"NYK will surprise the NBA"...I believe 'em too. 19-20 NYK Offseason Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I agree. Any lineup with:
R.J./Frank where R.J. is the PG and Frank guards PGs is the best lineup.
Knicks need to start those two and Randle. I would rather start Gibson over Robinson but Robinson might be the better buy.
I wouldn't start DSJ or Knox. Both them need to be on the bench. Especially Knox.
Starting Knox will be the death of the Knicks and it seems that's the direction Perry/Mills wants to go in and it's stupid af.

I’d start Knox at first just to see where his development truly is, but our best 5 man unit might be
Frank
RJ
Dotson
Randle
Mitch

To be fair, Payton might be just as good if not better fit next to RJ but I’m not sure what his off ball game looks like.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Knox has no define skill-set other than having great size and talent. His BBIQ is trash. His feel for the game is awful. His awareness is extremely low. He is not instinctive at all, very reactive. Doesn't know when to pass or shoot. Tends to just do whatever he feels he should do, not impacting the game whatsoever. His defensive instincts is horrible. His off ball defense is horrendous and puts everyone out of position, he flashes man defense potential in iso situations but if the ball is moving or his man is moving, he is lost. The nikka trash af.
I hear you on those weaknesses but his shot is pure. I can see him becoming a 40% 3PT on voluminous attempts in the future and he’s 6’10, that’s the intrigue with him. He isn’t instinctive and he’s a chuck, his defensive I.Q. is bad and he lacks awareness on both ends. He has poor footwork and coordination and lacks burst, he doesn’t have a great first step or even open floor speed honestly. But the guy is still 19 you’re being hard on him. He has shown us outside of shooting that he can draw fouls and had some nice rebounding games too last season.

His Summer League performance and Rookie of the Month December is a glimpse of his potential.

Ntlikina is honestly a lost cause man. His best attribute is his defense but even there he is very prone. This is his last season to show us something if he even makes it to opening night.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
And the bolded is why you take a chance and hope experience and our supposed development inclined coaching staff will work magic.
main reason the knicks took knox is cause he destroyed mikal bridges in 1 on 1 work outs. at the 9 pick outside the top of the draft you swing for homeruns with players with talent and hope they put it together. again, he's 19.
he has A LOT to work on but the knicks have a lot of time to see that through, unfortunately :mjlol:
rj being a more do-it-all type of player more than likely makes it easier on knox.
brother looks like a deer in headlights most of the time and you can see the wheels turn...but when he has it rolling....he can really be rolling.
it's a wait and see with him. ...you dont win a rookie of the month by complete accident...the talent is there....the mental part has to be drilled into him...so is consistency...but that can be said about 90 percent of rookies.

:snoop: shyt like this is embarrassing to say. 1v1? This shyt shows massive incompetence my g. The game is a 5v5 where concepts, versatility, execution is king. The Knicks would probably workout Jamal Crawford and Klay Thompson 1v1 and think that's a good decision to based who to select off the results of that game. The NBA ain't that basic my G. The point of workouts is to see how players react to different situations, how quickly they react, how is their shooting in this type of environment, are they as athletic or as not athletic as they look on tape. If you basing draft decisions 1v1 games. You need to fire whoever that is making the decisions. The tape matters. I don't believe in the stats as much but I think the tape matters a ton. You basically saying the Knicks looked passed the tape/stats/etc and went with 1v1 game and the fact that he is a better shooter than he showed in college?

It's still to the day one of the biggest question marks for me in that draft next to the Clippers taking Jerome Robinson in the lottery of last year. If you want to gamble on his "potential" be my guess but I don't see much. His highlights are what we all know he is. Talented, good shooter, and excellent size. But highlights never seem to cover all of the other possessions or even the entire possession when he did score. Show you the decision making, feel, etc. It's like a Thon Maker highlight. It's like you see what you want.

Ain't no player gonna make it easier for Knox when he will just make it harder for all others around him. Low BBIQ only benefit from great players at limited actions. We seen it with LeBron/J.R., CP3/DAJ, etc. Even then, R.J. ain't at the level yet. He still is in the finding it all out stage. He don't need a knucklehead holding him down.

He did win that shyt by accident, his numbers in December didn't validate that shyt. That was writers punishing Trae for his shyt Nov and having to vote for him because they had no other choice. Since Knox numbers on a raw basis wasn't awful, he gave them a measure to punish Trae for that bullshyt of a November he had. Knox was trash every month with December at least showing raw numbers and even then, the percentages were meh and the Knicks won like 2 games he even played that month.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He doesn’t have to play point guard per se, but he’s gonna need to initiate a lot so he’d be best fit next to a pg who can guard the better matchups and play off ball. Frank fits that bill perfectly. And Randle isn’t a point forward, he’s just good at grabbing rebounds and running a break.

Much better game from RJ today. Getting a few drives early did a lot for his confidence so he didn’t need to press. And looked a lot better picking his spots while running the offense.

I watched a lot of Randle cause I hated on him early and Randle does a lot of the same things RJ does one of them being grabbing boards and Running the break

RJ was doing this well today. RJ is good coming down hill

And in the half court RJ seems to need the ball at all times to be effective kinda like he did today

It is what it is, if it’s RJs Team DSJ will just need to fall back and hopefully be more of a shooter

Frank might be a perfect fit with RJ we have yet to see but both of them play very slow so I can’t see that being a good thing unless FRANK is at the 3 or RJ is playing point forward with DSJ and Frank at 1 & 2

Maybe Knox is a bench player in this scenario.

