Nvidia CEO: The Push To Teach Kids To Code & Learn Computer Science Is A Waste Of Time, A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) Will Be Taking Those Jobs

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
“Don’t bother learning to code” is going to turn into the “Looking for graphic designers who can do hands” of our time

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
until AI can do all of this and connect them together:

- Database Creation/Management
- Rest API
- Front End
- Back End/CMS
- CI/CD Runner
- Load Balancing
- Autoscaling
- SSL installation
- Image Optimization
- NPM package dependencies, compatibility
- Git
- Unit testing
etc

Still a long way away of taking over these jobs, right now it's good for code snippets and instant answers rather than having to read documentation.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
He's 100% right. They are not telling the the public the truth about where AI is right now. The versions we are using are the beta/weak versions. They already have much more advanced versions that the government is currently using. Even Trades won't be safe once the robotics side improves but Trades will be the safest jobs because we are about a Decade out from the robotics being that good. Meanwhile all Jobs that need Technology will be on the bubble. AI can answer phones, write emails, write articles etc. 50% of the workforce is going to be shaved off in the next 7-10 years.

But all the Tech/Office/Admin jobs are going to go first but you should definitely teach your kids technology and how to use AI. They will need new type of "Coder" called an AI PE (Prompt Experts). They will still need humans to input the prompts but one human will now be able to do like 20-30 jobs with the right prompts. The bottom line, get familiar with AI people. And yes Creative People, AI coming for Art, Music, Movies too. AI can do a High Definition book cover in minutes based on prompts what a graphic designer takes weeks to do. We saw the Sora demo make a 1 minute detailed movie based off a prompt. Imagine when it's good enough to do a 2 hour movie or 30 minute TV show. Nothing will be exempt. They are incorporating it into everything. I just saw the AI Galaxy Phone commercial the other day.

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
I chose a traditional engineering major instead of computer science in school and always felt like it was a mistake because of how much more money CS grads were making after graduating.

But the boom/bust nature of that industry, the leetcode grinding, the constant need to stay current on new languages and frameworks, and now this suscesptibility to AI...I don't feel as much regret these days.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
You don't know what you don't know though. That project manager doesn't know what they don't know: Unconscious Incompetence

Yeah, that's a basic surface level app that isn't deployed and hasn't been attacked over time. A seasoned professional would know those things and account for them, making the A.I's job and implementation more thorough. Throttling, lazy loading, XSS protection, localization, etc. are something a more experienced engineer would know to tell an A.I to implement and actually make it easier and more efficient for the A.I to get it right the first time with fewer iterations and more thorough, robust features. A team of experienced engineers bringing that to an A.I would kill her project (who basically went up against engineers not using A.I).

I'm willing to bet that if deployed the apps designed by engineers using A.I would scale far better in the long term, in the real world under stress than the project manager's codebase using A.I outside of a basic hackathon project. Does it stand the test of time is always the real question and contributor to value and a company's foundation.

this is why AI agents are poised to be the next big thing, they're there to cover blindspots, automatically review/evaluate and give feedback based on roles assigned,

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
this is why AI agents are poised to be the next big thing, they're there to cover blindspots, automatically review/evaluate and give feedback based on roles assigned,
Like I said though, you still got to learn that stuff. It ain't like the Matrix where you can upload it into your brain seamlessly. I think some of you guys are mistaking A.I for that.

How you going to really understand the feedback these A.I's give you, waiting for your input without learning what they're really talking about? Worse yet: only having a surface level understanding of things and giving it the "OK" only to really get yourself tangled later. Being the casual, no matter how good A.I gets, you're the bottleneck until you actually take the time to learn what it is you and it are doing. You still must build knowledge and expertise, that's what all these non-tech, non-STEM people tend to find out sooner or later.

Someone who has learned that stuff over time and has much more context and understanding of the technical details will be far better off using these A.I's than somebody going from scratch and learning it for the first time. Who would be more valuable and desirable on a team?

Last edited:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
For y’all tech heads. Will AI replace the cybersecurity field?

Nope, AI will always give out false positives.

You will always need someone to check it out.

You will have less skilled staff however, which means entry level is gonna pay peanuts soon.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
True AI is still a few decades away.

What’s going on right now is Machine Learning. That’s it.

Companies will still hire coders, just not that many, because productivity will be better per worker.

Junior and entry level programmers have to be more skilled and have more book smarts.

That’s all.

However, one conundrum with apps like ChatGTP is it pulls all of its data from the internet. And if the internet becomes inundated with AI generated content, eventually AI will be simply learning from other AI.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
until AI can do all of this and connect them together:

- Database Creation/Management
- Rest API
- Front End
- Back End/CMS
- CI/CD Runner
- Load Balancing
- Autoscaling
- SSL installation
- Image Optimization
- NPM package dependencies, compatibility
- Git
- Unit testing
etc

Still a long way away of taking over these jobs, right now it's good for code snippets and instant answers rather than having to read documentation.
What is stopping AI from connecting all of those things? Right now I'm managing the AD environment for a Fortune 100 company and here's a normal workflow:
  • I receive request in either Service Now, Slack, or my Email telling me something needs to be done.
  • I look up the documentation in our enterprise system for the steps
  • I create a change request, in service now detailing my changes and update Jira
  • During my change window I implement my change and post my validation.
  • I close the service now ticket and jira task
I highlighted load balancing and SSL installation because AI can do that right now. The company uses Venafi for certificate management and has AWS load balancers and ChatGPT can interact with both of those.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
I saw a good comment about this topic. It said “legal documents are written in plain English but that doesn’t make lawyers obsolete just because everyone can read and speak English.”

In other words just because people can type a prompt into a ChatBox doesn’t mean they have the technical expertise to actually generate a prompt that will yield the desired results. AI in this case wouldn’t eliminate the need for software engineers but instead change programmers jobs from writing code to writing prompts

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I saw a good comment about this topic. It said “legal documents are written in plain English but that doesn’t make lawyers obsolete just because everyone can read and speak English.”

In other words just because people can type a prompt into a ChatBox doesn’t mean they have the technical expertise to actually generate a prompt that will yield the desired results. AI in this case wouldn’t eliminate the need for software engineers but instead change programmers jobs from writing code to writing prompts
Someone actually put it great once on Reddit, something like: I don't interview and hire people based on their potential. I hire people based on the kind of problems they've solved and how much experience they're bringing in. (It's also low key how you need to word your resume)

Making something in software means you're going to run into a gang of problems and bugs while building whatever you're making. It works, but it's doing this weird thing. Now that works, but it's doing this when it has these inputs, etc. All the way until you (mostly) got it built. All of those are problems and require a lot of experience and nuance in order to get it all working as expected (or as close as possible). Writing doesn't cover all that because a lot of that granularity matters.