OCTOPATH TRAVELER II (PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PS5, PS4) (February 24, 2023)

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which of y'all prefer voice acting in this game? Japanese or English

Canon

Veteran
Daps
just copped and finally get to sit down and put some time in it this weekend

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I'm 20-something hours into it now (got mad time in at work tho week due to much appreciated downtime:ahh:). Got 4 party members, at level 24 for my main with the rest slightly behind that. Story beats been cool so far, albeit each individual's stuff is disconnected and I'm at times unsure of what main path (if there even is one?) to go on. Just unlocked 2nd job for one of my characters as well. Enjoying it pretty well.

The music in this joint is outstanding so far. I listened to the 1st OST in its entirety this week and it's pretty good, but this game's OST blows it out the water. What's really dope about it too is that each town/area has a day and night time version of its theme and it very seamlessly switches into it whenever the time of day changes in either direction, regardless if you force the time change or it happens naturally. The music will chime in right on the sequential notes of either timeframe. That's dope! Too bad Square being dikks about putting it on streaming sub services.

Last edited:

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Just copped. I slick wanna start with Osvald because he has an interesting story but I started with Cyrus in the first game so I wanna mix it up now. More than likely gonna roll with Hikari

ThisWorldAintRight

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Osvaldo, Throne, and Hikari have really dope stories so far. Cassti and Temenos are pretty interesting as well.

Partitio and Agnea not so much, haven't started Ochette yet.

Game has me more hooked story wise than the first game.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I am completely enthralled by this game now. Already got 40+ hours in and just got all 8 characters, ending with Agenea, Osvald & Temenos. I still have Temenos & Agnea's first chapters to go through and just finished Osvald's chapters 1 & 2 this morning and finished Partitio's and my main's Hikari 2nd chapters days ago. The stories are incredibly well done. Some dope ass presentations with each one as well. Really liking Hikari, Partitio's and Osvald's the most so far.

Got almost all of the 2nd jobs opened up, but need about 1 or 2 more. Game is definitely certified already.

Last edited:

moniemane

Pro
Supporter
Daps
I got the game still in plastic because I'm playing octopath cotc I'm 180 hours in

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
beat throne and osvald story and on chap 5 of hikari.

This is easily one of the best jrpgs Ive played in years :wow:

Voice acting (jp ofc) is phenomenal

As is the English VA tho, lol. Do you understand Japanese fluently? Otherwise, for a non Japan theme setting, Ionno why one would subject themselves to any language that isn't their own these days for a game with this much dialogue when English VAs take and do the work just as good (or better) as Japanese VAs tho. Plus it's easier to still keep up if you ever have to not look directly at the screen. The disparity in voice work quality ain't like it was in the 90's. And if you going for authenticity in dialogue, it's not going to be translated in text any better than it is vocally either. So censored content is still missed, unless you underdig Japanese.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
As is the English VA tho, lol. Do you understand Japanese fluently? Otherwise, for a non Japan theme setting, Ionno why one would subject themselves to any language that isn't their own these days for a game with this much dialogue when English VAs take and do the work just as good (or better) as Japanese VAs tho. Plus it's easier to still keep up if you ever have to not look directly at the screen. The disparity in voice work quality ain't like it was in the 90's. And if you going for authenticity in dialogue, it's not going to be translated in text any better than it is vocally either. So censored content is still missed, unless you underdig Japanese.

I just switched it when I started and never switched back :dead:

not even on some weaboo shyt cuz I don't even fukk with anime, the emotion they evoking is brazy. on a replay I'll play it in english.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
beat Chapter 3 of Throne's story. went with her first since she's a thief just like I did in the first game.

Also got the Grand Terry ship, hit up Roque Island for some nicer gear.

Inventor on Throne has been clutch using catapult to clear mobs when grinding.

the music is relaxing and the visuals are top notch. will upload some screenshots later when I can put the controller down for more than 30 seconds.

def better than the first game so far, nothing major but a lot of improvements across the board.