but I do expect some sort of day 1 impact from first rounders. Draft spot is plenty meaningful in my opinion, imagine if Anthony Spencer was a fifth rounder, I'd be sitting here today like :leon: wow that was a great pick. But as a first rounder he was a disappointing pick based on performance.
Blame the organization not the player.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Blame the organization not the player.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Jones will be fine. Again, he played well throughout most of the game. The transition will be tougher for him considering they are trying to play him at Safety and CB. Meanwhile, I don't even think I saw Gregory out there last night which is good news.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
You're saying you expect production from a 1st rounder out the gate, but Byron didn't select himself at #27 the organization did. You can look up my old posts in this thread and see that i said Jones would be the one to struggle out of the three #1 picks.
Let me clarify what i said so there's no confusion.

1. I said would wait until I see Jones in season to formulate opinion.
2. I said I expect day 1 impact from a first rounder, impact meaning the guy can go out on the field and not be a net-negative with his play. I clearly said Im not expecting all pro play out of the gate.

You out here acting like i slandered the guy.

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
Let me clarify what i said so there's no confusion.

1. I said would wait until I see Jones in season to formulate opinion.
2. I said I expect day 1 impact from a first rounder, impact meaning the guy can go out on the field and not be a net-negative with his play. I clearly said Im not expecting all pro play out of the gate.
Thank you. We basically drafted a project with our first round pick when there were better players on the board. We couldve took Perryman or Brown and solidified our front 7 for the next 5 years. Also, we arent a rebuilding team. We are in win now mode. We cant afford to let this guy develop the next 2-3 years while Romo's prime is winding down.

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
Jones will be fine. Again, he played well throughout most of the game. The transition will be tougher for him considering they are trying to play him at Safety and CB. Meanwhile, I don't even think I saw Gregory out there last night which is good news.
What makes you guys so sure he will be ok? He doesnt make plays on the ball, and didnt even in college. We are talking about a guy we drafted that was supposed to make Carr expendable either this season or next, but is 5th on our depth chart.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
when you're a super bowl contender, you want your 1st round pick to come in and be a main contributor day 1. that' what gregory is doing and that' what collins could do if an injury comes up. your 1st round pick shouldn't be behind the great corey white and tyler patmon on the depth chart. bringing up scandrick's development is fufu b/c he was a 5th round pick and he was having to play the slot position which is much more difficult.

CaughtInTWebb

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big D, Texas
I didn't watch the 2nd half so I scoured the last few pages for reaction. Posts #1569-1575 :lolbron:

I'm reserving judgement on Jones until I see him in the season. Someone mentioned Scandrick struggling earlier and that's true, I remember watching him get done up by Mario Manningham and Steve Smith, yes the Steve Smith that isnt even in the league anymore :scusthov: But Byron is a first round pick so I have first round expectations, this team hasn't hit on a first rounder on that side of the ball since D Ware

That dude used to give Scandrick nightmares man.....

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
when you're a super bowl contender, you want your 1st round pick to come in and be a main contributor day 1. that' what gregory is doing and that' what collins could do if an injury comes up. your 1st round pick shouldn't be behind the great corey white and tyler patmon on the depth chart. bringing up scandrick's development is fufu b/c he was a 5th round pick and he was having to play the slot position which is much more difficult.
Neither Gregory or Collins are playing CB so i don't see the comparison, different positions take a certain amount of time to develop. I would say DL & WR are the easiest, and QB & CB take longer since there's more to learn.

Thank you. We basically drafted a project with our first round pick when there were better players on the board. We couldve took Perryman or Brown and solidified our front 7 for the next 5 years. Also, we arent a rebuilding team. We are in win now mode. We cant afford to let this guy develop the next 2-3 years while Romo's prime is winding down.
And what would we do at CB with Scandrick now out for the year? The front 7 has looked pretty damn impressive so far and Keith Smith who the Cowboys took last year has looked very good. I'm not saying he's going to be great i'm just saying it's going to take a little time, and while everyone is salivating over the other choices the Cowboys could've had they're wait & see as well. They've looked good in the PS but let's see if they maintain it during the regular season.

Last edited:

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
Neither Gregory or Collins are playing CB so i don't see the comparison, different positions take a certain amount of time to develop. I would say DL & WR are the easiest, and QB & CB take longer since there's more to learn.

And what would we do at CB with Scandrick now out for the year? The front 7 has looked pretty damn impressive so far and Keith Smith who the Cowboys took last year has looked very good.
Byron isnt a top 4 corner as of now, so I dont understand what you are trying to say. Mo and Carr will be on the outside with Patmon manning the slot in 3 wide sets. So our first round draft pick isnt top 3 on the depth chart at his position as of now. If Scandrick werent hurt, he wouldnt be top 4. How is this acceptable for a team in win now mode? On top of that, this was more of a need pick as opposed to best player available.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Byron isnt a top 4 corner as of now, so I dont understand what you are trying to say. Mo and Carr will be on the outside with Patmon manning the slot in 3 wide sets. So our first round draft pick isnt top 3 on the depth chart at his position as of now. If Scandrick werent hurt, he wouldnt be top 4. How is this acceptable for a team in win now mode? On top of that, this was more of a need pick as opposed to best player available.
Who's to say that will be the starting lineup for the rest of the season? Claiborne has shown a tendency to get hurt and we don't know how Carr & White will pan out, so at least with Jones that gives us much needed depth.