My main issue here is for RJ to excel one of Knicks young core (Knox, DSJ, Frank) will have to take a major backseat or probably get traded.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I hear you on those weaknesses but his shot is pure. I can see him becoming a 40% 3PT on voluminous attempts in the future and he’s 6’10, that’s the intrigue with him. He isn’t instinctive and he’s a chuck, his defensive I.Q. is bad and he lacks awareness on both ends. He has poor footwork and coordination and lacks burst, he doesn’t have a great first step or even open floor speed honestly. But the guy is still 19 you’re being hard on him. He has shown us outside of shooting that he can draw fouls and had some nice rebounding games too last season.

His Summer League performance and Rookie of the Month December is a glimpse of his potential.

Ntlikina is honestly a lost cause man. His best attribute is his defense but even there he is very prone. This is his last season to show us something if he even makes it to opening night.
Talent and size is his calling card. Those who like him will point to that.

Just saying I don't believe it's reliable. I have no metric to say this type of player will ever be successful.

Frank is only lost cause if you lack the personnel

Guile

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
RJ doesn't have any aspect of his game that pops out at you. Yeah he's you can tell reads the game well when he isn't jacking up shots but besides having an nba body nothing pops out. Not his handles, passing, shooting, midrange, etc. I don't think he will be a bust because he understands the game it's just that to me it's hard to project him. Most guys that are drafted that high come into the NBA with a high level skill.

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
For those of you who wonder how I seem like a "old head Knicks fan" despite the fact that I was born in '99, well - it's because I watch and read stuff like this:

This documentary is from 30 years ago (1989). It's obviously outdated but it's still a good watch. Watching videos like these don't even make me think twice about not jumping on the Nets bandwagon. That's because without the Knicks there would be be no f*cking New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets. The Knicks ARE New York basketball, I couldn't give a f*ck about the Nets.

Also, this video just shows you that whenever the Knicks win another championship: New York City will explode and whichever Knicks team does win Championship #3 will be LEGENDS in New York, FOREVER!

KD & Kyrie winning a title with the Nets just won't even be close to the same. #KNICKSTAPEFOREVER

Last edited:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I fell asleep for solid chunks of this one so no full recap, just some cliff's notes observations:

- RJ went 17, 6 and 10 with 3 blocks and still did it in a manner that didn't really leap off the screen. The one thing that continues to flash is his vision though. The kid can see the floor and has been more open to passing each time out. Of course he looked his best with the ball in his hands consistently and that's the story for a lot of our guys which is scary. We've seen progressively better performances from RJ regardless which is a good sign.

- Iggy came back down to Earth but still made a lot of nice plays and decisions. He just also made some TO's and pulled a jumper or two that I felt was a force. I can't tell if he's a good defender or it's just that he looks good compared to the trash defense we've witnessed from the team.

- Knox was inefficient and tanked from three last night but I do give him credit for some nice rebounds and drawing a ton of fouls. When he's focused on attacking, there are results...some good, some bad but things happen at least.

- I wonder if Mitch was told to focus on drawing contact with his screens. He sets some soft screens but last night he got called for a couple of illegal screens and actually drew some contact. The rest of his game has been almost on cruise control and his timing hasn't been great (ie: a bunch of bad fouls and goaltends all SL long). We know there's another gear to his game though and he's still racking up boards and blocks; 14 boards and 3 blocks last night.

- Allen was disappointing again last night. I'm even disappointed in his defense overall.

- Wooten is still really raw but worth developing.

- Cavanaugh is refreshingly reliable. He does good things out there and hit 2 more three pointers.

- I'm horrified that the communication and overall defensive play of the team has been horrendous. There aren't enough playmakers on this roster; when Allen plays like he did last night there aren't any playmakers. The ball movement has brief flashes of good but it's mostly lacking. We really need growth from DSJ and help from Payton because I don't see Pills ever emphasizing ball movement and playmaking. Even our FA haul is lacking in that aspect which is kinda crucial. You can't have teams where everyone is only good with the ball in their hands, we're watching a SL debacle because of this problem.

NY's #1 Draft Pick

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Besides storytellers synopsis and a few other brehs analyzing last nights game this thread has become annoying as fukk. Trolls are overrunning it and I can’t stand that shyt. Ima start blocking people which I never do. Fekkits coming in here ruining my knicks posting experience. If you’re a fan of another team and come here to create a dialogue about what’s good or what’s going wrong then we welcome that. We even welcome a few jokes here and there. If you’re trolling on a daily basis you’ll be blocked and I suggest you other knicks brehs do the same too:camby:

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Besides storytellers synopsis and a few other brehs analyzing last nights game this thread has become annoying as fukk. Trolls are overrunning it and I can’t stand that shyt. Ima start blocking people which I never do. Fekkits coming in here ruining my knicks posting experience. If you’re a fan of another team and come here to create a dialogue about what’s good or what’s going wrong then we welcome that. We even welcome a few jokes here and there. If you’re trolling on a daily basis you’ll be blocked and I suggest you other knicks brehs do the same too:camby:

This is the first time I've ever had to put someone on ignore in this thread. Matter of fact this might be my first time ignoring anyone on this site.

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
None of your core young guys seems to be “it” brehs. I don’t see it :francis:
Mitchell Robinson has the highest ceiling of them all and that’s not really a compliment. He reminds me a lot of Jarrett Allen.